Trail Adopters Needed

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giff

Reaction score
I am putting out my annual appeal for new White Mountain trail adopters. The Pemi Ranger District has been successful in more than doubling the number of adopters over the last several years. However, we still have almost 90 miles of Orphaned trails. Trail adopting need not be a huge commitment of time, especially of you can get friends and family to help you. It basically involves cleaning drainages and clearing blow downs on an annual basis, and brushing portions of the trail each year in order to keep the trail open. Training and tools are available. Below is a list of trails needing adopting.

Trail Name Length
3 Ponds 6.6
Benton 3.2
Black Pond 0.8
Boundary Line 0.7
Cherry Mountain Jeep 3.5
Coppermine 2.5
Donkey Hill Cut Off 1.0
Eastside 5.1
Franconia Br 7.2
Greeley Ponds Upper) 2.3
Gordon Pond 4.8
Guinea Pond 2.2
Hale Brook 2.9
Jewell spur 0.4
Lincoln Br 6.7
Lincoln Woods 3.0
Livermore Rd 4.0
Lower falls 0.8
Mt. Kineo 4.8
Mt. Osceola 5.7
Mt. Tecumseh(Ski area side)2.2
Old Skidder Tr 1.8
Trestle Tr 1.0
Tunnel brook 4.1
Westside 0.9
Wilderness 5.7

If you have an interest, please contact me at

[email protected]

Giff

... and clearing blow downs ,,,
Do adopters get backup for blowdowns that require more than a small hand saw?

86666.jpg

As an adopter in this district, we notify the Forest Service of any large blowdowns that we encounter [chainsaw needed] after trail maintenance. They have always responded and taken care of them. :)

Do I have to go to a class or do I just sign up and do it?

I'm thinking that clearing blowdowns on Westside may be easier than ME thinks.

I currently maintain the Webster Cliff trail, yet I might be interested in adding Tecumseh as well, since I live 6 miles away. I will get back to you.

This training over this past weekend was great - thanks for coordinating Giff!

Giff - could you update the list of trails that are still looking for adopters? I might know one person that could take one and attend the next training on 6/4 if there is still room.

Plus...maybe it would be highly benefical if you just kept an ongoing list on here of trails that still need adopters? I'm willing to guess most would eventually get snagged by VFTT members and lurkers.

Would be hard to maintain an active list on VFTT. AMC maintains a list of its orphaned trails on their website but I know that list quickly gets out of date. Probably best to have your friend contact Giff or the other district managers directly.

See also my post on the Saco District trails available:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40467

AMC trail list:

http://www.outdoors.org/conservation/trails/volunteer/adopt/adopt-orphan-trails.cfm

On a side note, there was a nice post of a recent USFS trail training (maybe the one you were on) on Philip Werner's blog, Section hiker.

http://sectionhiker.com/becoming-a-trail-adopter/

This training over this past weekend was great - thanks for coordinating Giff!

Giff - could you update the list of trails that are still looking for adopters? I might know one person that could take one and attend the next training on 6/4 if there is still room.

Plus...maybe it would be highly benefical if you just kept an ongoing list on here of trails that still need adopters? I'm willing to guess most would eventually get snagged by VFTT members and lurkers.

There are two more of the "Skills Day" trainings scheduled: June 4 at Saco RD & June 11 at Androscoggin RD.

Trails still needing adopting

Per request here is the small list of trail on the Pemi Still needing adopting

3 Ponds 4.6
Around the Lake 0.8
Carrigain Notch 3.4
Donkey Hill Cut Off 1.0
Eastside 5.1
Guinea Pond 2.2
Hancock Notch 2.4
Lincoln Woods 3.0
Lincoln Woods Int 0.3
Livermore Rd 4.0