Hiking Apps for the iPhone?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawsofmotion

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any must-have iPhone apps for planning/tracking hikes, studying flora/fuana, tracking weather or anything else?

I downloaded EveryTrail for the iPhone. It works like a GPS tracker, giving you distance, speed, etc. It also allows you to embed photos taken on the phone into your track.

It's kind of a cool gimmick but isn't very useful for real hiking as the battery life of the phone is pretty short when running this application. It also can't run in the background meaning that when you are using this application, you can't do anything else with the phone.

I carry a cell phone just in case of emergency. I wouldn't want to exhaust my battery on a gimmick like this while hiking. I think you're better off with a real GPS if you are looking for this kind of capability.

For localized weather forecasts -- Find the NWS station that serves the area in question. You can do this by starting at the Gray/Portland station. Use your desktop/laptop to find a location for which you want forecasts.

Once you get to the home page for the station in question, you're not limited to a town/city name. You can select a point in the middle of nowhere if you wish. (Just watch out for elevation influences on weather patterns.) Make a bookmark for the forecast page for that location and then transfer the bookmark to your iPhone. You'll see forecasts, nearby current conditions, rain/snowfall reports, and even live radar images.

Yes, you could do all this on the iPhone, but it's harder to get the precise location you want using that tiny screen.

Is there an app that wont let you make a call, unless you are above tree line, visibility is near zero, the wind is above 50 MPH, it's after sunset, and Neil has been known to be in the area? :eek:

:D :p :rolleyes:

iBird Plus is a nice application which, in addition to the usual photos and descriptive info, plays the birds' songs.

And, if you're camping, Star Walk is a great app for star/planet ID.

Latest Weather Channel app has a radar loop with future projection.

Last edited: