First The King, And Then A Couple Presidents, 7/16/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
July 16, 2011: Adams & Madison via King Ravine

Trails: Air Line Trail, Short Line Trail, King Ravine Trail, Subway, Ice Caves Loop, Gulfside Trail, Osgood Trail, Howker Ridge Trail, Sylvan Way, Valley Way

Summits: Adams, Madison

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

It’s been quite a while since we hiked in the Northern Presidentials. In fact, our last time there was July 3, 2010 when we hiked Jefferson via King Ravine. It was time to spend a day on the rough granite trails of the area. This return visit included King Ravine but the additional targets were Adams and Madison.

We arrived at Appalachia early to find the lot completely full. Our spot was just off the entrance at the road. While we were preparing to start J & J pulled in. They spotted us driving through Twin Mountain, knew of our plans, and decided to stop for a quick visit on their drive to their hike targets. That was a terrific start to the day – it’s always nice to see them. Some day we might actually hike together – if our list-chasing lines up.

We started out on Air Line for the hike to Short Line junction, and from there we hiked Short Line to King Ravine Trail. Everything was clear and dry. The small amount of mud we found along the way was easy to get past. Once we hit King Ravine Trail the scenery got more interesting and so did the trail. The first noteworthy place is Mossy Falls on Cold Brook. By the time we reached this point the boulders had already started to show up. The floor of King Ravine is a field of huge bolders. We passed Mossy Falls and the trail changed to a walkway through the boulder field; and the change happened fast. In a very short time we were using hands and feet to make progress. Sue and I haven’t been on all of the trails in the Whites but we have hiked a lot of them together and King Ravine Trail is her favorite mainly because of the boulders, caves, and headwall climb. She called it a huge jungle gym. We planned on enjoying all of it.

After getting into the boulder field, the trail goes to an open area where there are great views in all directions, especially up. Up includes Durand Ridge on the east, the headwall straight ahead, and the west ridge with Crag Camp. Down low, it’s all boulders, huge boulders. The trail goes over and around the boulders on its way to the headwall. There are a couple diversions available for a little added variety. We planned to enjoy these diversions.

Subway, as the name suggests, goes under the boulders. We took Subway on our way through King Ravine. As we were starting into Subway the flash on my camera stopped working. The flash still fired but the images were black. Perhaps it’s a timing problem. I hope it isn’t an expensive repair. Unfortunately, there are no inside-the-caves pictures. In Subway, there are some pretty tight places and on two occasions I had to remove my pack, push it ahead, and then follow to keep making progress. Eventually, we popped out of the boulders back on trail.

We continued on to Ice Caves, which is actually a series of shorter cave segments. When we reached the entrance there was a cold breeze coming out of the cave; cold enough to let us see our breath vapor in July! Last year Sue found a snowman hiding in there and we were hoping to find one on this pass through. We started in. Again, there were places where my pack came off to make progress. We did find quite a bit of ice but there were no snowman body parts – everything was solid. Sue even removed her pack and climbed down into an area below the normal route to check some ice but found no snowman there. Maybe we’ll come back next July and check again.

Back on the elevated trail we were starting into the steep climb of the headwall. In fact, while passing through the cave loops we gained quite a bit of elevation. At the first boulder that was high and in the clear we could see back to the open boulder area where we started into Subway.

The climb to the ridge is little more than that; a steep climb that had quite a few stops along the way. Some stops were to get a break and others were to look around at the scenery. We had a target time in our hike plan for reaching the junction with Air Line at the top of the headwall and were on plan. Our planning for each hike includes key milestones along the way with timing estimates. We can easily see where we are at any time in our hike and know if we can spend a little extra time smelling the roses.

Once we hit the top of the headwall, Sue started talking about a lunch break. We were soaked and the temperature was predicted to be in the low 50’s at the higher elevations. There was enough of a breeze to mean we either needed to locate a sheltered spot or pull out jackets. We went looking for a sheltered place. That place was at the bottom of the final climb to Mount Adams. A short distance off-trail in a place where there were several large boulders that had a sheltered side and were perfect for a lunch spot. We stepped off trail, removed our packs, and relaxed for a while. Soon it was time to get moving and we were back into the hike.

Once we emerged from King Ravine, the crowds were significantly larger. Looking around, we could see people everywhere. There were quite a few on the descent from the summit of Adams. It was definitely a nice day to be wandering the Northern Presidentials. We made a steady climb to the summit to find a good number of people lounging there. We didn’t hang around for long – we got our usual summit pictures and started for Madison.

On the descent from Adams we ran into a couple we first met a week earlier on Owl’s Head. Jackie and Jim were also hiking Madison and Adams but they took a different route. It’s always nice to see familiar faces and this time was no exception. After a brief visit we all said goodbye and continued our hikes. Part of the plan for the day included water re-supply at the refurbished Madison Spring Hut. The water system there was getting a good work out and we were treated to really good, very cold water. I filled my reservoir and made a quart of Gatorade. The hut looked nice but there were quite a few negative comments concerning limited facilities in the restrooms (men’s room was a two-holer with a long line).

After the break at the hut we set off for the final target for the day. A half mile and ~550 feet in elevation and we were standing on the summit of Madison. Sue pulled out a package of cookies and we found a couple rocks out of the wind to enjoy a snack and the scenery.

Hiking the Northern Presidentials is a little more work than most other areas. Both of us were getting tired and we still had an exit hike ahead of us. Slightly rested and recharged we grabbed our packs and started out. From Madison we could take Watson Path to Valley Way, or backtrack to the hut and take Valley Way, or stay with our original plan and take Howker Ridge Trail. Our original plan is nearly a mile longer than the other choices but we could see from the summit it’s a more interesting hike. We headed to the Osgood - Howker trails junction.

I have previously hiked Howker Ridge Trail with Dave Lynch and Chris. That time through was an ascent to the summit of Madison. After this hike I can say ascending Howker Ridge Trail early in the day is a lot more enjoyable than descending it late in the day. That’s a tough trail for tired legs. There are a few small ascents over the Howks along the way but there are several very steep descents that will make your thighs burn.

Along the descent, a short distance after the lower junction with Pine Link, we met two guys and three dogs doing a night Presi Traverse. Two of the dogs were really good looking Ridgebacks, I’m not sure what the other breed was. After that group it was quiet hiking for the remainder of the way. We cleared the final Howk, then Blueberry Ledges. I mentioned the Bear Pit to Sue and told her when we came to it we would soon be hiking more moderate trail conditions. At Hitchcock Fall we crossed Bumpus Brook and pulled out our headlights. We worked under the lights for the remaining ~1.6 miles.

From Hitchcock Fall to Sylvan Way is a short ~.3 mile. We made the turn, followed Sylvan Way to Valley Way, and then headed for Appalachia. The extra time we spent at the hut and on the summit of Madison plus the rough exit from Madison on very tired legs probably accounted for coming a little later than planned; but we shoot for dark and sometimes we’re a little off.

Thanks Sue, it was a really fun day. I’m glad we both hiked the caves this time through King Ravine. Next time we’ll do a round trip so you can see what you think about descending the headwall.

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:D

Last edited:
It was great seeing you guys that morning. Sounds like you had another great trip and we look forward to sharing a hike with you two someday soon.

Awesome trip report Earl, I always love reading them and then I look forward to the slideshow later. Love the pics going up kings ravine.

It was great seeing you guys that morning. Sounds like you had another great trip and we look forward to sharing a hike with you two someday soon.
Thanks to both of you. It sure was a nice surprise to see you two before our hike. Your stop really got our day pointed in the right direction.

:)

Awesome trip report Earl, I always love reading them and then I look forward to the slideshow later. Love the pics going up kings ravine.

Thanks.

I now understand why Sue likes King Ravine Trail as her favorite. Last year I was concerned with my shoulder problems and the tight places. Consequently, I stayed on the elevated trail and avoided the caves. I waited at the end of each for Sue to come through. Now I know. Future hikes will have the caves as my first-choice approach. It's a fun and very unique experience.

:D

I just made a plug on another thread for Icy Gulch in Randolph. It is similar to the Subway although a lot longer, its great for a hot and hazy day. The boulders are smaller so there are fewer caves, but ice is found in many locations. It does require some gymnastics in spots and a bit of butt sliding is usually the easiest way to go in some spots. Its about a 5 hour round trip and I recommend doing it CW.

It might be a weekend destination !

Great report and photos! The subway and ice caves sound awesome. I'll definitely have to check out King Ravine soon! :)
Hey neighbor (I think),

Thanks. The caves are a lot of fun and good places to get out of the heat for a while before climbing the headwall.

I hope you enjoy the place.

;)

I just made a plug on another thread for Icy Gulch in Randolph. It is similar to the Subway although a lot longer, its great for a hot and hazy day. The boulders are smaller so there are fewer caves, but ice is found in many locations. It does require some gymnastics in spots and a bit of butt sliding is usually the easiest way to go in some spots. Its about a 5 hour round trip and I recommend doing it CW.

It might be a weekend destination !
Just one question.....

What do you suggest for the other half of the day? A second pass?

:rolleyes: