Adirondack hiker looking for VT or NH day hike trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobK

Reaction score
My wife & I are headed to Woodstock, VT for a few days late July. We’d like to do a day hike with some views and I’m looking for suggestions. If the weather is good, I’m thinking about heading over to the higher peaks/ridges in NH to enjoy some time above tree line. We are in good shape but not regular peak baggers. A 6-8 mile trip with a 2k vertical would be enjoyable, with a loop preferable to out & back. Very open to peaks in VT if they offer a good view.

I have the AMC White Mtn guide from 1987 with maps #4,5,6&7. I also have the Trail Map & Guide to the Whites from Delorme 1:100,000. I don’t have any detailed hiking maps of VT. I have an Outback, and don’t mind a few miles of dirt roads if that opens up more possibilities.

We’d rather have fewer people with lesser views vs. the opposite. Any tips appreciated along with driving/parking guidance and what other map(s) I should get.

If your base is Woodstock, it will take a bit longer to get to the NH Whites than it may look on the map as there are no direct routes. I'd look in VT, and there's a great hike just south of Woodstock - Mt Ascutney - you can take Rt 12 south out of Woodstock. Lots of choices for trails, but by favorite is via Wethersfield. It's a monadnock, and in a river valley, so that means its views in all directions are very good. Not a 4K, but since it starts at a relatively low elevation, it's a good workout, but not over the top. A little firetower/platform on top adds to the views. It's known to the locals, but won't be mobbed by any means. My wife and I have it to ourselves several times.

Try Mosilauke. It is closer to the VT border and it offers you some great views with a decent sized above-treeline walk. You can make a loop using the Gorge Brook trail for up and the Asquam Ridge trail for down. SHould fit your bill perfectly.

Brian

I like the Moosilauke suggestion. It's above the treeline a monadnock of sorts. The western whites are often overlooked. Any mountain hit midweek will have fewer people. Those you do meet at Moosilauke will be memorable (in a good way.) Do consider staying for dinner at the Ravine Lodge. It always makes me feel young again.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~doc/moosilauke/ravinelodge/

The downside is that it's 73 miles from Woodstock, but you were considering go as far as the presidentials (?) this is a fair compromise.

While Ascutney is a relatively close and decent suggestion...for me it never really falls into any kind of "favorite" hike category. If you're going to take the time to hike and you're not often in VT, I'd take the time to visit Camel's Hump or Mansfield. Or up to the Worcester Range near Waterbury to hike Mt. Hunger. And if you can somehow arrange it so that you drive through or near Waterbury after 3pm...stop at the Alchemist. Great micro-brew, great food. Best reason to hike around Waterbury.

On the way up in the morning get off at the Montpelier exit, follow signs to the Business district (I think) and get some baked goods and coffee at either Capitol Grounds or the pastry shop run by the New England Culinary School.

Moosilauke is not near The Alchemist. ;)

This is a good observation, but just to review some options already mentioned and add my two cents:

If you're willing to drive a little, either hit Mount Mansfield from Underhill via the Sunset Ridge and Halfway House Trails, or Camels Hump from the east doing the Dean Trail loop over Wind Gap, or Mount Moosilauke. You really can't go wrong on any of these, though they each have their pros and cons.

Of course, you could do the Franconia Ridge loop, which is bound to have people but for good reason -- it is spectacular. But this is pushing beyond the boundary of an 8-mile, 2000' elevation gain limit.

Ascutney is a great peak with awesome views stretching from Mount Washington to the Adirondacks (as I recall) and while it may not make my "top favorite" list either, it is certainly worth doing, especially if you are in the area anyway. And indeed it is not near the Alchemist, but you can always visit the Harpoon Brewery in Windsor!

There is much other good hiking in Vermont, and not far from Woodstock, but it is a different experience than the high peaks of NY or NH.

You can avoid some of the crowds that one frequently sees on Moosilauke summit by just visiting South Moosilauke. The views are great and you can see into the ravine that you miss from the summit of Moosilauke. You could take the Snapper trail and the Carriage road from the Ravine Lodge in the East or the Glencliff Trail would knock off about 10 min of driving.

Driving down I-95 Sat nite (the 4th) after a visit to the relatives, we caught all the fireworks (town-sponsored and not) between 9 and 10:30om. Cool. The 'independent' displays were nothing to scoff at.

Could hardley call me a White Mtns expert but perusing the maps and my memory, the Welch-Dickey loop which is by Campton would be a nice 4.4 mile loop with what looks like fantastic views. We could see those peaks while driving between Campton campground and where we were staying in Osceola Vista. They look to offer fantastic rocky ridge views and is a short hike. I can't vouch for it's popularity, if it is going to be mobbed or not, but it's not a 4kr.

My friend and I were considering doing these peaks after hiking the Hancocks on July 4th but the weather was crap so we didn't.

Jay

Could hardley call me a White Mtns expert but perusing the maps and my memory, the Welch-Dickey loop which is by Campton would be a nice 4.4 mile loop with what looks like fantastic views. We could see those peaks while driving between Campton campground and where we were staying in Osceola Vista. They look to offer fantastic rocky ridge views and is a short hike. I can't vouch for it's popularity, if it is going to be mobbed or not, but it's not a 4kr.
The Welch-Dickey loop is a deservedly very popular hike. Nice hike. Nice views.

Some steepish slabs going up Welch. (Most prefer to go up the slabs rather than down.)

There are some flat slabs N of Dickey which are a short nice sidetrip. (Good lunch spot--the crowds tend to stay on the trail.)

Doug