Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiker rescued on Bondcliff

Keith
    NE 4k 67 x 2

If this guy doesn't get charged for his rescue then the system is more screwed up than everyone thought. I can't wait to read the outcome of this, if they follow up.

That was an ambitious hike he had planned. I hope I can do a Zealand-Bonds traverse when I am 75 without needing a rescue.

I'm glad he's okay.

Z
    "Afoot and light-hearted I take to the open road.
    Healthy, free, the world before me.
    The long brown path before me leading me wherever I choose."
    - Walt Whitman

This guy sounds totally clueless. Clearly he hasn't been following the weather, trip reports or anything really. Very fortunate. Some day when he is older and looks back on.....never mind.

Yikes! Go back to Zealand Falls at that point. Gotta know when to quit. Glad he is ok.

"If you're gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough."

Should I be disappointed that none of the trail conditions sites were mentioned? None of the sources listed give you very much information on what's really there - the AMC will give conditions at 4 or 5 known locations only, and the other two only give weather, not how much rotten snow or postholing will be encountered...

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Glad this guy was okay. That's ambitious.

Personally, I'm not comfortable going anywhere near that distance this time of year without overnight gear but I certainly hope to be hiking a 20 miler when I'm 75 years old.

and the 5 kids heading up Flume Slide without the right footwear (sneakers? no traction?) and gear (mentioned in the article)

It seems many of us here get out year round including winter, but maybe the "warm people" have cabin fever this year and will be/are anxious to hit the trails early.

@Tim

Good point about trail conditions websites. They could be a lot more useful to the general public this time of year as people consider such ideas as "spring break hiking trips" which doesn't sound like it may entail packing crampons, snowshoes, parkas, and balaclavas.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life.
    We are but one thread within it.
    Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
    All things are bound together.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    Should I be disappointed that none of the trail conditions sites were mentioned?
    I don't think an official is ever going to officially recommend random (no offense) websites on the Internet, for legal liability purposes. It makes total sense to me that they would only reference the Obs, AMC, and "local weather stations."
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    Should I be disappointed that none of the trail conditions sites were mentioned? None of the sources listed give you very much information on what's really there - the AMC will give conditions at 4 or 5 known locations only, and the other two only give weather, not how much rotten snow or postholing will be encountered...

Tim
    I had the exact same thought. Even if they don't reference a specific site, the could suggest people look at recent trail reports online.

Thanks to technology, we get to read about the teens on Flume, thanks to technology, they got to call for help.

On the other hand, how many times do you think teens have jumped before they leaped before cell phones and Al Gore gave us the WWW.

It's what teens do, I seem to recall climbing the local hill that overlooked the highway and had every school's graduation class on it. To change it your school and year, it required going at night (plenty or light pollution from the highway) carrying paint & a few Green Monsters back when the age was 18. (we were close to 18 & quite clueless)

Did everyone else start as a four season hiker? I know I started as a three season hiker (did hunt in the fall and winter so had some clue on being out but not about how it changed in elevation, except on Mt. Washington where we all here about the weather there) and slowly started earlier, looked at winter in CT before jumping into NH & NY winter hiking. Hopefully they learned a lesson.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

The cynic is me wonders if these rescues are lining up quite well with the legislative action on rescue cards.

Quote "How do you assess a trail for spring hiking safety? "Heed weather reports; check conditions at the summits through reports provided by the Appalachian Mountain Club, local weather stations, and the Mount Washington Observatory," says Wimsatt."

Interesting. I do agree with this but IMO it is not the whole enchilada. As the Summits will always be an area of caution just below them this time a year is where conditions can be the most arduous. Yes the weather plays a big part in hiking no matter what time of year but trail conditions can be a major factor during this period of time. The lingering snowpack below treeline and above most trailheads (approximately 2000 ft. to 4000ft.) that cannot be seen from looking at the peaks from afar is what can reel in an inexperienced hiker.
    Last edited by skiguy; 05-06-2014 at 11:52 AM.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

I wanted to read whether or not he had snow shoes with him. They referenced inappropriate footwear in the second rescue but not specifically the snow shoes.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I just hope I am still hiking at 75. that's if I make it to 75