2019 Black Fly Season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They come to visit on Mothers Day and leave by Fathers Day. Some years they tend to head up to the summits. There were few years where they were significant on Pres Traverse weekend on the ridgelin.

They've been flitting for about a week in the Helderbergs outside of Albany, NY for a week. Same in the Catskills. The males, the ones that bite, should be out shortly.

They're around here in the Concord/Bow area of NH. Have been for about a week. Annoying. Biting. :O

Out in southern NH yesterday and they were hungry.

At least the black flies let you know they are out for blood, ticks on the other hand give no warning and the consequences are potentially far worse.

I sprayed three pairs of zip off pants and the pants I use for cutting wood this weekend with permethrin.

At least the black flies let you know they are out for blood, ticks on the other hand give no warning and the consequences are potentially far worse.

I already got nailed by tick #1 a couple weeks ago here in Warner, and a deer tick, no less. Fortunately I got it in time, but now every little itch and hair movement is a potential tick. :rolleyes:

Oh, and black flies came out in force as of yesterday here.

I've spent past 4 weeks hiking in the Catskills and this was the first weekend I'd say they were a factor, biting etc,. People on the Catskills Facebook group made it sound like bugs and mud were a nightmare out there right now. Not sure if I've just been lucky or chosen the less buggy areas but the hiking out there has been pretty fantastic and mud is quite manageable, unlike the Adirondacks or Whites.

I rode through Hazens Notch (VT Route 58) last Sunday and had to stop afterwards to take the helmet off and evacuate the black flies.

They were brutal on Vanderwhacker on 6/1. Only time I've seen them worse has been during Memorial Day weekend 25 years ago on Prospect.

Up here in the Longfellow mountain range of Maine we are almost exactly a month behind last Spring weatherwise. I gauge this by the blooming blossoms of my big old pioneer apple tree. Last year it was in full blossom on May 1st, this year On May 30th. I guess that the old Father's day vanishing of the Buffalo Flies will also be delayed this year by possibly a month. Except on the summits of course where they tend to remain almost throughout the summer. I sincerely hope not.

The black flies (which are normally not a major issue at my house in Gorham) have faded away but the mosquitoes have come back with a vengeance especially in the later afternoon/evening. Not sure how it is in the woods but looks like the black flies may be sticking with the gone by Fathers Day tradition.