Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: 5 days? Yeah right!

Quote Originally Posted by dr_wu002 View Post
    I don't think it's such a big secret that this person is J.R. Stockwell. You've mentioned him on the site before and a lot of people have met him either hiking or in the Mountain Wanderer... very cool guy.

-Dr. Wu
    He seems like a very nice guy -- have met him on the trails a couple of times, always introduces himself and asks everyone's name.

On the Waterman climbs, a good book that details alot of his solo winter trips (well, unless you count the stuffed animals ) along with Guy's life and character in general, is:

Good Morning Midnight: Life and Death in the Wild by Chip Brown
    (sold at The Mountain Wanderer!)
    ADK 46'r NE115'r NEHH NH 48 x 6 NH48W NH 331/576
    Terra NH 48 x 6+ ~93/100 NEHH ~ ADK 35/46 ~RIP~
    Pemi NH4K~ Gem NH4K

Quote Originally Posted by RollingRock View Post
    It seems to me that this thread is drifting from it's original message...just an observation...
    I fear that I may have started this (and you're right). Sorry. Didn't mean to detract from Farmer's accomplishment last week.

Quote Originally Posted by una_dogger View Post
    On the Waterman climbs, a good book that details alot of his solo winter trips (well, unless you count the stuffed animals ) along with Guy's life and character in general, is:

Good Morning Midnight: Life and Death in the Wild by Chip Brown
    (sold at The Mountain Wanderer!)
    I thought I had read every book by and about the Watermans. I got hooked after reading "Losing the Garden" and had to go back to all the books that he and Laura wrote. Thanks for pointing this one out Sabrina. It's going to be the next on my list. (and my last sidetrack contribution to this thread)
    Mark

Going to the mountains is going home.
    - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/

Ill say up front, these "speed" type of hikes do nothing for me and as far as the rules and ways they are done, I find it all rather amusing and attention getting by nature. MY main point is guy's like waterman, who I met many times on the trails, hiked and accomplished incredible feats in the mountains because they loved the mountains, they could give two shits who knew about it. This guy the thread is about can hike for sure, what it boils down to is how he feels about his attempt, if he is at peace with it and can lay his head down at night and sleep well, good for him, thats all that matters in the end. This board is always full of people who complain about everything, if the complainers spent more energy climbing and less bitching they might even log enough time out there to have a valued opinion after all.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    , I find it all rather amusing and attention getting by nature.
    well farmer is kind of an attention whore....

The original post was about trying to accomplish a goal. Agree with it, disagree with it, doesn't matter.
    Personalizing posts ( not directed at your post, Mookie) will disappear.
    "The fact that going off the deep end appears
    to be a requisite to doing anything of consequence
    in this life has not escaped me." Jim Harrison

Interesting posts by all - I enjoy reading all of the different perspectives. Also getlittle history lessons along the way. What I must have missed though is how he did. Did he get them all in the time frame (doesn't sound like it)? If he didn't how did he finish up?
    Reaching the summit is optional, getting down is mandatory. (Ed Viesturs)

NH 4K Grid #69
    Three-Season: ADK 46 #10140, NH 48, New England 67, and Northeast 115
    Winter: ADK 46 #10140W, NH 48, New England 67, New England Hundred Highest #120, and Northeast 115 #92
    Others: CO 14ers 28/58, Catskills 7/35, and Northeast 8 Ultra 5/8
    Trail Adopter: Caps Ridge Trail from Trailhead to Summit of Jefferson
    Organizer: Random Group of Hikers (www.meetup.com/rndmhkrs)

Quote Originally Posted by mookie View Post
    well farmer is kind of an attention whore....
    Just to clarify, I didnt mean it as an insult. Some people are out there in the public eye and thier feats are well published, others hike fanatically and thier feats go unnoticed, niether right or wrong just different.

Just to clarify, I didnt mean it as an insult. Some people are out there in the public eye and thier feats are well published, others hike fanatically and thier feats go unnoticed, niether right or wrong just different.
    im confused though,
    how many books are there about the watermans? that seems pretty public to me....

Quote Originally Posted by mookie View Post
    im confused though,
    how many books are there about the watermans? that seems pretty public to me....
    forget it, you either understand the point or you dont, if your new to hiking(less then 10yrs) and love the internet you wont get it no matter what i say.

forget it, you either understand the point or you dont, if your new to hiking(less then 10yrs) and love the internet you wont get it no matter what i say.
    honestly,
    i dont think it has anything to do with how long someone has been hiking for nor do i understand what the internet has to do with any of this.

however ryan wishes to promote his adventures is his own choice.
    just gets kind of old when Guy Waterman's name gets thrown around all the time. I am just going to come out and say it, not everyone thinks of him as the "God" of the white mountains.

but yeah, lets forget it

Quote Originally Posted by akafuzzjones View Post
    What I must have missed though is how he did. Did he get them all in the time frame (doesn't sound like it)? If he didn't how did he finish up?
    Just got internet back and will write up a recap of the way things went soon. Plus a full description of the massive 3-5 person support crew and trail breaking army I had on the payroll.

Thanks again for all the virtual support and kind words.
    "Your body will argue that there is no justifiable reason to continue.
    Your only recourse is to call on your spirit, which fortunately functions independently of logic."
    - Tim Noakes

Ill say up front, these "speed" type of hikes do nothing for me and as far as the rules and ways they are done, I find it all rather amusing and attention getting by nature. MY main point is guy's like waterman, who I met many times on the trails, hiked and accomplished incredible feats in the mountains because they loved the mountains, they could give two shits who knew about it. This guy the thread is about can hike for sure, what it boils down to is how he feels about his attempt, if he is at peace with it and can lay his head down at night and sleep well, good for him, thats all that matters in the end. This board is always full of people who complain about everything, if the complainers spent more energy climbing and less bitching they might even log enough time out there to have a valued opinion after all.
    Not to single you out Sierra but this is a good example of why I've chosen not to write anything further on this thread.

Let's just say I did some hiking... If the weather hadn't warmed up and the snow turn to mash potatos I would have beaten MY OWN record. 28 peaks in 3.5 days with a possible winter FKT prezzie traverse on day two as the first half of a 40+ mile day is a good workout and most likely didn't hurt my fitness.

Thanks for ALL the posts kind or not.

F. Brizzown
    "Your body will argue that there is no justifiable reason to continue.
    Your only recourse is to call on your spirit, which fortunately functions independently of logic."
    - Tim Noakes

Hi Farmer,

I'm new to VFTT which is why I never responded to your posting earlier, but I did follow your progress even when I wasn't a member. What an awesome push you had. It's really too bad about the crappy weather hitting during an unlikely time of year. Without that, you would have definitely achieved your goal, without doubt. Do you foresee giving it another go? Thanks for letting us all in on your trek! Can't wait to follow your next one!

Karl
    Thanks,
    Karl

http://LiveFreeAndHikeNH.blogspot.com - My Blog Live Free and Hike NH
    http://Facebook.com/LiveFreeAndHike - LFAHNH FB Page
    http://Twitter.com/LiveFreeAndHike - LFAHNH Twitter Page
    https://www.instagram.com/livefreeandhike/ - LFAHNH Instagram Page