Blue Job Mountain - 9/1/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooperhill

Reaction score
Weather like this makes me wish I was hiking in the Whites. I hate that work gets in the way. I love that this site is big enough for the pemi loops, presi traverses, and the much smaller hikes. This is a much much smaller hike. There's something to be said for local trails and maintaining open spaces not just in the Whites (or elsewhere). Blue Job Mtn. is far from wilderness but as with anywhere you can find solitude and beauty if you want.

I arrived at the trailhead near sunset with my dog Maggie. There were two cars in the parking lot but I wouldn't see anyone on this hike. I decided to hike the smaller peak for lack of time. I have to say I'm depressed at the state of the trails on Blue Job. There are many herd paths and erosion problems. I would love to get a group together to address it but I only have a basic knowledge of trail maintenance. I wonder if anyone else has noticed a sad state of trails in state-owned lands?

We quickly made it out of the woods and into the open area below the smaller North peak. Close to the top of the north peak, I was treated to a beautiful orange/reddish sky in the west - outlining the Belnap range, kearsarge and others. Sunsets are great but I like that period just after sunset even better - same goes for the time before sunrise. With no one else up on the peak this night, I really enjoyed the sense of solitude and being alive in nature. The moon had also risen from the east so it was a great contrast. There were still views to the north of the Whites - Carter Notch and Chocorua are always easy for me to pick out. Portsmouth and the Maine coast were all lit up to the east.

I'll easily admit I'm not comfortable hiking in the dark so we quickly made our way down. I was far from surprised that Maggie dog decided to follow me down the mountain. My brave dog! I enjoy these smaller hikes with Maggie as she is getting older and has trouble with heavy mileage now.

The two cars were still in the lot. Time to head home for dinner. White Mountains this weekend hopefully. This will hold me over for now.

Good hike!

Nothin' wrong with hikin' Blue Job at sunset. Nice TR, reminded me of hikes I did with my old dog. My present one is gettin' old, too. 10 this week!

KDT

have enjoyed many a fine afternoon/evening on blue job. the views from the north summit can be really stunning around sunset. i have to agree about the erosion issues and the number of places there will be some (particularly on the "new" part of the loop from the firetower summit) if nothing is done. i've done some brushing in a couple spots to keep people on one route, but in others it has been tossed aside.
i would be all for a blue job trail day if people are game. i think a lot could get done with a small group of folks. large would be even better.
thanks for the trip report.

bryan

Blue Job sounds ok

Check with park rangers or NH parks website to see if they're looking for trail adopters. All it would take is one local like you to stimulate others to pitch in. Might even be opportunity to take one of the forest service trail adopter courses. Magic of social networking VFTT style can be the means for following through. It's nice to have a local trail to call your own. Being local permits you to get out and do small projects at odd moments of free time. Getting involved with one of the trail maintaining groups like Cardigan Volunteer Trail Crew or WODC etc. can furnish skills and experience to take on more interesting trail improvements.

Jazzbo,

I contacted that person and cc'd the trails email. Her email auto-response said she was out indefinitely. In better news, I'm planning to head out with the AMC on 9/12 and the Trailwrights on 9/19 for work crews. Thanks.

I LOVE Blue Job!!! It's about 8 miles from where I live, so I can get there within 15 minutes. For a little peak, it's got a LOT of bang for the buck! Sunsets can be spectacular and I love that you can see all the way to the Whites - including Mt. Washington!!