Thread: Hiking Forums for Washington State, British Columbia, & Other Western Areas

Question Hiking Forums for Washington State, British Columbia, & Other Western Areas

Frequent reader and infrequent poster here. I have hiked the recognized 4000 footers of Maine and New Hampshire, plus many others in the area. Last weekend I made it to Carr Mountain. What a treat.

Recently I accepted a job in Snohomish County, Washington that I start within a month. I am looking forward to the job and the outdoor opportunities there. Does anyone know of a forum similar to VFTT out there? The National Weather Service, Mount Washington Observatory, National Forest Service, State Fish & Game sites, VFTT, and other pages have been valuable resources. Hoping to find something similar to VFTT.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by cyohman; 10-08-2010 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Picture link was wrong.

there is cascade climbers (I don't read it really it all, but remember it, got famous during the Hood incident).

http://cascadeclimbers.com/

Thumbs up

Thanks michaelb.

You might also check with the hiking/mountaineering organizations in those states. In Washington it's the Mountaineers and in Oregon it's the Mazamas.

Thumbs up Thanks Kevin

The Mountaineers is a name I have heard. They have a location near where I'll be living.

Try www.clubtread.com
    It's mostly BC, but has a Washington board, too.

Here's another one similar to VFTT-
    http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/index...b8719a93b103f5

There are others-just Google for Pacific Northwest hiking or similar terms
    Last edited by TomD; 10-08-2010 at 04:21 PM.

Here is a small sub-forum on a larger hunting and outdoor forums for hiking in Alaska.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Alaska-Hiking?

If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
    We lived in Snohomish County for six years. You're in for one helluva treat moving out there. If you're the joinin' kind, join the Mountaineers -- they're highly respected and have a lot to offer. If you're not, buy their books instead.

And remember the simple key to enjoying the outdoor life on the we(s)t side of the Cascades: If you won't do it in the rain, you won't be doing it much at all. Buy the very best clothing for the conditions that you can afford, and have at it!
    sardog1

"Å! kjære Bymann gakk ei stjur og stiv,
    men kom her up og kjenn eit annat Liv!
    kom hit, kom hit, og ver ei daud og lat!
    kom kjenn, hot d'er, som heiter Svevn og Mat,
    og Drykk og Tørste og det heile, som
    er Liv og Helse i ein Hovedsum."

-- Aasmund O. Vinje, "Til Fjells!"

Thumbs up *bows*

Great info from everyone including those who messaged me privately.

sardog1: Thanks for the info on the rain. I had assumed that and it will be an adjustment, but I welcome it.

There is always the Pacific Northwest forum of www.summitpost.org as well.

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/pac...est-wa-or.html

Thumbs up Thanks to everyone who made suggestions.

I finally arrived in Washington state a week and a half ago, settled in, and went on my first hike Sunday.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=56a9b364b9

I believe I'll grow to love this state.

Ah yes, Crystal Mountain. Have a fond memory of it -have never climbed it, but slept in the ski area's parking lot one July night as it was the meeting point the next day to begin a Rainier climb from the White River campground which wasn't too far away.

They get lots of snow in Washington! I hope you enjoy the state. They have some of the biggest trees on the planet.

Cool

Big trees and snow for sure. Even the maple leafs are outrageous. One of the things my brother and I noticed were the Oregon Maples.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rooney View Post
    Ah yes, Crystal Mountain. Have a fond memory of it -have never climbed it, but slept in the ski area's parking lot one July night as it was the meeting point the next day to begin a Rainier climb from the White River campground which wasn't too far away.

They get lots of snow in Washington! I hope you enjoy the state. They have some of the biggest trees on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rooney View Post

Kevin,

I climbed that a few years back. Several countable summits all with great views about 4k plus gain counting the dips between bumps, 5 miles one way awesome views. Close to the summit almost pooped a girl rode by on a mountain bike. She claimed to have ridden the trail up from the parking lot. I was impressed.

In regards to the "wet side" Summers are pretty dry they shut off the faucet about mid April and it does not come on again until Oct. 90 degrees feels like 70 and you rarely see black flies.