Madison, Adams, JQA, and Star-the-Madison-Moose

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Early this week, it appeared that either Wednesday or Thursday would be a Presi Day. Today was it. 1/26/2012 - Madison / Adams/ JQA via Valley Way, Gulfside and Airline. Carried snowshoes, wore microspikes to the hut and crampons for the rest of the day (until below the Durand Ridge trail junction.) This was a Hiker Ed trip, including Ron, Craig, Ed, Wolfgang, and myself. We took our time, joked, listened to Ed's stories, and had an overall very enjoyable day above treeline.

IMG_9062.JPG
IMG_9064.JPG

The Howks on Howker Ridge, World-famous hiker emerges from the trees

I have to say that while I am looking forward to the stability of a new job, I will not enjoy the view of four cubicle walls. I have several more days of freedom, however, and I mean to use them!

IMG_9072.JPG
IMG_9080.JPG

The Mahoosucs and into Maine, Adams dwarfing Star Lake

Madison was my first winter Presi, back in 2008, and I still love how it book-ends the range, allowing for 270 degree views without anything immediately below it. Today we could see as far as Saddleback in Maine (MWO OBS said 100 miles this morning.) As usual, the wind was northwest, but very light, and sitting just over the top on the Pinkham side was extremely comfortable at about 26 degrees.

IMG_9081.JPG
IMG_9089.JPG

Great Gulf nestled below Washington, World-famous hiker enjoying the views

Over to Adams via Gulfside, we ascending via the snowfields to cut down on the rocks. The breeze here was a bit stronger, but still not a wind, at 15-20. Again, dropping below the summit to gaze into the Great Gulf was very comfortable and we had our extended lunch break.

On the return to Madison Hut, eagle-eyed Wolfgang spotted something brown on a white patch of snow nestled in the spruce above the hut. We'd walked withing 100' of this spot on our ascent of Madison, and after a few minutes of poking around, I got to meet her.

IMG_9099.JPG

Star, the Madison Hut Moose

All photos

Tim

As I was working today I stepped outside looked at the sky and said to myself this is a presi day. I am glad you got to enjoy it Tim, damn the man keep on hiking, don't be a slave to the cube!:D And a Star sighting as well, I'm happy the little lady is doing well up there.

yeah, thanks for the moose update!!!!! She has been lucky this winter!!! I thought someone saw a moose a month or so on the Osgood and I thought it was her... it must have been a different moose!!!!

Tim, you got yourself a great day! Thanks for sharing your photos and commentary. I'm reading this on a dismal slushy Friday!

Great report! It was indeed a rare day to be up above treeline. Thanks for showing me the moose photo when Kirby and I passed your group on the way down the big Valley Way ice slide. I should have asked about alligator eggs! :D

Nice report Tim! A great day above treeline beats just about anything else.

Petch