New Forty-Sixer reporting procedure?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did my first adks peaks this year and have since decided to start the 46rs w/ the 3 I did. I wrote a trip report but it ended up 4 pages long ( it all came back so vividly). Should i write in first, just send the report , or shorten it and then send it in? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx, Mike D.

I just photocopied my trip reports out of the journal section from the back of my ADK high peaks guide. I included a letter of introduction and sent it all in. The people who received it definitely read everything, because they sent me a great letter in reply covering some of my topics. I just finished filling out the question pages they sent me, along with my climb log of who I went with and when. Anyway, they consider me a 46er now. I can't wait for the meeting to see everyone I've hiked with these past few seasons.

I learned something here today. Some of these issues (staples, two sided copies, multiple copies, etc) would have been solved if someone only had told me. I've written five years of reports and only now realize that I was more of a pain than I needed to be.

Like most, I was unaware of the process that the Office engaged in. I did not realize that correspondents did not go to a central location to work on the letters, for example, and I did not know that more than one copy would be needed.

Perhaps A 3X5 preprinted card with all the requested procedues could be sent back from the correspondent to the aspiring 46er after the first report. A small cost to save a lot of time and other costs (copying, etc.).

2 copies have never been one of them, tho it's a decent enuff idea that I passed it along to the 'boss'.

The two copies is what alot of 46ers going for their winter rounds do as a courtesy for the office crew. And that's because they hike with people from the office, and correspondants and learn how much work is now involved with processing 46er correspondence and apps. There used to be a couple of hundred 46ers a decade. Now there is a couple of thousand... and growing.

It also is a club steeped in tradition and informality, so to make it full of checklists and DMV-like forms goes against the grain a bit, even if everyone agrees it would make things more efficient.

AlpineSummit said:
Actually, I send all of my climbers the rules of the road and have since day 1. Many follow, but some studiously do not.

2 copies have never been one of them, tho it's a decent enuff idea that I passed it along to the 'boss'.

No doubt you do, Alpine, but many of the other correspondents do not. I know many of us appreciate what you and the others do, and I am sure most would be happy to try and make it a little easier, at least. There will always be some that don't, not necessarily out of malice, but because they "forget".

Hopefully, if I ever finish the last four, I will have the priviledge to serve as a correspondent, as well.

Reporting etc.

Having just finished and gotten a patch, I have mixed feelings on the whole process.

It is nice to be a part of tradition, to climb what others have climbed, and receive the same consideration.

But there is some tedium to not being able to use web/email.

I guess ultimately, those who do all the hard work can decide what the 46ers will become in the future.

I did get some special treatment. PJS (a former correspondent) gave Dawn and I our patches (unofficially) on the summit of Whiteface, something I will not forget!

Silverback said:
Perhaps A 3X5 preprinted card with all the requested procedues could be sent back from the correspondent to the aspiring 46er after the first report. A small cost to save a lot of time and other costs (copying, etc.).

Tony Solomon has prepared an insert that some of you will be getting that covers all of the necessary data. Mostly it's geared towards "please don't xerox a thirty-page journal" and things like that.

E-mail will never work because of archive issues. For one thing, e-mailers would be asking the 46ers to print out their reports at great time, cost, and inconvenience. Then there are computer issues, both software and hardware.

My experience is that 70% of my correspondents fail to follow the club's very loose requirements when writing. The biggest problem is not addressing reports correctly.

The 30% who do send in great reports more than make up for them.

Boy reading this about reporting your climbs tells me I have been out of touch. It used to be simple climb a mountain, write to Grace. I remember sitting in Grace's storage room going through all of those questionaires ferreting out info for the 46r book. Whenever there was a question Grace could always provide the right answer without looking it up. I recall at one of the fall meetings Grace was giving her standard lecture about timely reporting. My climbing partner swayed nervously in the back of the room averting his gaze. You see his only letter was Dear Grace today I climbed my 20th high peak. At the time of this meeting he had reached number 45. Grace pointed to him and clearly enunciating his name she said "I see you ---------. He finished by climbing the Colden Dike. He wrote his letter on the summit and we handed it to Grace at her camp at the boulders on our way home. Grace said "it's about time." We miss her.