You know you are NOT a peakbagger when...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...when you realize that the folks who judge the quality and/or success of their trip on whether or not they "touched the sign" have got some serious problems.

...when just being out in the woods does it for you.

...when things like companionship, perseverance, solitude and natural beauty mean more to you than checking a box on a spreadsheet.

...when the peaks are an inconsequential part of your "list"

...when you realize that the folks who judge the quality and/or success of their trip on whether or not they "touched the sign" have got some serious problems.

Happy to say I've never met a peakbagger who feels this way. They may exist, but they aren't the type of people I would hike with ;-)

Last edited:
When your last 3 hikes in the Whites this year topped out at 4,800, 4,600, and 5,200 on beautiful days and you didn't hit any peaks. The views were still really nice!

Last edited:

I can see their point, especially to avoid an argument or a doubt later. I'm rarely compelled to touch the sign or scramble to the top of the exact highest point; the summit area is generally fine and counts for me. However, if I was going for a record or a grid or something, I'd be more compelled.

I can see their point, especially to avoid an argument or a doubt later. I'm rarely compelled to touch the sign or scramble to the top of the exact highest point; the summit area is generally fine and counts for me. However, if I was going for a record or a grid or something, I'd be more compelled.

I see what you mean about making sure a peak "counts" but I interpreted the OP to be suggesting that there are those who think a hike is not successful or lowered in it's quality if a peak isn't bagged.

I see what you mean about making sure a peak "counts" but I interpreted the OP to be suggesting that there are those who think a hike is not successful or lowered in it's quality if a peak isn't bagged.

You mean like those who claim Kilimanjaro when they have only been as high up as Gillman's Point?

If my intention is to bag Cannon, and I turn around at the rim trail, I failed to bag Cannon (by my own definition.) Therefore, I was not successful. It doesn't mean my hike was worthless or anything. It just means I have to go back if I (still) want to bag the peak.

If instead my intention is to go for a walk in the woods (and why would anyone do only that? :rolleyes:) then bagging or not bagging a peak doesn't figure into things.

"Hi, my name is Tim, and I'm a peakbagger".

Tim

If my intention is to bag Cannon, and I turn around at the rim trail, I failed to bag Cannon (by my own definition.) Therefore, I was not successful. It doesn't mean my hike was worthless or anything. It just means I have to go back if I (still) want to bag the peak.

If instead my intention is to go for a walk in the woods (and why would anyone do only that? :rolleyes:) then bagging or not bagging a peak doesn't figure into things.

"Hi, my name is Tim, and I'm a peakbagger".

Tim
Yeah, what he said. :D Except my name is Tom, not Tim! :D

Either way, don't judge the peakbagger, and hopefully, they will not judge you.

This is the "You know you are NOT a peak bagger when…" thread, so it's perfectly reasonable to say you're not one when you're totally happy to not touch the very tip-top summit, because as folks have stated, most peak baggers consider it part of peak bagging to touch the very tip-top summit.

There are days I'm not a peak bagger. Those are days when I, for example, grab a book, a skin of wine (okay, a platypus bag), a foam pad, hummus, grapes, crackers & cheese, and walk to Thoreau Falls, set up on the rocks with my toes in the water, and achieve quite the inner peace. :D

Yeah, what he said. :D Except my name is Tom, not Tim! :D

Either way, don't judge the peakbagger, and hopefully, they will not judge you.

Exactly

I guess I'm an eternal optimistic -- if I am turned off a peak, I don't consider my hike unsuccessful - I just redefine my expectations such that I still feel gratitude for having a day in the mountains :/)

-when you thought "The Grid" was a horror movie back in the 80's starring Anthony Hopkins, and "The List" was a reality show on Monday nights about compulsive shopping......

-when you wake at 5am on a cold January Saturday Morning, and call your hiking friends to tell them you are not going because you developed a blister on your heel from the flannel sheets......

-when you think a trip to the mountains, involves outlet shopping in North Conway, a pedicure, and a brazilian wax........

-when at Madison Hut, you volunteer to watch everyones packs while they summit, convincing everyone that "The Moose" might run off with them......

-when if there ain't no view, there ain't no hike......

-when you refuse to go on a hike because you need a new backpack......

-when on the climb, you fake an injury, and tell everyone you'll wait for them at the car (and take a nap and drink all the beer).......

-when you lie down in the middle of the trail, throw a tantrum, and refuse to go any further unless someone rubs your feet.......

:D
Petch

This, and a few other posts, describe perfectly the assumption that hikers are either peakbaggers or weak excuses for hikers, not dedicated and strong enough to handle the awesome feat of hiking all 48 mountains with a single lifetime. That's what I mean by entertaining. :D

I've hiked thousands of miles through the White Mountains but I am not as awesome as someone attempting to hike 48 mountains, all because I don't follow a list. There are peakbaggers who will never come close to hiking as much as I have.

never will get it

This, and a few other posts, describe perfectly the assumption that hikers are either peakbaggers or weak excuses for hikers, not dedicated and strong enough to handle the awesome feat of hiking all 48 mountains with a single lifetime. That's what I mean by entertaining. :D

I've hiked thousands of miles through the White Mountains but I am not as awesome as someone attempting to hike 48 mountains, all because I don't follow a list. There are peakbaggers who will never come close to hiking as much as I have.

never will get it

I wasn't trying to bucket hikers into one category or another. Simply having a little fun with the thread. Didn't mean to offend anyone.......

Petch

I've mentioned this before:

I used to work with a person named Jim. I knew that he hiked, so we talked about what I'd hiked and he'd mention a few of his hikes. He was a great listener, and never mentioned lists or bragged of any accomplishments. He treated me like an equal even though I only hiked the big hills every other month or so.

Only after I stopped working with him did I find out that he was the Jim Towle that completed the grid. I never would have guessed this from our discussions.

If I ever become a peakbagger, I want to be like Jim!

Last edited:
-- if I am turned off a peak, I don't consider my hike unsuccessful - I just redefine my expectations such that I still feel gratitude for having a day in the mountains :/)

Exactly. If I don't peak (that does happen cuz I'm an old fat guy) it's still a good day of hiking. I still got my lunch to keep me happy and that cold beer in the car tastes just as good.

Not much beats taking my chair out of the van at the end of a hike, sitting down with my sweaty boots & socks off, chilling my toes and that first slug of cold beer, especially after a long hot day.

Right to the brain if you know what I mean. :cool::)

I've mentioned this before:

I used to work with a person named Jim. I knew that he hiked, so we talked about what I'd hiked and he'd mention a few of his hikes. He was a great listener, and never mentioned lists or bragged of any accomplishments. He treated me like an equal even though I only hiked the big hills every other month or so.

Only after I stopped working with him did I find out that he was the Jim Towle that completed the grid. I never would have guessed this from our discussions.

+1 to this. I aspire to be like that, but fail miserably :)

...Only after I stopped working with him did I find out that he was the Jim Towle that completed the grid. I never would have guessed this from our discussions.

Couldn't agree more. Am proud to consider him a friend. He's also a great person to have along on challenging hikes, because of his positive, upbeat attitude. He was along on the hike which "discovered" the Brutus Bushwhack. It was a particularly nasty day weather-wise, but it didn't affect his attitude.

Couldn't agree more. Am proud to consider him a friend. He's also a great person to have along on challenging hikes, because of his positive, upbeat attitude. He was along on the hike which "discovered" the Brutus Bushwhack. It was a particularly nasty day weather-wise, but it didn't affect his attitude.

A Peak Bagger, not a Peak Bragger.