Kinsmans 10/26/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We started our hike to North and South Kinsmans via the Mount Kinsman Trail off of Route 116 at 7:55 am. We always wanted to do the Kinsmans from this side but were unable to find the trailhead. However, with the addition of an expanded parking lot, the trailhead was more assessable and easy to find. Walking along the new trail marked with yellow and pink ribbons it was somewhat slippery after the recent rains. Temperature at the start was 32 degrees.
An abandoned bucket lay alongside the trail.

Kinsmans1.jpg

We approached an old sugar house shortly thereafter.

Kinsmans2.jpg

Crossing the streams did not provide any challenges considering the 2 to 3 inches of rain that fell the other day.

Kinsmans3.jpg

We reached Bald Peak (2470’) at 9:45.

Kinsmans13.jpg

Here is the view looking southwest to Moosilauke and the Benton range.

Kinsmans4.jpg

The trail so far was a mixture of mud and slippery rocks with all the moisture providing ideal conditions to the growth of moss on neighboring boulders. Icy spots became more frequent.

Kinsmans5.jpg

Reaching the Appalachian Trail and climbing towards the wooded summit of North Kinsman our first view peeked thru an open spot in the trees.

Kinsmans6.jpg

Ascending the ridge towards south Kinsman we looked back towards North Kinsman.

Kinsmans7.jpg

Finally reaching the summit of South Kinsman at 1pm.

Kinsmans8.jpg

Here is the view towards Franconia Ridge and The Bonds.

Kinsmans9.jpg

Returning to North Kinsman we stopped at the open ledge just below the summit where there were 180 degree views towards Franconia Ridge.

Kinsmans10.jpg

Including Mount Liberty (left) and Mount Flume (right).

Kinsmans12.jpg

We arrived back at the van at 5:30 pm; completing our hike to our first and second 4,000 footers of this trip.

Beautiful pictures and I especially enjoyed seeing the view from Bald Peak, which I didn't have time to visit when I took this route a week ago!

Hope you have a great time up here and I am looking forward to reading about the rest of your vacation!

nice report, great pics. I'm headed for Liberty & Flume later this month so I especially enjoyed the pic of those two

Very nice tr! The trip out to bald knob is well worth the view especially when it is cloudy at higher elevations like it was on our last Kinsmans trek. There is a very cool flume just below this knob you might want to check out on a return trip. There is a small sign and it is about 100yds off the trail. Thanks for sharing your trip photos!

Funny Hat

This TR is worth looking at just to see Jimmy Legs in that hat! :)

More great stuff!

KDT

Kevin, Happiness is: Sitting in the woods of the White Mountains, eating two fluffernutters, and wearing a funny hat. ;)

Kinsmans14.jpg

That AMC hat was purchased at the Pinkham Notch Center about 5 years ago and is made in New Hampshire by Chuck Roast. Believe me, that hat is nice and warm; yet breathable.

Mike

Fluffernutters YES!

The juries still out on the hat...

I can't let Jude see it or I'll be looking at one on every hike... ;)

You're at a traffic light. A Rolls Royce Silver Shadow pulls up next to you. The window rolls down.

"Pahdon me, but would you have any Marshmallow Fluff?"

KDT

That AMC hat was purchased at the Pinkham Notch Center about 5 years ago and is made in New Hampshire by Chuck Roast. Believe me, that hat is nice and warm; yet breathable.

Mike

Nice trip report..be careful with that "HAT". With Chuck roast being out of business it might be a Collector's Item someday!

Great report! The Kinsmans were my first winter hike - brings back some memories! :) No "through the trees" on N. Kinsman that day - I think we were on top of several feet of solid snow.