Experienced all season hikers in NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mafogle said:
ADK4Life
Personally, I'd take Boot Spur Trail from Pinkam Notch, it's one of the less frequented routes.

And it is a really beautiful trail! I did it a couple of years ago--highly recommended.

I tried to bareboot Washington up Ammonusuc an April day two years ago but had to use 6 point instep crampons on the ledges because of ice. I came down Jewell that day and had no problems.

Boot Spur might be post-hole hell right now without snowshoes.

If you plan to leave from Pinkham, get there early because the parking lot is full..lots of spring skiers. I would go from the west, Ammo/Crawford path(see pg. 44-45 White Mtn. Guide #27). There are other great climbs near Washington too, i.e Wildcats,Carter Dome, etc. Should be good weather, have fun and be safe.

Tucks & Lion's Head or Ammo would be best routes without snowshoes but crampons would be very advisable as warm weather is slated to end later today. I'm headed up Kinsmans (this means it will rain the entire time I'm in the Whites - well usually the last couple of years it means that)

We did Boott Spur last weekend (descending). Snow is very firm (we barebooted). There were some postholes, but few and far between. We may have added 2-4, but no more - it was firm. There is a section just before it drops into the scrub (on descent) where we lost the trail for about 20 minutes. Lots of footprints in every direction. We eventually settled on the most promising looking tracks, which may not have been 100% right, but got us to the trail proper in short order.

My .02: I'd head into the bowl, climb directly up the Right Gully, up the snow fields to the summit, then decide on your descent route. You will have fun watching the skiers. To me it all adds to the experience rather than detracts from it. Boott Spur is a fine destination for descent, but longer than others. To get to it, you will skirt the bowl on the Tuckerman Ravine trail to a Connector trail (can't remember the name) to get to the Davis Path. This will take you to the Boott Spur Trail. When you get to the treeline you will lose the trail in a maze of footprints (ours and many others before us). Although the last blaze that you see is a double, it marks an ASCENDING turn. The correct path is directly in front of you (toward a knob below), dropping immediately into the scrub (at least that is what we used, and it worked)

I hope that you have the day we had last Sunday! I may be heading up beyond Tuckermans (Right Gully, Lobster Claw, or some other gully) this Saturday if the weather is decent.

Last edited: