High peaks on Maine coastline

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgewalker

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I'm creating a list of the coastal hills of Maine. I'm counting all of the Camden and Blue Hills as well as Acadia National Park. And lastly I don't want to forget Agameticus!
Does anybody know any more mountains? Or any websites? If so please post. Thanks.
Current List:
Agameticus Mt. Champlain
Mt. Battie Mt. Cadillac
Mt. Metiguncook Mt. Pemitic
Ragged Mtn.

West Quoddy Head, just by Eastport, is hardly a mountain, but it has the distinction of getting the first sunrise in the lower 48 aound the spring and fall equinoxes. (Cadillac has that distinction in winter, Mars Hill in summer).

(Reference)

Climb it for sunrise around March 21st or September 21st and you'll be first to see the sun in the lower 48 - actually the lower 49 - that day.

Pb

Catherine Mountain in Franklin, Maine is on Hog Bay with a 1.4 mile trail to the summit. It's named after the young woman who was killed on the black woods road which winds along its slopes.

Schoodic Mountain is also in Franklin on Hog Bay, about 440 feet high.

Black Mountain is in the same area.

Of course I thought a mountain had to be 1,000 feet to be callled a "mountain" but maybe different rules apply for the coast?

Jim lombard said:
[BSchoodic Mountain is also in Franklin on Hog Bay, about 440 feet high.
[/B]

Are there 2 Schoodic mountains in Franklin? The one I climbed a few years ago is much higher than 440 feet and has a great view of the coastline and Mt. Desert Island. It's one of my favorite peaks on the Maine coastline and gets a lot less traffic than most.

Just took a quick look at my Maine Atlas and it shows the elevation as 1068'. You can see Schoodic mountains bald top very prominently on a clear day from different peaks on Mt. Desert Island, which is why I climbed it after asking the locals for info and directions.

Just took a quick look at my Maine Atlas and it shows the elevation as 1068'. You can see Schoodic mountains bald top very prominently on a clear day from different peaks on Mt. Desert Island, which is why I climbed it after asking the locals for info and directions

We always just called the range the Schoodic mountains. I don't have my Maine atlas here at work and had found that elevation online. I think the one you're talking about is the one my cousin (who lives in Franklin) climbs all the time. I had thought Catherine Mt was nearly 1000 also. Both are on my "to climb" list.

There's also a small mountain that rises off Popham beach that we always called Mount Morris, really spectacular views of the coast there.

Jim lombard said:
There's also a small mountain that rises off Popham beach that we always called Mount Morris, really spectacular views of the coast there.

I love this area as well, have cousins in Bath. If you go there don't forget to take a walk out to island off of Popham Beach at low tide. It's also a great place to view tidal pools.

Morse Mtn

Some attribute's of Morse Mtn near Popham Maine: Owned by Bates College. Site of the Rachael Carson Bird Sanctuary. On the top, look for the old sandbag bunkers of the WWII coast watchers lookouts. Believe it or not they are still there. The bunkers, not the watchers. I once lived in Five Islands, 1941 to 1951, and it was part of my boyhood playground. Oftimes the beach is long and deserted. Go in winter :)

Not a mountain, but there's a nice hill in the blueberry barrens on Pineo Ridge in Cherryfield, just south of the USGS Baseline; because of all the clearing around it, there's really good views. Also kind of neat to see all the blueberry fields. (but don't go there when it's pollination season because of the bees)

Oftimes the beach is long and deserted

Dalraida, I've been there in summer and it's been deserted too, especially mid-week. That's a beautiful spot and it's pretty rare to find long sandy beach that's not overcrowded. I think it's because you have to walk to get to the beach unlike Popham where you can drive.

arghman, the area around Cherryfield is one of my favorite places. There's nothing quite like seeing the barrons in December when the vine turns red and the cold snowy winds begin to blow over the ridges.

Cantdog,

off season is indeed a great time to go. Most of the B&Bs have reduced rates too! Do a little googling and you'll find some good deals for nice B&Bs. $50 - $75 a night is not uncommon.

The island is pretty empty after about now. Between Cadillac, Dorr, Pemetic et al, you can certainly link together a day's worth of hiking.

check it out...

spencer

There is a great book on hiking in Acadia: Hiking Acadia National Park by Dolores Kong and Dan Ring. It gives a page or two for each trail and lots of maps, etc. I've been to Acadia porbably a few dozen times (mostly to run the carriage trails) and it is a gem. Link for book.

BTW: tone of the best trails is the Precipice trail, which is always closed in the summer when I've been there because peregrine Falcons like to next there. If the falcons have flown the coop, you should try this one, assuming it's not wet.

Pb

Last edited: