Less Rocky Trails in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep the Moosilauke suggestions coming... I believe that's one of their next mountains to climb, and any advice on footing would be useful as they plan their routes.

If the footing is the main issue then I would vote for the Benton trail. From what I've read about Randy, except possibly for the steep section of the Beaver Brook trail, I don't think he would have a problem with any of the trails on Moosilauke.

If the footing is the main issue then I would vote for the Benton trail. From what I've read about Randy, except possibly for the steep section of the Beaver Brook trail, I don't think he would have a problem with any of the trails on Moosilauke.

Oh, that's good news! Thanks.

(Not related to the original poster's question, but time is also an issue for Randy. A rockier trail takes him a very long time to descend, and Quinn gets awfully tired after 14 hours or so of trail guiding. It's all about balancing factors -- a long trail with good footing, or short and steep and rocky? Sometimes the answer's not easy!)

Hey Jennifer:
A rocky trail is harder for me too, and I can't even imagine what it must be like without sight, even with a tired guide dog!

I'm impressed with this guy's accomplishments. Makes my hardships seem like nothing.
Sandy

Castle Ravine Trail? :D

I like the Mt. Parker Trail suggestion. If you're looking for soft treadways, generally speaking, look to the rarely traveled trails.

As someone who is balance challenged due to a medical issue (I've only got one functioning balance nerve instead of the usual two that most people have), rocky trails definitely provide a challenge to me.

That being said, I was just on the Moosilauke Carriage Road this weekend. It's like a tale of two trails. The upper section between the Glencliff Junction and the Snapper Trail is well used and worn. There are rocks on it in spots, but nothing too jagged or big. Most are fairly small and/or flat. There are a couple sections that are steeper and rockier. I found that my legs did take a bit of a pounding on this section, despite the terrain. I think it was more of the steepness than the rocks, though for me.

The lower section of that trail (between the Snapper and Hurricane Trails) is completely different. Nice, soft footbed, switchbacked, well graded, not too rocky or rooty. Clearly gets significantly less useage than the upper part of the trail. We took that down to the Hurricane Trail back to the lodge. It's 0.7 miles longer than taking the Snapper Trail, but we made it back to the lodge in the same amount of time that a group who passed us and took the Snapper Trail back did, so I wouldn't say that it requires a whole lot more time going back there, and it's a lot more pleasant.

One note, there are a fair number of bridges (going over what I'm sure is spring runoff areas, but which were mostly dry) on the Hurricane Trail and there was one bridge near the end where one of the two logs had broken. I just went down onto the rocks and rock hopped across the water on that one. A couple of the other bridges were starting to disintegrate on the ends and could stand to be replaced, but they were still negotiable. There's also a fair number of water stepovers (from rock to rock with Water in between) on that trail, so it's something to be aware of.

And, I'll throw in another yes for the Mount Parker and Mount Langdon Trails. Did those a few weeks ago and really enjoyed them. Soft footbed, not very rocky. The Mount Parker Trail has a fair number of blowdowns across it, but most are stepovers. A couple are tricker for those with shorter legs, but not impossible. And the views toward the Presis from Mount Parker are great!

Of course, most of the trails in the Whites are rocks, rocks, and more rocks. And just when you think you never want to see another rock again, you come to a muddy place and find yourself looking around for a rock to step on!

As has been mentioned Parker and Langdon. Has anyone mentioned Rocky branch from Jericho road northbound. My memory of the southern part is that it is not rocky at all and if memory serves there aren't many (any) rocks in the northern section either. I understand it sounds counter intuitive given its name, but I believe that Rocky Branch trail is named because it is next to Rocky Branch river. That river branch is seriously rocky, the trail isn't, as I remember.

Can anyone confirm the northern part of the trail isn't rocky also?

Keith

Last edited:
I guess I never even thought of the Rocky Branch Trail as smooth.

Kinda like the Dry River Trail is an oxymoron!

Sandy

The southern end (from Jericho) is very smooth--it follows an old railbed. The northern end (from Rte 16) looks as though it could be rocky, but I've only been on it when the rocks were covered by snow.

Doug

As I remember even the northern part isn't rocky, at least it isn't enough that I remember it as being rocky. Like you say, I know that the part I am talking about from Jericho road isn't. I don't really remember it being rocky at all. Maybe after Engine hill it might get rocky but I can't say I remember that part being that rocky either. Correct - the old rail bed is a dream to walk on.

Keith