Cannon Mtn. Tram, Hiker Friendly?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

^MtnMike^

Reaction score
Just curious, is the tram on Cannon Mountain hiker friendly (are they cool with hikers utilizing it for one-way trips? In my case top to bottom)

And if so...

Can you purchase a ticket at the top, or do you have to buy the tickets at the bottom before you hike up?

Thanks!
^MtnMike^

We came down that way once during ski season. I don't think you'll have a problem ... unless you try to claim it for your peakbagging list. :)

But you can hike up the normal trail and come down on the tram. There is really no reason to use the ski trails. Though I think they would be much less steep. You can buy tickets up top or just buy one at the bottom and use it on the way down.

And in the summer (maybe winter too) some hikers use it to access the top of Cannon and then go on down the Kinsman range. In the winter, it's a lift for skiers, ergo a one-way trip. I've snowshoed up the KRT and come down on the tram as it makes it possible to do a good 'shoe on an afternoon when you don't have much time as dusk comes early.

Last fall I was planning on doing the Cannonballs via the Hi-Cannon Trail but an ice storm was brewing when I got up to the ridge, so I took the tram down and took the Pemi back to my car. They didn't sell me a ticket at the top, but the conductor (is that the right word?) made sure I went over and bought my one-way ticket when we got down to the base. I wasn't too happy they charge you more than half the cost of the two-way ticket.

Thanks for the info!

Stan said:
... unless you try to claim it for your peakbagging list. :)

Nope! :)
I was more interested in riding the tram since I've never been on one before. I figured if I put it together with a hike I'd have a nice day out (and my knees will thank me that night!).

^MtnMike^

One thing to note for the future is that there are seasons for the tram. This summer it runs from May 27 to Oct 16 then it's closed until ski season.

Oh, and back before my hiking daze, I did ride up the train and come down Hi-Cannon. It's wicked easy if you do it that way. ;)

Last edited:
The rocky section below the tram line is CLOSED to hikers.

^MtnMike^ said:
Just curious, is the tram on Cannon Mountain hiker friendly (are they cool with hikers utilizing it for one-way trips? In my case top to bottom)

And if so...

Can you purchase a ticket at the top, or do you have to buy the tickets at the bottom before you hike up?

Thanks!
^MtnMike^

I did exactly what you want to do and had no problem. I took the Kinsman Ridge Trail up. The guy who sold me the one-way ticket at the summit was a good guy, you won't have any problem whatsoever.

I loved the hike up but hated to ride the tram down. The only reason I did so is because I have a bad left knee and while ascending is no problem, descending at times is. That day my knee, even though braced, was bothering me enough, so I figured why screw it up even more.

Enjoy your hike, the tram ride is cool, very scenic. :)