Imp Tail cut-off to 19 Mile trailhead

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Berard

Reaction score
N. Thetford, VT Avatar: Cabot, winter 2011
I'm looking at a map of the Carters, and pondering the route I'll use to make it back to 19 Mile from Imp Trail. It looks like there are two likely routes. I think the common route leaves Imp at about 1600 feet, and turns towards 19 mile, skirting the back of Camp Dodge. The second route that I see as possible would be to leave Imp at about 1900 feet, crossing the saddle of a minor bump, and follows a drainage to a teeny pond, just before reaching 19 mile at about 1700 feet.

Am I correct in assuming that choice #1 is the usual route?

Anybody ever try the 2nd route?

As peakbagger mentioned, the 1st one is very obvious. There is a point where the trail crosses an old logging road. If you turn left on this logging road it takes you a short distance right to a field behind Camp Dodge. Just follow the driveway out to the road and it is a relatively short walk out.

Brian

I have done the 2nd route a couple times, it works.

For the 1st route you don't normally skirt Camp Dodge, you just follow the woods road to Camp Dodge and walk out the driveway. I've never heard of anybody being kidnapped and forced to do trail work :)