New Forty-Sixer reporting procedure?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond

Reaction score
My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very
The last Forty-Sixer newsletter said that they were going to institute some new rules or regulations or requirements or something regarding reports from prospective Forty-Sixers. I forget exactly how it was phrased, I'm afraid, but the gist was that they were getting swamped and needed to simplify or standardize the procedure. Or style.

Anyway, they were going to issue something about it this month. Can anyone (Alpine Summit, p'rhaps? He's a correspondent.) tell us what the new style for reports is? Susan's got one to put together, and I know there are lots of others out there with the same task. She doesn't have a correspondent to ask, but she can't be the only one who never bothered to write in before finishing the climbs, so maybe the rules could be listed here. I don't see anything on the official Web site.

I was at the fall meeting (46ers) on Saturday (10/2), and nothing about a change was mentioned. Tony Solomon, the one who probably would have said something, did get up and speak for a bit about membership and other topics , but nothing about a change. Not saying there won't be one, just that nothing was said.

Also, I just finished the process in the last couple weeks, and I don't think I did anything new. It was just as it was advertised on the site. BTW, word to the wise, DO NOT wait until you finish to write in (like I did :( ), particulary with a deadline looming. I felt a little rushed reflecting on my peaks.

One thing I will share that was mentioned. STOP FLAGGING IN THE BACKCOUNTRY, please :)

Last edited:
Anyone know why they don't allow e-mailing your summit reports? I would think that this would speed things up and make for less work.

Tony had something at the Executive meeting. They want to standardize on reporting format. Something like addressing letters to your corrispondent by name (Dear joe), rather than a 'Hey there!". Sending it in on a single (?) 8x10 paper ratherr than postcard, 30 pages, on birchbark, etc., as well as writing the number of peaks you've done in the upper right hand corner (Grace had me do that 15 years ago.

It just makes the processing faster for a group ov tmie-short volunteers.

The "change", if it's called that, described by Alpine (who is my correspondent) is the exact way I was as asked to submit my stuff (and I tried to do).

So, if it is a change, it must already be in the "phasing in" part, as it's the way I just finished doing it. Now where's my damn number (;) I'm kidding).

Maybe barcode scanners could be placed at the summits (disguised as summit signs so they would be conforming structures). Prospective 46ers would be given cards which they would swipe when reaching the summit. The scanner info could be uplinked to satellites and retrieved by the volunteers' computers which would e-mail out confirimation letters automatically. After completing 46 peaks, a 46er image would be e-mailed out with a certificate after receipt of required dues which would be automatically debited from one's bank account.

In addition to Alpine's list -- which if followed would make the process much more manageable and easier for all involved -- for BONUS POINTS send TWO COPIES of your correspondence.

You will get a gold star next to your name by the office folks, for this little consideration makes their day!

AlpineSummit said:
Then if someone wrote in and said "Hey, I climbed Dial" we could retort that "Sorry pal, our records indicate that you did not! You were on the wrong summit - BOZO"

That sounds familiar. [minus the BOZO comment ;)]

For the record, I've since reclimbed Dial and even Nippletop to help someone with their 46...

AlpineSummit said:
Believe me, you are not the only one who has been fooled.
In fact, when I was writing in, MY correspondent told me a story of how he pulled an even bigger goof. Hopefully he's reading this and is willing to share a pretty funny story.

I know you didn't mean anything. As a matter of fact, I was told this was one of the most commonly missed summits because of all the false summits from Nippletop.

my goof

In fact, when I was writing in, MY correspondent told me a story of how he pulled an even bigger goof. Hopefully he's reading this and is willing to share a pretty funny story.

Yes I did... My first time up Colden was in a November snowstorm - couldn't see 10 feet. We went up the Lake Arnold side - you know that false summit? Well, we thought that was the summit! Turned back and called it a day. Right before I finished the 46 (only had Marcy left) I headed up the East Slide on Colden - when I topped out the summit did not look at all familar - only after heading back down on the Lake Arnold trail did it dawn on me that we had only topped off on the false summit. For years we thought that we had made the summit of Colden... A lot of folks miss the summit of Upper Wolfjaw too - thinking that the first summit from the Wolf Jaws col is the summit...

Alpine - I've done 25 peaks and after midsemster break (2 weeknds from now) I hope to be at 33. I reported my first two climbs when I was 8. Should I send in just a list of what I have done, or little trip reports, or what?

thanks and peace
Oysterhead

AlpineSummit said:
Short trip reports would be ideal. Better than either a list or a long and detailed account of 20'something hikes.

Short for all but one. Pick one of them ant tell WHY it was your favorite. Remember, it's a LETTER you're writing. It isn't a form you're filling out.

Last edited:
Planning on starting my 46 next year but hope you don't mind my 2 cents.

Based on my professional experience (administration consulting of sorts) if you want to standardize something to ease the admin. you can put a form on the website (pdf or other format) which can include the required fields, a little instruction and room for a letter. This way folks can be steered into giving you what you need.

Good luck, can't wait until next year to get up there.

Tuco said:
Based on my professional experience (administration consulting of sorts) if you want to standardize something to ease the admin. you can put a form on the website ....

But that isn't what the 46ers want. they do not want a reporting of peaks climbed. That's a FORM. They want letter writing. A personal corrispondence between you and your correspondent. Just as Grace had with the Marshals.

The 46ers are VERY traditional in this respect.

But that isn't what the 46ers want. they do not want a reporting of peaks climbed. That's a FORM. They want letter writing. A personal corrispondence between you and your correspondent.

Understood. What I was getting at is putting the standard piece of paper to write that letter on on the website. Reading Alpinesummits post I got the impression lack of standardized responses (in content and in paper used) was an administrative problem and streamlining was a goal.

I'll be writing my first letter soon, and promise to follow all the rules as stated earlier.;)

Alpine and Pete - thanks for your responses. OK - now for my reall dumb question - letter writing has totaly become a lost art - I honestly don't know how to write like a formal letter (i.e. no idea where the date and stuff goes). I guess thats what happens when you're whole generation has grown up with computers....anyone?

peace and thanks
Oysterhead

You start off like this:

Dear....

MrOysterhead said:
letter writing has totaly become a lost art -...... I guess thats what happens when you're whole generation has grown up with computers

Yep. Ain't that nifty? My kids started paper letter writing to Grace when they were quite young. Except for a few exceptions, those paper letters to Grace were the only letter writing they ever did.