Round and about the Presis..Madison, Adams, Pierce, Eisenhower 1/23-24

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverfox

Reaction score
How blessed are we to have had such a fine stretch of January weather..the forecast looked good..the plans were drawn..

Madison and Adams were the plan for saturday..the forecasts were quite divergent as to windspeeds etc but we decided to give it a go, make the hut, and take it from there. We were unable to drag Sabrina off the ski slopes so Tim Val and I made a group and started out from Appalachia around *:00. There we had our first of several meet ups with Bob and Geri and group and enjoyed chatting with Hiker Bob and others in the lot..

Valley Way was packed out and perfect for snowshoes and we made good time in the calm winds and cool temps and passed several groups on the ascent. Pausing for a break near the tent sites we heard voices..it happens in the mountains..and Geri and group came charging up and we chatted some more about what a fine day this was..

Once past the tentsites the views to the north and eat open up and we were greeted with excellent long range visibility..still the winds were lacking..we got more out into the sun..yeah baby..this is what I'm talking about!!! Terrific.. After coming over the crest of the ridge the wind picked up a little and we ducked around the side of the hut for a snack before heading up Madison. All in our groups had snowshoes though we saw crampons, microspikes, and one very nervous fellow in fisherman creepers..he was not happy as the cone was fairly firm in spots with some areas of hardpacked ice glazed snow..snowshoe traction worked perfect and we were soon standing in awe at the summit..temps in the teens with 15 mph winds..wow!!!

We lingered a bit then dropped down to the hut and snacked a bit and headed for Adams..sunscreen and sunglasses needed today as everything was covered in snow on this very sunny day...Just about everyone had a big smile on this day!. The traveled footbed diverged from the regular trail a bit and followed a more direct line across the snowfields to the shoulder of Quincy Adams..this kept us quite a ways away from the King Ravine lip and that was fine. From there we we headed across windblown snow to just past the Air Line Jct where we followed a line across the snowfield that brought us to Lowes Path a couple of hundred feet above Thunderstorm Jct.
We turned and followed up that angle on a somewhat trodden way which is so much more pleasant that the rockpile route of summer. After chatting with Bob and Geri a bit we wished them well on their traverse and made for our goal of the day..Adams..

A bit more wind here..estimated by Obs person at 30-35 mph but it was still fairly warm so presented no hardships and we lingered a bit.. Amazing how warm it felt about 200 feet eblow summit on descent where we turned around the corner into the snowfields where the panaorama to the north and east was spellbinding. We had friends out hiking all over the place this day..Bonds, Moriah, Cabot, Passaconway, Tripyramids..but were pretty sure we had chosen the right day for this route..Lots of people on the mountain and nice chatting with many of you.. I guess we were on an adrenaline rush and just missed meeting Marty and group..I think we just nodded hi near the hut as we were headed down after chilling a bit at the hut..alligator eggs..got to remember the alligator eggs..
The trip down Valley Way was smooth and easy and we left snowshoes on until the car..what a fine day out..

so how do you follow that day..

gotta get back jack..make up a new plan sam..

again, the forecast for sunday were all over the place..getting cloudy..winds picking up..maybe some mess by late afternoon..blah..blah..blah..

We downsized our plans a bit based on weather and picked up Sabrina and Terra in the morning for a Pierce/Eisenhower attempt via the Crawford Path..let's see how it goes..

I started off a bit slow and chilled a bit..Sabrina was breaking in some new boots.. Terra was fussing with her booties and worrying about the herd..so we kept a slow pace to the hut cutoff where we snacked and remarked on the lack of gray jays there...Glimpses of blue sky between the trees and puffy clouds offered promise..Lots of snow in the woods here and many trees have succumbed to the heavy snowload and wind..could be some tough damage if predicted ice storm develops.. Lots of blowdowns and bendovers along the next stretch and we cleared out several piles and saw where others had as well.

Coming onto the corner by Pierce we were greeted with brilliant cobalt sky..far reaching views..maybe marginally more haze than yesterday..but no wind.. We chatted with a group finishing up their weekend traverse..they were all aglow and we smiled and laughed our way to tag Pierce..one of my favorite vantage points..Strong sun..no wind..the urge was to just sit a spell and soak it up and we lingered a little but Eisenhower beckoned and we were soon on our way.

The trail here between the summits passes through some scrubby wooded areas..everything cloaked in snow..lots of tree damage..we followed a path that followed the least resistance..not always right on trail but close. We were a bit below the knob on the west side and slabbed up a line there that soon had us back on the trail. The views continued to be stunning and we paused every moment or so to laugh and look around and soak it all in..took some pics..some came out well but they don't do justice to the day..

The Eisenhower ascent was tracked out and on trail..easy to follow.. and made for good going..the VFTT were amazing..clouds starting to show up in the south only added to the drama of the views. A bit of breeze here maybe 10 mph..but mild and well..perfect.....Been up there 5 times this year and this was the most comfortable..january..go figure..it always seems windy there..

We dawdled on the descent..pausing to take pics and just to look around..Trail conditions were absolutely ideal and I am glad we got to enjoy them this weekend with the impending "warm" storm..The approaching storm had some interesting cloud formations to the south and played some lighting tricks with different peaks in the area..

Just a great day out with Tim Val Sabrina, and Terra...

a few pics at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverfox777/sets/72157623278089260/

Last edited:
Hey Mark . . . you scored a real "hat-trick" . . . three "terrifics" in one hike . . . terrific weather, terrific report and terrific photos!

Mark -
what a great pair of days you had. Loved the pix of the windblown snow on Adams and how much snow there was on the Crawford Path.

Yes, we have to remember the alligator eggs!

Regards,
marty

Lovely photos from a lovely day-- I especially liked the one enroute to Adams where the snow ripples and shadows looked like sand dune waves. (Hope I'm describing that well but I noticed the same thing at that area)
Great to run into you, Val and Tim on Saturday!
Geri

You hit the description right on Geri
the shadows like sand dunes..nice stretch through there..

congrats on your fine day..nice to chat along the way..

sabrina..so glad to walk with you and terra on such a glorious day..

Great trip report Mark. Your photos were breathtaking. I really like the one of Sabrina, Terra and Tim silhouetted against all that white.

Great trip report Mark. Your photos were breathtaking. I really like the one of Sabrina, Terra and Tim silhouetted against all that white.

:)That's my favorite. Getting framed and going up on the Wall o' Hikes.:D

It was GREAT to get out!!!! Some recent health issues for both myself and Terra have kept us sidelined. We couldn't have asked for a better day or better company.