Wanted - Photos of fire lookouts, etc.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtfiretower

Reaction score
I am interested in fire lookouts all over the world. I am interested in historical info, photos, and locations of sites around the world. I am with the Forest Fire Lookout Assoc., but no longer the VT. Director. Any info received would be appreciated.

Here are two good books on fire towers in New York State.

Fire Towers of the Catskills: Their History and Lore, by Martin Podskoch
Adirondack Fire Towers: Their History and Lore, the Southern Districts, by Martin Podskoch

Podskoch is also working on another fire tower book that will cover the Northern Districts in the Adirondacks

The books include hand drawn maps, history of each tower, some photos, and interviews with the firewatchers and their families.

My grandfather used to man the firetower on Kempshall Mtn in Long Lake back in the 40's. I have a few pictures of the tower with my grandparents and my father and uncle as young kids. The pictures are pretty old, I can scan them and e-mail you a copy if you would like. PM me if your interested.

Here's a couple of pics from Green Mountain (W. Effingham NH), Red Hill (Squam Lake NH), North Kearsarge interior (N. Conway NH), and St. Regis Mountain (ADKs). Green and Red are still staffed three seasons a year, N. Kearsarge isn't but the cab is open for camping, and St. Regis, you probably noticed, has something missing. What do you want to do with these?

Here's a few pictures of the firetower on Mt. Kearsarge South. One is of the tower itself, with the cell tower intruding into the picture, and the second one is of some October rime ice on the stairs of the tower. Sorry about the quality, I was just kind of fooling around with the camera.

I'm not sure how old the tower is, but I can tell you that its staffed 3 seasons per year, and a few years ago the cabin on it was replaced. I watched a helicopter ferry up the building supplies for the rebuilding.

Last edited:
Here are some of my fire tower photos that I have posted on the AT photo gallery at White Blaze.net .

The first one here is of Mt. Everett in the distance. Everett is a peak on the AT just a few miles north of the MA/CT border. This tower has since been removed. It was taken back on May 5, 1991. This is the fire tower Craggin Cragin mentioned.

Here is a close-up of this fire tower on that same day. Note the boarded up cabin, firetower is fenced in to make it difficult to access and lower half of the steps are already removed.

Other photos I have in my collection that might interest you is Doubletop in Baxter State Park with the fire tower lying on its side just below the cliffs edge. The barren remnants of the Barren Mt. fire tower in the Hundred Mile Wilderness. Other abandoned fire towers in late stages of disrepair include Mt. Blue in Weld and Old Speck in the Mahoosucs. Fire towers that are long gone that I have photos of include Saddleback in Maine & Osceola in the Waterville Valley area of the Whites. Fire towers currently in use and in good shape include Green Mt. in Effingham & Cardigan. Just send me your e-mail address and I can forward some of these other gems. I also have some photos of fire warden cabins that might interest you which include: Alander Mt.-Taconics, NY, Saddleback, ME on the AT, Hunter, NY in the Catskills, Cabot Mt. in the Pilot Range in northern Whites among others. Send me your e-mail address at [email protected] if interested in receiving other gems from my photo collection.