Explorer's Guide 50 Hikes North of the White Mountains

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh NO! Another possible list to go along with either enjoyable deja vu or vicarious pleasure beforehand. Thanks for the tip.

Yes!! Thanks for the heads-up on this. This has been on my Amazon wishlist for about a month. Glad to see it finally came out, and on time too! I'll download the Kindle version tonight.

Pre-ordered the Kindle edition (comes out July 18th).

Thanks for the heads-up, this will be wonderful to read and I can't wait to try out the hikes, I love the Great North Woods.

(though I do admit I hope it doesn't make the area too popular)

The guide will be interesting. Kim has a lot of good ideas and area knowledge. His reputation of "lay out the route and worrry about the details later" has reportedly caused him to run afoul of established trail maintenance organizations and property owners in the past. Hopefully the hikes recomended in the book were vetted prior to publication. There are numerous abandoned or undermaintained routes in the north country so I expect he had plenty to pick from.

The guide will be interesting. Kim has a lot of good ideas and area knowledge. His reputation of "lay out the route and worrry about the details later" has reportedly caused him to run afoul of established trail maintenance organizations and property owners in the past. Hopefully the hikes recomended in the book were vetted prior to publication. There are numerous abandoned or undermaintained routes in the north country so I expect he had plenty to pick from.

I will have to ask him about these "afoulnesses." I bet they are a good laugh.
I do know that he hiked all of the trails just before publishing the book in order to validate the validity.
Concern should be the least of your concerns. Go and enjoy my brotha.

Steve Smith also has these available online, and in his store in Lincoln. We were in there last Saturday and one of the guys picked one up. Quick breeze through, looks great.

The Mountain Wanderer

Many years ago I guy I know published a hiking guide to the western Whites to sort-of complement the AMC Presidentials guide. I asked why he wrote a book to compete with the White Mtn Guide and several 50 Hikes books when there was nothing for the North Country. He said he'd rather sell a book to 1% of the people that hiked Franconia Ridge than 100% on Magalloway.