Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunday River Opening tomorrow!

wahooo!!!!!!

They got a shout out from Backcountry.com's Facebook page on Friday as the first ski resort in the country to open! Pretty cool that the East Coast beat out the big boys out West.

As addicted to skiing as I am, one trail, only top to midstation, and with the snow guns blasting in your face, doesn't quite qualify to me as "open".

I did 1-trail skiing a few times at Killington several winters ago. There was one route: the narrow white ribbon of death down Great Northern to Bunny Buster, and it was quite scary. The snow gun output is very hard to see through and sticks to your goggles, the bumps get huge and stiff quickly, and there are way too many people (many on the ground in shambles) on the trail.

Of course, all that said, if I were a Sunday River passholder with lodging nearby, I would have been there and taken a few runs.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I'm with MichaelJ, I went early on last year (passholder from LOON) and the white ribbon of death is an accurate description.

And as much as I love SR, opening only the top of the mountain (T2) at 3:30pm, at the end of the day, is kind of a lame way to claim "first resort open" in the nation.

That being said, I'm super excited and I'll probably be there in the next couple weeks Bring on the winter!

Ah, the first sighting of the White Ribbon of Death.
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose. -- Dr. Seuss

I took this picture on Rumford Whitecap today that shows the open terrain, the Presi's looked more tempting to me!
    Good marketing on S.R.'s part, they got a LOT of free news coverage.
    Last edited by Quietman; 10-25-2010 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
    As addicted to skiing as I am, one trail, only top to midstation, and with the snow guns blasting in your face, doesn't quite qualify to me as "open".

I did 1-trail skiing a few times at Killington several winters ago. There was one route: the narrow white ribbon of death down Great Northern to Bunny Buster, and it was quite scary. The snow gun output is very hard to see through and sticks to your goggles, the bumps get huge and stiff quickly, and there are way too many people (many on the ground in shambles) on the trail.

Of course, all that said, if I were a Sunday River passholder with lodging nearby, I would have been there and taken a few runs.
    Oh let's not whine.....ski season actually started last week at Stowe and Killington if you wanted to hike for it. Get stoked and get the spirit!!!
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Dartmouth, Nova Scotia - Avatar: Lion Head trail
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKdremn View Post
    They got a shout out from Backcountry.com's Facebook page on Friday as the first ski resort in the country to open! Pretty cool that the East Coast beat out the big boys out West.
    They're actually the first resort in North America (I think). Nothing appears to be open up here in Canada, yet.

I've got a seasons pass to Loon,Sunday River and Sugarloaf. I certainly won't do the 3 hour drive from Ma. for 1 run. I did the same thing at Killington a few years ago as well. I can't believe I did it twice. 500 skiers and riders on one run through snow guns. Not much fun at all.

I'm with Michael on this one! I can wait!
    What do you mean he don't eat no meat? Ok, I'll do lamb.

i love opening day at stowe, its usually pretty crazy when there is one trail and mounds of man made ungroomed snow.
    its fun to watch everyone get wrecked and i honestly can't wait!
    i definately wont drive to sunday river but most likely will drive to killington when they open.

South Metro Denver Avatar: Basin Ponds Bullwinkle
    yeah, summer ended last Tuesday here in CO, though winter's doing its best to make up for lost time. We spent the weekend in Breckenridge hiking, where the first 3-4 inches fell on Friday and they are getting DUMPED today. Loveland opened their White Ribbon of Death yesterday- SR musta beat them by like 19.5 hours. Should be great very soon!
    --would rather be hiking than typing.

Dartmouth, Nova Scotia - Avatar: Lion Head trail

Timberline

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    They're actually the first resort in North America (I think). Nothing appears to be open up here in Canada, yet.
    I, ahem, may have been mistaken.

Timberline (Oregon) apparently opened on October 1, 2010.

either way, sunday river is now closed. may re-open again by this coming weekend but doubtful since it's in the 60's and raining there.