Jennings Peak and Sandwich Dome via Sandwich MT Trail and Algonquin Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
We got a bit of a late start at 12:30 after finally deciding on a destination and the car spot. As Pa so clearly pointed out, walking through that first line of trees after walking through the field and by the transfer station at the beginning is like walking into another world! The trail climbing up to Noon Peak was clear of snow and ice and mud, and rewarded with some stellar views in a few spots.

We made the quick side trip up to Jennings Peak to again be rewarded with some nice views and a brisk wind. The trails continued to be in great condition and easy to follow.

Some of us dropped our packs at the Algonquin Trail junction and made the final short stretch up to Sandwich Dome. It seems to be growing in a bit from what I remember from years past, or could it be that I normally go there when there is snow? Enjoyed a nice break out of the wind and Jen was kind enough to share her sandwich with Geneva. What dog doesn’t love a good tuna sandwich?! :rolleyes:

Fairly quickly after hitting the Algonquin Trail we started to encounter small patches of ice, and a beautiful red glow from the setting sun through the trees. Time to get out the headlamps! When night falls this time of year it falls with a thud! :cool:

This was my first time on the Algonquin Trail but it will not be the last! Route finding at night can be a challenge, especially on an unfamiliar trail, and especially on one such as this, that does not get over used. Jen did a superb job keeping us headed in the right direction!

There were many views out to the ‘city’ lights of WV. Will certainly head back to this trail to check them out in daylight. Lots of open areas and slabs to cross, too bad there were no stars out. The best line of the hike came where Jen was looking for the trail which seemed to just dead end. ‘The trail doesn’t go here, this is just a cliff’. Arm looked around, ‘Um, yeah, that cliff is the trail’.

Fun times negotiating some steep sections with headlamps and Geneva. (I have to say, she did a really great job, and probably would have done it completely unassisted, but I was nervous for her and helped her in 2 tricky spots.)

The trail eventually changed from a lot of open rock to a thick covering of leaves, where you were not entirely sure of your footing. I slowed down quite a bit in this section, taking extra care not to twist an ankle. I kept seeing two glowing green orbs ahead of me and followed them down the trail. I was quite happy they ended up belonging to Geneva and not some other creature of the night!

Fun day and evening out in the woods! ;)

Last edited:
Great, but did you go to the Creamery?? :p

If I ever hiked the Algonquin trail to Sandwich Dome, I'd think I'd be in the ADKs... :)

Jay

No, he means the Sandwich Creamery! :) YUMMY!

But nope, didn't make it down there yesterday.
The ride on Sandwich Notch Road was enough for poor Geneva after the hike.

And she doesn't get to partake in the ice cream, so there is no benefit as far as she is concerned for going to the creamery.

Although it does sound pretty good to me right now...

:rolleyes:

Sounds like a fun time!! Yes! It does get dark early!! Some friends and I hiked Sandwich on Saturday, and once we reached the summit at 2pm, we realized..........uh oh, it will be dark in 2.5 hours!! Made me think, "hmmm, wonder how those batteries are working in that headlamp" :)
If you like the climbing, we went up Black Mtn. Pond trail to Algonquin and it was a great time!

Reactions: arm
I looked up the route description for Algonquin in my on-line guide. Below is the description from the Algonquin trailhead up to the junction with black Mtn Pond. The first scramble mentioned is obviously the "cliff". Then it mentions two other rock "pitches" that now have by-passes. I'm thinking we actually might have done what would have been the first one if going up and missed the by-pass in the dark. For us that would have been the semi-interesting rock section just before the "not cliff/Trail" That's why I didn't remember the trail being quite like that from years before. In any case it could be fun to go back and try to find the old route vs the new route and maybe do a loop including the Black Mtn Trail which has what sounds like some good scrambles also. We can stop at the creamery too!!!! :p

@Michelle the Beartooth Higway rocks!!! We drove over it last July (2010) just before dark and spent the night in Red Lodge. Had it almost to ourselves. Awesome.....

From Algonquin TH to the Juntion w/ Black Mtn Pond Trail:
"The trail follows an old logging road across a brook and past a
small meadow, and in a small clearing, turns left off the road
(watch carefully for yellow blazes). Soon it begins to climb steeply,
then moderates and passes through a ledgy area with two small
brooks, then climbs steeply again to a small pass. Here it turns
right, descends slightly, then attacks the west end of the ridge,
climbing steeply with one fairly difficult rock scramble. Two other
rock pitches, formerly part of the main trail, are now bypassed by
paths to the right; at the second, good views are missed unless
one walks back to the ledges on the former route of the trail."

From Black Mtn Pond to the Junction w/Algonquin 1.1mi
"The trail winds around in the spruce woods near the pond, then
turns right to bypass a beaver pond. It then begins the steep
climb, with many twists and turns and several challenging
scrambles; care is required to follow the trail here. About halfway
up, it reaches the first of several outlook ledges with good views
south; views to the west increase as the trail works around toward
the west end of the shoulder. Then it passes a boulder cave, turns
sharp right, and continues to meet the Algonquin Trail on the ridge
crest."

fun hike ... hope to head back and catch views where the trail attacks (?) the ridge ... collecting stars ...

down-climbing the slabby cliff in the dark was almost as tough as reading a tom field willey trip report :rolleyes: