Mt. Kinsman Trail: Relocation of Trailhead (and a New 0.3 Mile Trail Segment)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
I don’t know how many folks might be aware that the trailhead for the Mt. Kinsman Trail has been relocated. It was certainly news to me!

As I was driving by the former trailhead location I noticed a sign had been posted. I turned around, and went back to the trailhead and snapped the photo below.
100_1706.JPG

I then went to the new location for the trailhead. Very nice! Hey! No more parking on the shoulder of the road.:) Hope this lot will be plowed in the winter!!
Below is a photo of the new trailhead parking lot taken from Route 116.
100_1705.JPG

Of course, I just had to hike this new 0.3 mile segment of relocated trail. It also is very nice.
A great job was done by what I presume was a Forest Service crew.

Wow, that is new! I hiked via the old trailhead on April 2 - there were no signs for the new trail back then.

I recall seeing on January 4th (as well as April 2) a set of yellow-flagged trees on the Mt. Kinsman Trail partway in (there may have been some tracks too, I don't remember) - I assume that might be where the newly routed trail connects to the old one.

I recall seeing on January 4th (as well as April 2) a set of yellow-flagged trees on the Mt. Kinsman Trail partway in (there may have been some tracks too, I don't remember) - I assume that might be where the newly routed trail connects to the old one.

Yes, the yellow flagging is where the newly routed trail connects to the old one. As you might also recall, this yellow flagging is just a few hundred yards from the old sugarhouse which (according to the WMG) is/was 0.6 miles from the former trailhead. Using the relocated trail, it's only 0.3 miles to this same point. So, it seems to me that travel on the Mt. Kinsman Trail just became 0.3 mile shorter!:)

This is great. I really like climbing from that side of the mountain, but always afraid of not having room to park. I remember the first time over there trying to find that old trail head. I had the spot way pointed on my GPS and still passed it 3 times before I found the old stone pillars.

Sometimes there is a silver lining in those clouds.

Nice!!

That is my preferred route to the Kinsmans and actually having a place to park is excellent news indeed...

I wonder if the hiking dog who lives somewhere near the bottem of the old trail will adapt..Followed my group up a couple of times..good hiker!

I wonder if the hiking dog who lives somewhere near the bottem of the old trail will adapt..Followed my group up a couple of times..good hiker!

Gosh, that dog, named "Rowdy," has been gone for years! RIP. The other hiking dogs, Simone and Blue, live north of the old trailhead and won't venture down to the new southern trailhead.

oops..sorry to here that

Rowdy joined for a couple of hikes ..seemed like just yesterday but obviously, as time flies, a little longer ago than that