Geigerrig Hydration System: Pros, Cons, Opinions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summitseeker

Reaction score
Geigerrig Hydration System: Pros, Cons, Opinions?

I recently purchased a Geigerrig Hydration “Engine” after Outside Magazine gave it a glowing endorsement. When I saw how easily one could filter water with the addition of the designated filter (sold separately) I was interested.

Today I took it for a test run on Pawtuckaway’s North Peak. I must admit that I am not overwhelmed by this hydration system, but I thought I would start a thread and see if anyone else has an opinion on this highly touted gadget.

Overview: This is a 100 oz., 3-Liter, hydration pack that uses BPA-free materials with the addition of an “air bag” that is behind the reservoir itself. The system uses two tubes: 1. Which you obviously drink or spray from 2. A tube that is connected to a bulb with an air valve (very similar to a blood pressure cuff).

When the air bag is inflated it applies pressure to the reservoir and causes the water to spray from the bite valve. Most of the images and several endorsements speak to the fact that you can pinch the valve and spray water into your mouth, a friend’s mouth, wash something, etc.

PROS:

1. The product appears to be very well made and is guaranteed not to leak.
2. The reservoir can be turned inside out to be easily cleaned
3. There is no “suck back” so saliva does not enter the bladder and possibly taint the water supply (not an issue for most of us, I know)
4. You can spray off your hands, sunglasses, your head, etc
5. If you bite the valve the water streams effortlessly into your mouth.

CONS:

1. the stream of water does not propel a lot of volume.
2. It is not that cheap
3. The inflated system takes up almost twice as much space as a traditional hydration reservoir.
4. If you choose to squeeze the valve you pretty much have to remain motionless to collect enough water in your gaping mouth to make it worth the effort.
5. The pressurized tube is likely to freeze do to the fact there is always water in it. Mike Cherim (NH Tramper) would not approve.
6. You have a second tube and bulb hanging out of your pack, which tends to flop around.
7. The filter is sold separately.
8. Once you squeeze the valve you may not want to put it in your mouth again (assuming you are a germ-a-phobe or have dirty hands)
9. If you choose not to pressurize the system it is difficult to draw through the tube when the volume is water is low.

Potential Issues:
Winter Use: I am aware that air is the best insulator, but in addition to my concern about the tube freezing I wonder if the addition of an “air bag” facing the rear of the pack would keep a hiker’s heat from entering the system.

Here is the link

http://www.geigerrig.com/

I bought mine from a Vermont company on Ebay for $41 (free shipping)

Does anyone else have any experience with this or want to chime in?

Thanks,

Z :D

My friends on the Great Divide MBR had those hydro bags though without the built in filtration and they liked them, not the lightest, but it was strong enough to last the whole ride for them.

Jay

My friends on the Great Divide MBR had those hydro bags though without the built in filtration and they liked them, not the lightest, but it was strong enough to last the whole ride for them.

Jay

Thank you for your reply Jay H

Looks like quite a product. I'm curious how you used it in an existing backpack though. The tube for the actual water sticks out and connects to shoulder strap like normal I assume. But what about the pump? The tube on the video I watched looked fairly short and toward bottom of bag. Do you have to stop and open pack to pump it or was it in fact long enough to get to outside of pack? How often did you have to pump it?

Looks like quite a product. I'm curious how you used it in an existing backpack though. The tube for the actual water sticks out and connects to shoulder strap like normal I assume. But what about the pump? The tube on the video I watched looked fairly short and toward bottom of bag. Do you have to stop and open pack to pump it or was it in fact long enough to get to outside of pack? How often did you have to pump it?

Hi DayTrip,

The second tube is long enough to exit from the top of the hydration port access. Thankfully it does hang over my shoulder for easy access and I find that the product works best when pumped after several drinks.

The day I used it I was testing out the method of pinching the bite valve and spraying it into my mouth. I tried it again at home after a quick rinse of the valve and biting it will yield a fair amount of water even when not fully pressurized.

Thanks,

Z :D

I believe Geigerrig also makes "camelback" like daypacks with a sheath and pocket for the pump tube, etc. My friends had packs from G. as well as the bladders... these packs were small enough to be daypacks and not really backpacks.

Jay