Backpacking the Pemi with a baby + Owl’s Head! Aug. 17-18-19

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmus

Reaction score
***WARNING #1: Do not read this for trail conditions, it’s mostly about emotions and parenthood****
***WARNING #2: My English is not perfect, I hope it won’t annoy you! ***

First of all, it’s been a while since I’ve posted something here on VFTT, but I feel pretty good about sharing this trip. Jean Sebastien (Motabobo) and I became parents of baby Victor last December, and of course that didn’t stop us from hiking. In fact, this backpacking trip started to be planned before we was even born! So, with the amazing weather window we got last week we thought here’s our chance, Victor will visit Thirteen Falls.

It started Saturday afternoon at the Lincoln Woods Trailhead, and everybody talks about bear alerts (see other VFTT TR’s). Now that’s a worry. Because of that we decide to start slowly and spend a night at the Franconia Brook Tent site to see how comfortable we are with bringing our little guy in the backcountry under those circumstances.

It is a quick hike to get there, so we can chill once the camp is set up. Spending time on the riverbank with Victor who’s playing with the rocks is simply delightful. The water is cold, but still he enjoys splashing his feet into the East Branch. We might have to cross that river in the morning, so we analyze it closely. By watching people fording the river, we can tell it’s above the knees but very doable with the heavy packs.

Sunday morning, despite the fact that I have a terrible headache, we decide to break camp and go north on the Franconia Brook Trail, toward Thirteen Falls. We know what to do to avoid bears, and as long as we can use the bear box we are safe. Clothes that gets spilled with milk and banana mess will be placed in the box as well.

The 5 miles between the two camps are done on an easy trail. Those who are familiar with the area know it is actually an old railroad, boarded by numerous 1900’s logging camps. My partner knows a lot about the subject, and his comments are breaking the monotonous hike. The packs are heavy –I carry Victor and his belongings, JS has everything else, and I’m a bit grumpy because of my headache. So it is no surprise that an overflowed diaper triggered bad words out of my mouth (actual words : REALLY, what is fun so far in this trip? Everything is so complicated and I don’t enjoy myself at all!) But as soon as we arrive at destination my head clears up and I finally understand why JS insisted on doing that trip. The water cascades are beautiful, it is remote and quiet, and the tent sites are perfect. There’s even a cooking area with a tarp, and the Caretaker Nick is doing a great job of keeping the place tidy.

At that point we have to admit we have a great outdoor baby. Victor loves the child carrier, he looks around and smiles to everyone. When he cries a little we put him down and let him play with leafs and twigs. At home we do everything to keep the baby clean, here we don’t care, now that’s real vacations!! We spend all our time at the cascades, taking millions of pictures. I’m amazed to see the old metal rods showing where the railroad use to be. Imagining a train right in the middle of the waterfalls is quite a vision! Too fast the sun comes down and more people are joining us at the tent site, we wish a good night sleep to everyone and get into our sleeping bags at the same time than Victor.

Monday morning. Another sunny day is starting and we have to decide what we do: backtrack or make the loop via the Lincoln Brook Trail. I feel much better, and trying a new trail (for me) sounds more fun. I know about the 1000 feet ascent, but no matter what we do I’ll probably complain about tired muscles, heavy packs and bugs, so let’s make it worth the trip!

On the way it’s going so well we start to talk about doing Owl’s Head. That’s a crazy idea, climbing the slide seems impossible with a baby on the back. We’ve been there, we know it’s rocky, steep… but it has great views! The peakbagger inside us is never far, which makes us think how cool it would be if Victor’s first 4K is Owl’s Head. I attack the slide with the living load while JS carries only the essentials (we dropped the fat pack at the junction). Then we switch when we enter the woods, because my legs are done. We get on the ridge, hike to the true summit, and backtrack to the first summit. We make a quick stop to feed the little guy, and then back down on safe ground. It is now 3:30pm, and we are getting hungry. After three days out eating Mountain House all we think about are burgers and comfort. The result of this lack of mental discipline is an unexpected renewal of the physical strength, enough to lead us all the way to the car. The crossings were not a problem and only the feet were painful.

On that day Victor spent 10 hours in the child carrier (about 14.5 miles), it’s a lot and not something we would do every weekend. The only thing I regret is not using the mosquito net we had, because during the last couple of hours he got several black fly bites on the head.

It was an absolutely awesome trip; the millions of pictures we took are precious as they’ll keep the images clear in our memory. My conclusion is this: Happy hiking parents = Happy hiking baby. My wish is that Victor will end up as a Happy hiker one day!

Last edited:
timmus, that was such a great report. Congratulations on the new baby, and it's great that your family is hiking together already. My daughter is 11 months old, and last saturday I carried her up Mt Washington. So I can relate to your feelings of how fun it is to hike with a little baby. But my hike was a simple straightforward dayhike. Your trip required a lot more preparation, planning, energy....and of course patience. Great job.....such a great memory. Again, congratulations on your new little hiking partner.

Last edited:
:)great tr +pix, this tr made me smile more than once! thanx for sharing! what an awesome family trip, hats off to all 3 of you!

Yeah, welcome back & what a return! First, congrats on the birth. And this TR is awesome! What an adorable little trooper you have there! Our grandson was just born a month ago and since he lives in GA we are extremely jealous! Hope we get to have a similar experience.

You didn't need the ***WARNINGS at the start of your wonderful report!!

My children who used to hike with me are all in their 20's(all 5) and most of my hikes are solo now, like Monadnock today. Your report reminded me that whether our children are 9 months or 20 years, we should make every attempt to hike with them. I really need to ask them what they would like to do, instead of inviting them on my already planned hikes which they generally turn down. While I enjoy the peaceful quiet of the woods, my children and I should be still hiking together if they are willing.

My all time favorite hike was and overnight on the Caps Ridge Trail with my 65yr young father, my two brothers, and 2 of my children.

Thank you for the reminder of what is really important and enjoy hiking with Victor as he grows in so many ways!

Yeah, Julie, stop apologizing for your 'lack' of English skills. Yur riting is tons gooder 'un a lot if poeple on dis sight! :D

I did not see a single typo, and your narrative was crystal clear. I hereby declare you fluent! :D

And Victor is just too cute!

Yeah, Julie, stop apologizing for your 'lack' of English skills. Yur riting is tons gooder 'un a lot if poeple on dis sight! :D

I did not see a single typo, and your narrative was crystal clear. I hereby declare you fluent! :D

And Victor is just too cute!

Completely agree on both fronts.

Julie, this was a great TR. You and Jean Sebastien should be proud parents. Hope to see all three of you out on the trails.

There is little doubt that Victor will grow to love hiking. If anyone was born to peakbag, it would be him!

Regards,
Marty

Thanks for sharing such a heart-warming report! I never stopped smiling reading JS's photo album. Victor is adorable! You are truly blessed. All the best to you and yours! JS did let on the good news fact that the Lincoln Brook trail has been brushed fairly recently which is useful info. Many experienced trampers have gone astray in there.

Jazzbo

Great job. You guys are hardcore!
I love the pictures of Victor in random wilderness settings - people spend big money for fake backdrops to create what you did for free in nature.
You can already tell he loves being in the wilderness. Glad to see parents raising their kids right. :)

Thanks all for your kind words.

It is interesting to note however that since then, His Highness will not play in his crib anymore, only in big open spaces in the house and no fences around me please.

I wonder why :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing, we have little Alden in outdoors training 4 months behind Victor as born in April. He loves his trips through the forest in a front carrier facing out, where he obviously spends his time taking in the variety of natural features he cruises by. Now the trick when he is fussy is to just bring him outside to his natural environment and he calms down, he especially responds to the sound and sight of rushing water.

We have yet to do a car camp or backpack but are contemplating, so your story is invaluable. Especially to consider bear when sleeping since the boy often reeks of Mommy's milk! If anyone already does not know, black bear typically only take fresh mammal prey due to trying to get at a belly full of milk.

Some of Alden's day hikes: http://wildernesswebb.wordpress.com/ we're a bit behind on new hikes.

Nice pictures you have there.
Now the trick when he is fussy is to just bring him outside to his natural environment and he calms down, he especially responds to the sound and sight of rushing water.
Yes, that works very well for us too !

If anyone already does not know, black bear typically only take fresh mammal prey due to trying to get at a belly full of milk.
I'm glad I didn't know about that before the trip !

And thanks for the nice comments everyone !