Time for the 2009 Spring/Summer Flower Thread

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickB.

Reaction score
I think many of us enjoyed the photography, beta and education in last year's flower thread.
So let me start it off for 2009 with a Hepatica shot from the southeast slopes of Middle Pawtuckaway, taken today, April 10.

3428951621_8fae9f3ef5.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Rick!

Beautiful shot! Nice eye to find them! I'll be out tomorrow, but we're heading north and expect mud and slush. I haven't spotted any wildflowers yet. Maybe we'll look around here Sunday.

KDT

A lil history...

A Quick look-back!
The past few years, the board has amassed a couple of informative threads on the progression of wildflower blooms across the areas they hike.

For those who look forward to each step of the changing seasons from white to green, these threads have been invaluable:

2008:
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21925

2007:
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16638

I hope that there is as eager participation in this thread over the next month and a half as we await the great flowers that carpet our forests before summer!

I saw my first wildflowers of the season today! A bunch of coltsfoot near the AT
in Etna, NH on a southerly facing gravelly slope.:D Pretty soon I'll be seeing Spring Beauties, Violets, and Trout Lilies.:cool: I'm hoping to see a Wood Lily somewhere this year.....

I also almost stepped on a woodcock today on the AT in Lyme! Scared the hell out of me!
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Woodcock/lifehistory

Last edited:
Jason - Wood Lily surprised me the first time I saw them. We were on the lower open leges of the trail up South Moat. I wondered how the petals stayed on the stem. They seemed to stand out from the stem under a magic spell. Haven't seen them anywhere else.

Last year, there were some cool shot of critters that are signs spring is here....
I thought I'd continue the tradition.:)

2298062120099656796S600x600Q85.jpg

I found this amorous couple (wood frogs?) next to a vernal pool not far from the AT. Even though it was still mostly frozen over, it was louder that Times Square with all the amphibians lookin' for love.:rolleyes:;)

I wish I had my camera today! On my way to the bank I saw an American Kestral. I think they are one of the prettiest birds I see in the Upper Valley!
I always see them this time of year in the same spot. They sit on the power lines overlooking a hay field I frequently drive by. Sometimes I see a pair, but today just one. Here's a pic from the web:

89377437.B4rubB6K.jpg

I also saw Bloodroot, and some Trout Lily leaves, but not flowers yet....

Ayup, spring is here:
3453926896_fbd12dd403.jpg

Not long after taking this shot I saw a red-tail hawk with leather straps (edit: they're called "jesses", apparently) tied to its legs. I wish it had occurred to me to hold out my arm and call it down.

Last edited:
Hiked pawtuckaway north on saturday, no new flowers, but many hepatica. A few trillium in full leaf and bud, but not in bloom.

Canoe'd the lamprey river from raymond to lee Sunday, and saw lots of spring beauty in bloom, and trout lillies ready to pop.

Going back to shoot the beauties later today!

Jim

I got/saw my first dandelion this weekend. :)

Daffodils, crocus are up and hyacinthus are about to open, of course they aren't wild flowers but you've never seen my yard.

Heard my first Winter Wren and saw my first butterfly (dark, with white on wing edges) of the season on Sunday -- Mt. Hedgehog.