Tough Day on Mount Washington, 1/31/2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was noticing what you had going for you: multiple partners, previous experience, proper gear.

How'd you handle route-finding below treeline? We were on Pierce and were reliant on those before us. I could find one out of every ten (maybe) paint blazes, and at times, if the trail hadn't been broken out, it wouldn't have been obvious. Was the Jewell Trail easy to follow?

Great job!
Thanks.

I believe we were properly prepared for the day. And, I believe we did reasonably well in response to the changes we encountered along the way. One missed opportunity was at the summit. While we were in the sheltered area near the hiker log (northeast side of the Sherman Adams Building) there was enough time to restore our goggles to fresh condition. We all could have placed them inside our jackets to warm them (de-ice) and then wipe the lens dry and clear. Allowing enough time to stabilize with the outside temperature we would have been in much better shape heading off the summit cone. It may not have made a difference but five sets of eyes seeing clearly would surely have been better than what we were working with.

The Jewell Trail was relatively easy to follow. Easy for me to say, I was in the back. :rolleyes: Based on only one small side trip of approximately five yards, the trail was easy to follow for those up front – Sue and Bryan. From the pictures I think you can tell there is a fairly well defined corridor that it follows. Near the treeline the trail gets pretty tight. That combined with the significant amount of snow on the trees made for slow-going. Either the snow was removed from the branches or the point person (Sue on the top half of the trail) just plowed through. The base of snow is also limiting the corridor from the bottom up. Above the treeline was the most difficult part of the Jewell Trail. The trail is marked with small cairns spaced far apart and it makes several large turns. Plus, there was a significant number of deep drifts along the way. We lost the trail between the treeline and the Gulfside Trail. Fortunately, all we needed to do is head straight up toward the summit of Clay and we came to the Gulfside Trail, with its large cairns that are relatively close together. Even with limited visibility we were able to see multiple cairns when we reached the Gulfside Trail.

What did you guys use for footwear above treeline?

We wore snowshoes the whole way. We had thought of switching to crampons heading down to Lakes, but never changed over.

What did you guys use for footwear above treeline?
A detail that I found surprising was the amount of snow above the treeline. The top part of the Jewell Trail had a number of big drifts that we needed to plow through. We ran into more of the same on Gulfside and after leaving the summit. Some drifts encountered were nearly waist-deep.

Most of the prior week had the summit being hit with lots of wind. I expected very little snow to remain above the treeline and thought we would be on crampons from treeline to treeline. That wasn’t the case at all.

One of the details that added to the stress level was the amount of blue ice we encountered after our exit from the summit. This isn’t snowshoe territory. At least, this isn’t Atlas snowshoe territory – perhaps the MSRs handle conditions like this better. The group had three sets of MSRs and two sets of Atlas. We found ourselves taking detours around big sections of this ice to stay safe. Even in the top of the ravine as we were cutting over to the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail there were very large blue-ice sections. We were dealing with an ice problem all of the way through the exit from the summit. At one moment we were working through a waist-deep snow drift that we never saw due to low visibility and the next we were dealing with a huge ice patch.

Previous visits during winter or in winter-like conditions simply required crampons above the treeline. This day was different.