Packs for Bad Backs??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forester Jake

Reaction score
Does anyone out there have a good backpack recommendation for those who suffer from a bad back??

Three weeks ago was a turning point for me when my 38 years of playing and working too hard resulted in two herniated discs in my lower back- my legs were temporarily disabled and the searing pain from my waist to my toes was absolute misery!!! I'm glad to say that the stabbing pain is gone and I'm mostly mobile again, however I must be ultra careful to not cause further damage which will likely result in surgery or worse... my doctor's recommendation is that I'll need to replace :( my trusty, reliable old dear companion of many years, miles, peaks, & memories (my monstrous 7plus lb.- yikes!!- North Face Pivotal 75 pack) with a sexy new lightweight model (no, not a mid life crisis :) )...

I tend to be the cautious, "just in case" kind of hiker/bushwhacker, but obviously I'll need to adjust my viewpoint to a certain extent so that I can resume a satisfying life back out in the woods and mountains....

So my question is to those of you out there with similar bad backs- what kind/make of backpack works for you / would you recommend???

Thanks for all the great Trip Reports, I've certainly "enjoyed" the trails & tales!

Hey Jake!

I bought an EMS Habitat 80 last year after years of hiking with an Osprey 50 as my backpack. I can definitely carry more stuff easier than I did with the smaller pack. The lumbar support IMO is excellent. The one thing I do miss is the belt pockets. Now, I may have been foolish to be trying to carry overnight gear in such a small bag before, but the difference in how my back feels after lugging 40lbs several miles is great. I also have better balance with this pack. I never owned any EMS product before, but it is made of the same materials as the other packs, and the quality of workmanship seems to be equal to most products. How durable it will prove only time will tell. I hope your back stabilizes and you can return to being pain-free!

KDT

There are a huge number of "back problems" that have entirely different root causes, treatments, and outcomes.

However, I have read that packs with aluminum or carbon stays can actually add support to the back. Packs for the ultralight enthusiasts may rely on a thinner plastic sheet or nothing at all.

I would also recommend checking out Deuter packs. I have 3 different sizes and love them.
In fact when I finished a hike last summer I told my friend I wanted to keep my pack on because it gave me such great support. Now that was first! :)

I have a terrible back, to go along with bad feet! :D

Hi Jake. I have a similar problem. I blew my discs out 18 months ago and have been very slowly coming back from it. I just reached my first summit last week (Mt. Roberts) since this happened. Still smiling from that, didn't think I'd ever hike to a summit again.

Others may disagree but I would advise taking it slowly. I spent the last year road walking and hiking mostly flat terrain. It's taken a long time to get to the point where I can ascend and descend even gentle grades.

So I've been using a fanny pack and carrying water on my belt. I am looking into some lumbar packs and hope to find something that will allow me to carry basic gear without putting any pressure on the spine. But the waist packs are really small, not sure if you could get sufficient overnight gear in one. Currently it doesn't feel like I can carry a pack on my back, so it's this or nothing for now.

Please post an update if you find anything interesting. Good luck with your recovery.

... that I'll need to replace :( my trusty, reliable old dear companion of many years, miles, peaks, & memories (my monstrous 7plus lb.- yikes!!- North Face Pivotal 75 pack) with a sexy new lightweight model (no, not a mid life crisis :) )...

You don't specify, but as you're replacing a NF 75 I assume you're overnighting, perhaps multiple nights. I'm no doctor, but I would seriously;
- take it slow & work your way up
- hike with someone younger/stronger that you can load up (I have 2 teenage boys ;))
- consider a substantially thicker/inflatable/cushier pad or pads to sleep on and
- consider an old school external frame pack. I have a circa 1984 Kelty in great condition. If you want to borrow it for a while, PM me.

Three weeks ago was a turning point for me when my 38 years of playing and working too hard resulted in two herniated discs in my lower back- my legs were temporarily disabled and the searing pain from my waist to my toes was absolute misery!!! I'm glad to say that the stabbing pain is gone and I'm mostly mobile again, however I must be ultra careful to not cause further damage which will likely result in surgery or worse... QUOTE]

Three weeks doesn't seem like enough time. With back problems three months may not be enough.

Be honest with your Dr and follow his/her advice. Maybe consult a chiropractor. I think we have one that posts on this forum. :) Huummm, now who is that? ;)

Maybe consult a chiropractor. I think we have one that posts on this forum. :) Huummm, now who is that? ;)

Haha!

Actually, I have never professionally investigated packs and backs. Perhaps I could start a project and get sent hundreds of different packs to check out.

As long as the bulk of the weight is carried through the hips (via the iliac crests, actually) I am uncertain (ie. not convinced) that one model is superior to any other. Just a quick note: compressive forces through the discs are much less a factor in disc disease than torsional and side bending forces, which suggests that it's not so much the pack as how you, the wearer, move with the pack. This implies that motor control and muscular coordination (not to be confused with muscular strength, which is nowhere near as important in this regard as popular belief would suggest) play the most important roles in limiting the potential harm done to backs, bad or healthy, by packs.

Poles!

Haha!

Actually, I have never professionally investigated packs and backs. Perhaps I could start a project and get sent hundreds of different packs to check out.

As long as the bulk of the weight is carried through the hips (via the iliac crests, actually) I am uncertain (ie. not convinced) that one model is superior to any other. Just a quick note: compressive forces through the discs are much less a factor in disc disease than torsional and side bending forces, which suggests that it's not so much the pack as how you, the wearer, move with the pack. This implies that motor control and muscular coordination (not to be confused with muscular strength, which is nowhere near as important in this regard as popular belief would suggest) play the most important roles in limiting the potential harm done to backs, bad or healthy, by packs.

Your last sentences imply that poles could be very important in helping to avoid this type of injury since they contribute to stability control.

Your last sentences imply that poles could be very important in helping to avoid this type of injury since they contribute to stability control.

Good point. I agree. Train hard and hike easy. (ie. if you train for hiking don't use poles.)

The OP question is like asking what type of boots is best for bad knees. Search me.

Just a quick note: compressive forces through the discs are much less a factor in disc disease than torsional and side bending forces, which suggests that it's not so much the pack as how you, the wearer, move with the pack.

But once the discs are damaged, compressive force on the spine can be a major factor. At least that has been my experience. Carrying anything more than a few pounds causes instant discomfort or pain, depending on the amount of weight.

But once the discs are damaged, compressive force on the spine can be a major factor. At least that has been my experience. Carrying anything more than a few pounds causes instant discomfort or pain, depending on the amount of weight.

That's a good point and indeed the OP was for "bad" backs.

Also good to know that there is more compression on the discs when we are sitting than when standing or walking. Another reason to go hiking! It can prevent degenerative disc disease! Interestingly (and off-topic) epidemiological studies of identical twins indicate that 50-75 % of disc disease is hereditary.

Carrying extra weight increases both the compressive and bending forces.

However, from a sufferer's viewpoint, exactly why probably doesn't matter, just that extra weight increases the pain...

Doug

Also good to know that there is more compression on the discs when we are sitting than when standing or walking. Another reason to go hiking! It can prevent degenerative disc disease! Interestingly (and off-topic) epidemiological studies of identical twins indicate that 50-75 % of disc disease is hereditary.

Neil is spot on on both points. Sitting is limited to about 45 minutes before becoming quite uncomfortable. A short walk can reset that. My mother and sister have both suffered from disc disease to some extent. I wonder if my years of hiking have contributed to my condition far exceeding theirs.

It's nice to hear a professional weigh in on this and offer good info. Thank you, and apologies to the OP if this feels like thread drift.