Thread: Hikers Falls into Mt. St. Helens Crater

Hikers Falls into Mt. St. Helens Crater

Yikes! Poor guy, hope this has a positive outcome.
    [B][SIZE=3]Patricia Ellis Herr (TRISH...ALEX...SAGE)

Those who say it cannot be done should get out of the way of those doing it. --Chinese proverb.

For more info about The Terrifying 25, contact me at patriciaellisherr@hotmail.com or search for The Terrifying 25 on Facebook.

I've been there, it is a sharp slope edge. And cornices should be respected.

the year before we were there a snow-mobilier dropped off the edge...and survived.

got to respect the edge.
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

I'd read that he had taken off his pack and jacket. But if he was blowing his whistle for a while, how does he carry it -- around his neck? Maybe I should re-think where I carry mine.

I hope this turns out as a rescue. We were there twice in the past few years, once turning around before summiting because we didn't want to walk off the edge due to white-out conditions. The edge does drop quickly.
    Ellen

Volunteer Maintainer: East Pond Trail

"Through winter-time we call on spring/And through the spring on summer call/And when abounding hedges ring/Declare that winter's best of all/And after that there's nothing good/Because the spring-time has not come... William Butler Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by erugs View Post
    I'd read that he had taken off his pack and jacket. But if he was blowing his whistle for a while, how does he carry it -- around his neck?
    That's where I carry mine...for exactly this reason.

If it's true that he didn't have his pack/jacket when he fell, I hope his mates tossed them down to him, at least.
    "Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball."

ADK46: 25/46 W5
    NH48: 26/48 W8

I carry my whistle and compass on a lanyard on my neck.

here's another article; http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...neath-him.html

they have resumed search and rescue attempts today, but with wind and fog it looks very difficult. I hope he's okay and gets out.

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

I too wear my whistle on a lanyard...you never know, I guess.

Do I understand right that he fell 1500'?? I hope he survived, but that's a long rough fall to survive.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

Hunter S. Thompson

One news thread I saw suggested that because he took his jacket off, because he was hot from the climb, that he wouldn't have the padding that a jacket would have provided him during the fall. From my experience most winter hiking jackets are not the puffy ones we put on while resting, but not much more than a wind breaker. I'm hoping for good news.
    Last edited by erugs; 02-17-2010 at 08:01 AM.
    Ellen

Volunteer Maintainer: East Pond Trail

"Through winter-time we call on spring/And through the spring on summer call/And when abounding hedges ring/Declare that winter's best of all/And after that there's nothing good/Because the spring-time has not come... William Butler Yeats

fwiw; an officer there doubts a whistle could be heard at that distance and in those conditions, also, sadly, no movement observed by rescuers. http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...gkyVgD9DTFMQO0

If you click on the first link in this thread you'll see the sad news - he did not survive. He was from Kelso, WA.

[B][SIZE=3]Patricia Ellis Herr (TRISH...ALEX...SAGE)

Those who say it cannot be done should get out of the way of those doing it. --Chinese proverb.

For more info about The Terrifying 25, contact me at patriciaellisherr@hotmail.com or search for The Terrifying 25 on Facebook.

FYI

Cornices tend to fracture inward of the crest of the terrain.

When travelling a corniced ridge keep this in mind as you try and determine the crest of the terrain to establish a safe travel distance.

This is a good depiction.
    Enjoy your best