Updated 2012 GIS data layer for NH Conservation/Public Lands from GRANIT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sardog1

Reaction score
If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
GRANIT published an update of the GIS data layer for NH Conservation/Public Lands on November 9, 2012:

Abstract:
The GRANIT Conservation/Public Lands data layer contains a digital record of parcels of land of two or more acres that are mostly undeveloped and are protected from future development. Smaller parcels that adjoin previously mapped parcels or represent unique features, such as a bog or state-owned boat ramp, may also be included in the data layer.
Purpose:
The conservation/public lands layer provides information on land ownership patterns in the state. The boundaries are approximate, and are not meant to represent legal descriptions of the parcels.
Supplemental_Information:
Data distribution tile: statewide
Each parcel may comprise one or more tracts and thus may be represented by one or more features (polygons) in the spatial database. Multiple tracts may occur as a result of multiple acquisitions over time, single acquisitions from multiple owners, and/or a parcel that is bisected by a road or other base feature.

The data are available both in personal geodatabase format (.mdb) and in shapefile format (.shp).

A download is available at NH Conservation/Public Lands at 1:24,000 Scale.

So is there somewhere to see this layer overlaid on USGS or even road map?

So is there somewhere to see this layer overlaid on USGS or even road map?

Yes, if you use GRANITView online. You can "manipulate" the layers to display just the 7.5 minute topo mapping and the Land Conservation layer. It's nowhere near as useful as a full-fledged GIS application, but it can show you boundaries of the conservation areas. The "Identify" tool is worthless, as far as I can tell, which is too bad. On a grown-up GIS app, it could be used within the conservation lands layer to find out ownership and other info about a block of conservation land.

Thanks Sardog,the topographic map is great,one of the better ones I have seen.Nothing like a good map.Kudos to whoever put this one together.

I find the online GranitView to be basically worthless, the Topography layer doesn't have contours and the base map shows only major roads so I can't match the conservation areas with known features - I'm looking near West Stewartstown if anybody wants to post a snippet to prove me wrong

Here's a map done in a few minutes on GRANTView that should look familiar. The diagonal shading is the Conservation/Public Lands layer.
Thanks
I think you might need to dig deeper into the GRANITView Help file?
Yup
Just posting the usual disclaimer about this layer. Much of the land shown on this is NOT public land. It may be conserved, but that does not always mean there is public access provided for in the easement.
While the default is to show all conservation land as the same green, by clicking on the + sign you can get different shading for different types

If you click on the + sign for labels, you get the name/owner so you can attempt to get contact info from Google

A little clunky but still quite useful, I finally have the info I needed on Friday :)

If you click on the + sign for labels, you get the name/owner so you can attempt to get contact info from Google

Several NH towns now provide online access to their land ownership records. GRANIT is working on developing a statewide parcel database for use by towns and agencies, but it's questionable whether it will ever be made available to the general public. (Maine has had a Digital Parcels Mapping initiative for the last several years.) The politics of NH make such a development exceedingly unlikely in the Granite Headed State, IMO.

Thanks

Yup

While the default is to show all conservation land as the same green, by clicking on the + sign you can get different shading for different types

A little clunky but still quite useful, I finally have the info I needed on Friday :)

Roy, in more than a few cases, it is the owner's name that is incorrect.