Tough Day on Mount Washington, 1/31/2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
January 31, 2009: Mount Washington

Trails: Jewell Trail, Gulfside Trail, Trinity Heights Connector, Crawford Path (planned), Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail

Summits: Mount Washington

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue), MadRiver (Rick), Fitz, Bryan, and me

A temperature of -8 degrees, a wind speed of 44 mph, and visibility of ~300 feet combined to make things interesting. But, I’m getting ahead of myself.

The day started with our plan being a traverse of the Southern Presidentials including Washington, Monroe, Eisenhower, Pierce, and Jackson. When we set off the temperature was 11 degrees, the wind was calm, seven mile visibility, and we had overcast sky at 3700 feet. Pretty good conditions for a hike. First, we split up. I went to check the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail and Bryan went to check the Jewell Trail. If either was broken out that would be our route to the treeline. Since neither was broken out and a west-northwest wind was forecast above the treeline, we decided to hike the Jewell Trail. This route is .6 miles further but we would have the wind on our back hiking above the treeline (the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail would have us hiking into the wind above the treeline).

The trail had a solid base with eight to twelve inches of dry, fluffy powder on top. Bryan took a shot at breaking the trail first. We made our way through amazing scenery on the hike to the treeline. The trees were loaded with fresh powder and all of us were covered in no time. Approximately half way to the treeline, Sue took the lead and held it the rest of the way to the treeline. Bryan and Sue did a terrific job of breaking out the Jewell trail and the three of us “old guys” followed behind trying to complete a little grooming to finish the job. All of the way there was no wind. Based on the forecast, we were expecting a wind of ~18 knots, but the wind was calm. When we finally reached the treeline it seemed that Mother Nature was in a mood. The wind came up and snow started to fly. Visibility dropped to a couple hundred feet when it was good, less at other times. Our first move was to add some layers.

All layered up we headed for the Gulfside Trail. Roughly half way to the Gulfside Trail we lost track of the cairns and trail. That’s not really a problem since all we needed to do was head straight up to find the Gulfside trail. The cairns on the Gulfside Trail are spaced closer together and very large. We had no trouble finding the trail. We made the right and headed for Mount Washington. The wind was coming up and the visibility had gone down with blowing snow. Slowly we made our way through the drifts and were soon at the junction of the Clay Loop Trail and Gulfside Trail. We made a brief stop for a couple pictures. A quick discussion of what was coming up for trail junctions and hike options and we were back on the hike to Washington.

We came to the Gulfside – West Side trails junction, discussed possibly heading directly for the LOC Hut or heading to the summit, and set off for the summit. We managed to wander off the Gulfside trail and reached the Cog tracks below the actual crossing location. This is common since the turn just before the Cog tracks is easy to miss. No harm, no foul, we simply followed the Cog tracks to the Gulfside crossing, made the turn, and headed for Trinity Heights Connector. With each step it seemed the wind came up a little and the visibility further degraded. We reached Trinity Heights Connector and made the turn. It’s only .2 miles from the turn to the summit. We couldn’t make out any of the summit buildings. Eventually, once we were within a couple hundred feet of the summit we could see the ghosts of buildings at the summit. We finished the climb to the summit, wandered to the summit sign post for the usual pictures, and headed to the area of shelter near the hiker log for a quick break. According to the National Weather Service we had a temperature of -8 degrees, a wind speed of 44 mph, and visibility of ~300 feet while on the summit. The wind continued to increase through the afternoon.

With the break done we set off for the Crawford Path and points south. All of us had used our goggles on the climb and all of us now had goggles that were iced up and nearly impossible to see through. Add this to the poor visibility and our exit from the summit was interesting. Bryan and I removed our goggles to see and attempt to locate the cairns marking the Crawford Path. No luck, we were unable to locate the trail off the summit. So, we simply relied on our knowledge of the area, navigation skills, and our plans. We set off descending the summit cone to find the Crawford Path after its junction with the Gulfside trail. It makes a hard turn to the south and was crossing in front of us, somewhere. It seems we must have passed between two cairns that we didn’t see and kept descending. Eventually, we decided to make a turn toward our objective (LOC Hut). We made the turn and continued to look for a cairn. Nothing. We pulled out a map to agree on where we believed to be our location and to pick a course toward the hut. At the same time, I pulled out my compass to verify the wind direction. I intended to use the wind as a navigation tool since working a compass with mittens is inconvenient. We had a solid west wind, not gusty and not swirling. As a navigation tool it worked fine. Due to the limited visibility landmarks were not available and there was no sun that we could see. A solid, consistent wind was our best choice.

We set off on a south-southwest course. The intent was to stay on the west side of the ridge. Before long we found ourselves hiking down into the upper part of a ravine. The place was familiar. Bryan also recognized it. A slug of clear air blew past and we got a glimpse of the far side and the ridge that was located there. We decided to make a direct route to the far side of the ravine and to climb the ridge. I recognized the ridge as the location of the upper part of the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail. Essentially, we short-cut the turn at the LOC Hut. Once we hit the ridge we also found the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail. The question was asked should we head to the hut and pick up where we left off or just head out. We decided to head out and finish the hike later. All of us had our fill of fresh air for the day.

The Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail was broken out since the morning and we had clear sailing back to Marshfield Station. The broken trail led straight to a spot next to our parked vehicle, the place where I had hiked in to check it out in the morning.

Tough to imagine a hike to Mount Washington as a short hike but that’s what we had – much shorter than planned. We didn’t have a short day. But, we had a good day.

Thanks to everybody for a very interesting day on Mount Washington.

Pictures will follow

:)

Tough day for pictures but I’ve posted a few interesting shots from the hike.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

Last edited:
OMG! What a day you guys had! And what a terrific report of your epic adventure!
(Chances are you’ll remember that trip for a very long time to come!!)

this is one of the few pictures i managed to take on this trip. visibility there is actually not to bad compared to what was encountered down on the crawford path.

2813320430104742326S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

another one of the clearer moments approaching the summit.

2701224600104742326S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

a very interesting day. was great to hike with earl, sue, rick, and fitz. looking forward to going back and hiking the planned route again someday.

bryan

(Chances are you’ll remember that trip for a very long time to come!!)
Thanks. These trips are the ones that need to be remembered. ;)

One of the details that I unintentionally missed deals with list chasing. The hike added Mount Washington to the W48 lists of Sue, Fitz, and Rick.

Congratulations! You all really earned this one. :)

Kudos to everyone's trailbreaking, navigation, and safety skills!!!!!

Glad you folks tagged the peak, really glad you folks are back down safely. You are a hearty crew indeed. :)

A word about the pictures -- maybe it's my connection, but not all the pictures are coming through. The text appears, but the pictures are completely dark after you folks get to treeline. Again, don't know if that's something going on with the photo set itself, or if it's just my ornery internet connection.

A word about the pictures -- maybe it's my connection, but not all the pictures are coming through. The text appears, but the pictures are completely dark after you folks get to treeline. Again, don't know if that's something going on with the photo set itself, or if it's just my ornery internet connection.
I'm not sure what's goin on. I just ran the slideshow and everything looked fine.

Just a thought.... Above the treeline you really need goggles on such a day. Did you put your goggles on? :D

I'm not sure what's goin on. I just ran the slideshow and everything looked fine.

Just a thought.... Above the treeline you really need goggles on such a day. Did you put your goggles on? :D

Used different connection, now I can see them -- wow, they really document your narrative well. Amazing day out there.

Fantastic report, as always!

Last edited:
Earl and Company,
Fantastic job. You all will probably have a hiker's high after that for at least a few days, reliving some of the highlights of this amazing trip.

Great slideshow Earl. It really captured the experience. :cool: Hope we get a chance to hike together soon.:)

Regards,
Marty

Wow, great job guys! I wish I could've been there. Congrats on pushing through and then navigating back to safety. I looked at the summit cam yesterday at about noon and thought about you guys.

Wow, I'm glad you made it out okay! Rocket21, my wife, and I had similar conditions on Franconia Ridge yesterday, although probably not quite as cold or quite as windy (TR on its way). We were thinking about you all throughout the day wondering how things were going.

Thanks Trish.

Earl and Company,
Fantastic job. You all will probably have a hiker's high after that for at least a few days, reliving some of the highlights of this amazing trip.

Thanks Marty. I'll admit that I've been thinking about details from the hike since I removed my pack. ;)

Great slideshow Earl. It really captured the experience. :cool: Hope we get a chance to hike together soon.:)
Me too. I'll send a note once I have the February target hikes sorted out. Perhaps you may see something of interest there. Remember, I'm a slow-poke, but my stamina is pretty good. :rolleyes:

Wow, great job guys! I wish I could've been there. .....
I looked at the summit cam yesterday at about noon and thought about you guys.
Thanks Jim. You missed a good one. I'll bet you weren't seeing very much from the webcams.

Wow, I'm glad you made it out okay! Rocket21, my wife, and I had similar conditions on Franconia Ridge yesterday, although probably not quite as cold or quite as windy (TR on its way). We were thinking about you all throughout the day wondering how things were going.
We'll all get together somewhere along the way. I hope you guys had a successful day on Franconia Ridge. :)

...So, I guess your shoulder is OK?!!!
Not really. I have very little overhead strength in my right arm. As long as I keep my elbow close to my side or at least low and work with forearm strength I can do okay. Putting my pack on is a painful process unless I have some help. Sue was there quite a bit for me (all of the hike last week to Owl's Head) and I really appreciate the help. Coming down the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail I did a great deal of sliding with my snowshoes - lots of fun. I was a little concerned about maintaining control and not trying to grab any trees with my right arm (the injured one). The other general concern was all of the time above the treeline. We all stayed with snowshoes. I was extra careful knowing there were times when crampons were a better choice. A fall wouldn't have been good. :eek:

The Feathered Hat & grouseking... Thanks.

I'm glad you guys made it down in one piece! Echoing what hikingmaineac said, it was rough enough at 5,200' - couldn't imagine being another thousand feet higher!

…it was rough enough at 5,200' - couldn't imagine being another thousand feet higher!
That’s an interesting comment. There is often a huge difference in 1000 feet of elevation. For this weekend it looked like we could expect as much as 10 knots of wind speed less on Monroe and Eisenhower compared to Washington based on the forecast of ~21 knots at 6288 feet.

I normally spend quite a bit of time with various weather tools in preparation for a hike. Prior to this hike I’m sure over twenty hours were spent attempting to understand not only the forecasts that were being made but the possible changes that would have an effect on the hike. I was particularly interested in a couple weather systems that were moving across the country; one covered from Tennessee to west Texas, the other was in the Pacific Northwest. It looked like everybody agreed one would pass to the south of New England and the other would pass to the north. My concern was the associated winds with these systems.

A very large area of relatively calm wind conditions was forecast to pass through New England. I remember seeing a couple “what if” concerns. It seems we managed to experience one of my concerns. Two to three days before the hike I let the others know.

1. If these weather systems moved as forecast I believed the conditions would be acceptable for the hike. We would experience winds of ~21 knots at the summit of Washington.

2. And, if the systems moved a few hours slower than forecast we would have great wind conditions – borderline bluebird day. We would experience winds of ~10 knots at the summit of Washington.

3. But, if the movement was a few hours faster than predicted we’d be hit with some wind. It looked like possibly ~30 - 40 knots at the summit.

We were treated to option 3.

When we made our way off the summit cone and down to the area north of the LOC Hut I believe the winds were less severe. We still had difficult conditions, just less severe.

A Kestrel 3000 or 4000 would have been nice to have. I would have enjoyed being able to track the conditions.

Based on the experience, I have a couple gear updates to take care of.

Two things saved up; Earl’s navigational skills and having a Sunday school teaching with us on the trip.
Thanks Rick. I believe we all learned a few things; about hiking and about ourselves. The way everybody automatically kept track of everybody else especially in the area of frostbite and exposed skin was amazing. Also, just staying in close contact was clearly on everyone's mind. Everyone was concerned with everyone. There are too many folks that become completely self-centered when things aren't going they way they would like. You know of some I'm sure. We didn't have any with us on Saturday.

Definitely, a great experience!

One concern I have in retrospect is that if I were somehow separated from the group, which was very easy to do in those conditions, would I have the navigational skills to continue down or even to turn around and head to the summit. Honestly, I do not! Yes I can read a map and compass, but it required much more than that. And this is the single most important lesson that I leaned on Saturday. Yes, we all looked after one another and spotted frostbite and made certain others were warm enough or showed signs of hypothermia. Yet the most important skill to have in that situation, I lacked. The ability to navigate in near whiteout conditions without having to rely on others is not acceptable. We should all have these skills. And I will make every effort to correct that deficiency before placing myself or others in harm’s way.

Last edited:
What an incredible story! Great shots, too, on both parts!

I was noticing what you had going for you: multiple partners, previous experience, proper gear.

How'd you handle route-finding below treeline? We were on Pierce and were reliant on those before us. I could find one out of every ten (maybe) paint blazes, and at times, if the trail hadn't been broken out, it wouldn't have been obvious. Was the Jewell Trail easy to follow?

Great job!