Best Treking poles??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjo

Reaction score
Going to get my first pair of treking/hiking poles. I do some traveling so they need to be able to collapse to fit in my luggage. Have one bad knee and feel these will help. They'll be used for genl hiking only. Is anti shock a good thing? what brand/types do you recommend? Whats best bang for the $?? Thanks..

Hi JJO,
I have a reconstructed knee and started using one pole back in 1995. I liked it so much I went to 2 poles in '96 and never looked back.

I have gone through about 4-5 complete sets over the years , mostly Komperdells and Advance Base Camp (ABC) which I believe became LifeLink a number of years ago. I believe that there are only 3-4 pole makers out there now - Leki, LifeLink and Komperdell and Black Diamond - I think this covers most of them.

Black Diamond (BD) uses an exterior flicklock, the rest use an expanding interior cuff, where you twist the poles to loosen the cuff and adjust the length, and retwist to tighten the cuff. I can't comment on BD's though I have heard nothing but good comments about the flicklock design.

The Leki and Kompers look very similiar, but you can tell them apart easily by the basket attachment (Pegs denote Komperdells - The basket twists and locks into place). Komperdell makes the EMS proprietary brand and a few others. I don't know who makes REI's. Leki's also tend to run a bit more expensive than Komperdells, but seem to last longer.

As for style, I like the 3 section plain poles with no anti-shock attachment. I wait until they are on closeout somewhere and pick them up as cheap as possible. The 3-section models usually close a little smaller than 2 sections and are easier to get in a duffle (IMMHO) when flying and seem a bit stronger.

I usually can get 3 years out of a set of Komperdells, The Leki's that I got in '99 are still going strong, though I have replaced the cork grips and tips already. I do beleive you get a better pole with Leki.

The insides of the twist lock poles (aluminum)will corrode into powder over time, making the mechanism tricky at best. Never use oil to lubricate. I find I take my shotgun cleaning brush and take the poles apart, slide it in and clean oxidation as much as possible and they work fine for another year.

I also have a set of old ski poles that I sometimes use, though I rather like the ability to collapse my poles and attach them to my pack so that they are not lying crooked or moving around scratching the interior plastic walls of my auto.

Check Sierra Trading Post, REI-Outlet or Killerdeals.com for closeouts. Check that the closeouts are not due to material or manufacturing flaws, but rather overstock or design change. A pole with a weak spot in the aluminum would not last long.

Hope this helps
Rick

Last edited:
I love my hiking poles and I was once a guy who used to mock people for spending good money on poles. I repented, I converted.

I have the REI Traverse ($75) and they've held up well into their third year of heavy use. The Traverse has shock absorbers built in but I hike with the shocks turned off. I feel more connected to the trail with a rigid pole.

Looking back on my purchase, I feel I overthought my purchase decision. I mean, a pole is a pole is a pole and there's only so many features and benefits it can have (shock, weight, ergo design, grip, anything else?) and when the rubber hits the road, a $50 pair of poles is not going to perform significantly different than a $150 pair. (see for yourself. Go to rei.com and use their "compare" feature to do a side-by-side of their cheapest and most expensive pair. You wont see that much of difference in features.)

So buy a pair of poles! You'll love 'em, especially on descents, but I wouldnt recommend breaking the bank on this purchase.

thanks,
denton fabrics

I have Cascade Designs Walking Staffs.

It is all a matter of personal preference. I hate rubber grips (blisters), I am OK with cork grips and I love rounded tops (no grip). I also despise anti-shock. Go ahead and try to find a good pair of poles without anti-shock - its hard. And I don't want to be able to disable it, because that doesn't work well. I heard that the new Leki's are able to completly disable the anti-shock, but I haven't used a pair that didn't turn on and off the entire hike.

The Cascade Designs have a button system rather than a twist-and-tighten system which I really prefer. The also have wooden knobs on the top which I find very comfortable. Finally, as a bonus, you can unscrew the knob and you have yourself a mono-pod for your camera. Anyway, these are the poles for me. Here is a link:

http://www.trackspoles.com/trekking.asp?Action=Superlite3

I also have the REI Traverse poles, I had never used poles until this spring and I must say I really enjoy using them. You get better leverage on the uphills and you also are able to get a good rhythm going with your upper body. I read somewhere that on descents they can take about 20-25 percent of the stress off your knees as well.

I have Komperdells. I do NOT like their twist lock mechansim. They always seems to collapse at the most inopportune times. I have heard Leki and Black Diamond do not have this problem. Oh yeah, first pair were anti-shock HATED that feature, much better w/o.

I haven't had mine long enough to give a good or bad review. But over the past few trips, I've noticed they are lighter than anyone else's in my group. They're REI Peak UL's, no shock and $130 at REI. They're made by Komperdell. I've only used 'em a few times, but they held up fine under my 200 pounds + day pack. The grips and the straps are really comfortable too.

leki & antishock = happy camper

I've gone thru a few sets of poles and I'll tell you about the NEXT set I'll buy: they will be leki brand because of the remarkable customer service described on this and other boards. Also, they will have antishock (that can be disabled) because it is wonderful going downhill without all that vibration jolting your body. Also, I like cork grips and I find the angled grips helpful too. They might cost a little more, and I am a budget minded camper, but some things are just worth it. I used to have non anti-shock poles, and then I tried my partners Leki antishock while going down south twin. The difference was amazing. Now I have an "off brand" with antishock and cork grips, which I like a lot (Italbastoni) but since I bought them I've heard of Leki replacing people's poles after they bent them FREE of charge. Next time, I'll pay extra for that kind of service.

Without question, the locking mechanism in the Leki pole is superior to that in the Komperdell. I work for an outdoor retailer and we see a significantly higher percentage of the Komperdells come back with busted locking mechanisms than we do Lekis. That being said, the Komperdells can often be found significantly cheaper than the Lekis, and the big outdoor retailers (EMS, REI, etc.) will take your busted Komperdells back and usually give you a new pair. Of course, that doesn't do you much good when you're 2 miles into a 15 miles hike and the locking mechanism breaks. All things considered, my vote goes for the Lekis, purchased on sale of course!

The Black Diamond flicklock poles have also received good reviews. A few folks don't care for them because the clamps do have to be adjusted with a screwdriver to ensure proper tension/friction. The screw does have a tendency to "migrate" on its own, and if caught in the field without a screwdriver, you could be stuck with a useless pole. Another point to note is that the flicklock poles don't collapse down as small as the twist lock style poles (the ones without the shocks, that is).

John

I have used Komperdell's (under the REI brandname) or the past 6-7 years adn like them a lot. They do require som maintenance, but I rarely have them collapse wehn I adjust them correctly.

My current pair is the REI Ascent Anti-Shock Trekking Poles that I picked up for $68 on sale. I was not looking for an anti-shock pair, but liked the foam grips better than my Summit's rubber. They come with the new Duo-lock system, and it was very easy to keep them tight. I took them out this past weekend and also noticed that the straps did not loosen at all over the 3 days. I loved that! As for the anti shock feature, I did find myself fooling with it more than I liked to (new toy, etc.), and did find that it turned off/on when I did not expect it. At river crossings, steeps, I would just make sure they were in the position I wanted: the rest of the time I did not care (or notice much difference).

I like the Komperdell offerings but have never used the Lekis.

leki

Leki is the way to go. After breaking a section of my Leki poles on a trip down Allen (ADKs) in the winter I called them up to get a replacement section. They said they'd ship it right out. When I asked how much, they said it would cost me nothing, a warranty item. The section came a week later. I've heard similar stories with Leki.

You may pay an extra buck or two, but with that type of customer service, I highly recommend them.

Mark

Thank you all

Very helpful info in the responses above. I feel now I'm ready to go make a purchase. Learned more here in this thread than several magazine articles, 2 or 3 books I checked and 3 websites. Thanks guys. You know your stuff and it has helped a LOT!! Last comment/question is how do you feel about mail/internet ordering instead of a real store (REI, Dicks, etc)? Seems might be easier to deal w a local store should a problem or return develop. But mail order prices are generally better. LMK your thoughts. Thanks again! Jerry

I have had no problems with mail order from Brick and Mortar merchants. I don't usually purchase from vendors with just a website with the exception of KillerDeals.com and outdooroutlet.com (Kelty 2nds). Both seem reputable based on my 5-6 purchases from them.

STP is also very good and usually offers a UPS return shipping label (where they only deduct $5.00 from any return credits). REI & REI outlet offer free shipping to a local store (Which is dangerous, as I always, always end up buying something else when I stop in to pick up my order).
Good Luck
Rick

I had a pair of EMS-branded Komperdells (3-section w/shock abs) and bent one descending into Jimmy Dolan Notch in the Catskills a couple of years ago. Took the pole to the EMS store on LI and was given full credit towards another pair - or anything else in the store. I added a little cash to the credit and got a pair of Leki Makalus and have since fallen in love with them. Not quite as easy to change lengths, but the on/off for the shocks works really well and the poles just feel sturdier than the Komps. Also, the cork grips on the Lekis seem to fit my mitts a little better.

I have purchased both in-person and on-line from EMS and Campmor and on-line only from REI, Sierra Trading Post and a small retail outfit in Tennessee whose name I can't recall (and who gave me a killer deal on a factory-new Marmot Helium). I have never had a bad experience with any of these merchants, but I would want to purchase a pack, boots/shoes, or any other items where fit is critical, in person.

I have Leki and Komperdell, and I haven't had problems with either. They both will slip if I don't tighten them enough. Never a catastrophe, I just notice that one side has gotten a little shorter...

I do like the cork grips however, and the anti-shock does seem to help on the long downhills. I'm interested to hear about the repair / replace policies - I fell on my Komp's & bent them pretty good, but didn't bother to ask for a replacement section. The fact that I picked up a super deal on a replacement/closeout/sale/with a cupon for $21 at EMS didn't encourage me to whine - but I can still try taking them back.

And they are the greatest invention since metal tipped shoe laces!

Hiking Poles

Lots of good input. I have my first pair, which were a pair of Leki anti-shocks. I recently bought a pair of Komperdell Titanals on sale from sierra trading post (some stronger but lighter material). Both pair have worked fine. Both have had their moments of slipping but sometimes I think it's just me not tightening them up good enough so they stay put. anti-shock vs non: if you can get a good pr of anti-shock on sale for the same price as non then go w/ anti-shock. but i wouldn't bend over backwards or spend extra money for anti-shocks. i've used both and can't say i notice so much of a difference i'd recommend the extra money. however, poles are just great to have - PERIOD. now when i see someone hiking without them they are either those tough cookies who run the trails and don't need them because they have knees of steel and awesome balance, someone who shouldn't even be on the trail much less on one w/o poles, or someone i know would love them once they tried them! they just make life so much easier & have saved me from some serious falls on more than one occassion. i think things to look for are: what type of handle/grip they have. if you have sweaty hands you may want a cork handle. if you have wrist problems maybe look for handles/grips that are angled vs straight. most these days collapse down 3 times so that shouldn't be an issue. you'll want hiking baskets for winter and probably for summer too altho i know some folks don't use them at all in the summer. most come with the summer ones - make sure they can be firmly secured onto the pole so you aren't losing them all the time. some of the basics i can think of. you don't need to spend a ton i would say anywhere between $40 (sale price) to $100 tops new lines. look at places like: sierra trading post, cabelas, ems, rei, campmor etc.

I'm using Komperdell's now-they're light and comfortable on the hands but
they do collapse quite often. I had Black Diamonds -they were heavier but
sturdy.

One problem with anti-shock (Komperdell variety) is that if your pole gets stuck in the mud and you hyper-extend it the little anti-shock springey thing will fly out and your poles will be useless. Just something (one more thing to go wrong in the middle of nowhere) to consider. Simpler is better IMO. :D