Why is it important to "Leave No Trace" ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkyfreddy

Reaction score
Ok, I want to post the question again, give it it's own thread since the subject seems to come up often. I want to hear what others think before I post my own opinions on the matter. Yes, I really want to know what you think, so please feel free to post your opinions. Who knows, with new insight into the subject I might even change mine!

!!!One thing I will request is to keep the conversation civil!!! We can do that, can't we? I would love to see a good discussion and lively debate happen here, w/o fear for our reputations! :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

Last edited:
Leave a place as nice as you find it

Isn't it a matter of common courtesy? You should try to leave a place as clean or cleaner than you found it. Most of us will pick up a few pieces of litter and carry that out too.
I was a little skeptical of the idea of a White Mountain wilderness when I first logged on a couple of years ago because it had been a hard-used industrial area within the past century, and then a popular hiking and camping area with amenities like shelters.
Now, it's clear to me that the Whites, at least, are seriously overused and need regulations that require us to carry out trash. Give credit to almost everyone on this site for educating me.
The old Boy Scout way was to bury it but that wouldn't work nowadays either. There's probably a lot of burned beef stew cans a foot below the surface in the Whites, along with empty Sterno cans.
Last point, on a recent similar thread, it was learned it is against the law to remove historical artifacts such as saws, railroad equipment, even office desks from the White Mountain National Forest.
LNT means if you brought it in, bring it out. If you didn't bring it in, leave it there.

jjmcgo said:
Last point, on a recent similar thread, it was learned it is against the law to remove historical artifacts such as saws, railroad equipment, even office desks from the White Mountain National Forest.
LNT means if you brought it in, bring it out. If you didn't bring it in, leave it there.
IIRC, its litter if it is less than 50 yrs old and (officially) a historical artifact if it is more than 50 yrs old. So check the date stamped on the object in question to see if you should bring it out. :)

edit:
Found the reference. The above 50yrs is spcified by the federal antiquities act. Applies to federal property (eg WMNF), funded projects, etc.

Doug

Last edited:
IMO, leave no trace is a concept that is more tied with land management attitudes from western states where there is a mythology of wide open spaces that can absorb dispersed usage.

The problem, of course, is that human usage of terrain tends to get concentrated for a variety of reasons. Some related to the logistics of travel over the terrain (cols, river fords and such), others by human whim (peaks, views, ponds with beaches).

Once concentrated impact kicks in, I think "leave no trace" should be trumped by a "localize impact" model. Tent platforms and maintained trails are a perfect examples of "traces" that serve to minimize impact by intentionally hardening sacrificial zones and trying to keep the impact there.

In the end though, any of these management approaches is overwhelmed by sheer volume. And traffic concentrators like trails, platforms and such can increase volume by making it easier to access the wild place in question. When considering a pristine drainage, which is better/worse? A single hammered-on trail that attracts big crowds? Or 3 unmaintained but commonly used "routes"?

Last thought on this... I think the approaches people articulate may be tied to a deeper understanding of humanity's place in the created world. Here is an interesting thought experiment. Imagine a virgin mountain valley unvisited by humans. No imagine this same mountain valley with a single person walking throught it? Which image seems more "natural" to you and why? The thing we're getting at here is what is this, Is humanity a natural part of creation or is humanity some sort of non-natural thing? The Ghia Hypothesis and the Wise Use movement may form polar extremes on this.

Now, where to pitch my tent....

All animals leave traces, we are no different. My favorite "traces" are the bear claw marks on the beech trees. (starting to collect photo's of well defined ones) Deer and I would guess moose create their own paths that they use to the point that you can follow them somewhat easily. I think that trails, tent sites etc are acceptable traces as well as "herd" paths. What I do not find acceptable is litter, carving initials in trees and intentionally being destructive of nature, however I know I have done each at some point in my life, mostly as a kid growing up in Vermont with the woods out the back door. Anyway, that's my two cents worth.

dave.m said:
IMO, leave no trace is a concept that is more tied with land management attitudes from western states where there is a mythology of wide open spaces that can absorb dispersed usage.

The problem, of course, is that human usage of terrain tends to get concentrated for a variety of reasons. Some related to the logistics of travel over the terrain (cols, river fords and such), others by human whim (peaks, views, ponds with beaches).

Once concentrated impact kicks in, I think "leave no trace" should be trumped by a "localize impact" model. Tent platforms and maintained trails are a perfect examples of "traces" that serve to minimize impact by intentionally hardening sacrificial zones and trying to keep the impact there.

In the end though, any of these management approaches is overwhelmed by sheer volume. And traffic concentrators like trails, platforms and such can increase volume by making it easier to access the wild place in question. When considering a pristine drainage, which is better/worse? A single hammered-on trail that attracts big crowds? Or 3 unmaintained but commonly used "routes"?

Last thought on this... I think the approaches people articulate may be tied to a deeper understanding of humanity's place in the created world. Here is an interesting thought experiment. Imagine a virgin mountain valley unvisited by humans. No imagine this same mountain valley with a single person walking throught it? Which image seems more "natural" to you and why? The thing we're getting at here is what is this, Is humanity a natural part of creation or is humanity some sort of non-natural thing? The Ghia Hypothesis and the Wise Use movement may form polar extremes on this.

Now, where to pitch my tent....

Dave M you are correct LNT originated in the West CA IIRC . Certainly they open space in the west is vast compared to the crowed east that is losing more open space daily
That being said. You ask a lot of interesting questions that do not have easy answers.
Part of why pole get upset IMHO is that no matter how hard we try we leave some trace of our passing. and then as you state there are the extremes the Wise Use crew and the hard core greenies who get upset at a person taking a small stone off a summit,. or out of a river.
LNT is concept meant to educate people about the importance of not leaving trash every where. Selecting a camping spot a reasonable distance from water and in some cases trails. Not cutting down trees to make a shelter. ect.
Once again in the west this is far more feasible as there is more space. Though it is not unlimited. Here in the east there are relatively few open spaces that are open for public use.
In some places hardened tent sites are probably the best way to protect a area as the nature of the terrain limits viable places to pitch a tent.
Your question about trails is a tough one.
Using the Franconia Ridge loop as a example. Would it be a good Idea to have a trail in Walker Ravine? Would making the Lincoln’s Throat, Bushwhack scramble a path be ok? If you know where it is there is a faint "herd" path already. Should we make a trail from the Lincoln Brook trail to the Ridge ( yes I know it is a wilderness area)
Humans are of curse part of nature and have been altering the land for millions of years. That does not mean we can just make a huge mess of things.
Part of why I think debates about LNT break down is that, one people have differing views of what LNT means and of course some take things to a extreme. That is when the flame wars break out when people come off as holier than thou and give at least the impression that they and only they have the correct way to use our open spaces. I have seen this in rock climbing where A person stated screaming at some one for placing a ice screw on a climb Called Lambs slide on Longs Peak in CO. I personally did not feel the need for one but this person had a partner with them and she felt more comfortable on a rope. Of course he was going to remove the protection but to the other person doing the yelling it was some how interfering with his “wilderness experience”
First we need to establish exactly What LNT really is and listen to varying views
I personally do not have a problem with a person taking a small rock form a summit. Or river no one will ever know it happened. Now if we take boulders and cut down trees that is another matter. For some plant collecting violates LNT but humans have been doing that for a very long time. It is one thing to dig up a whole bunch of rare plants or some on the side of a trail but what bout 100ft from the trail.
Wildlife eats plants digs them up a and moves small rocks to get at food. A moose will probably eat more plants than 100 people could collect unless they used heavy equipment.
What really matters is how message is delivered and how reasonable and realistic the message is.
When one side or the other starts saying their way is the only way the whole argument breaks down and nothing gets done but more animosity and a escalation of the verbal battle.

Yes where do Ipitch my tent ?

Lnt

At the risk of using a Rumsfeld colloquialism: I cannot help but think that without question there is a need for Leave No Trace ethics. Haven’t we all seen the erosion and subsequent damage that happens when a trail or camping area are over used? The numbers of hikers is not going to decrease with time and if we want to perserve any semblance of that virgin forest for our ancesters some sort of mangement is necessary as much as we all might hate it. To me LNT is little more than common sense.... except that part where you carry your poo out in your back pocket. I draw a line there.

Hmmmm

This is more complicated than I thought. I viewed LNT as a litter issue but it appears something more.
First off, the Whites are a taxpayer-supported national forest with several designated Wilderness areas. Does this mean that the trails that are there now are the only ones that will ever be created there?
It would seem some of the trails are so heavily worn that nearby new ones should be built to give relief to the affected area and to provide hikers (taxpayers) with more attractive areas to walk through.
Also, the current tent platform areas will be damaged enough in time to reduce their attractiveness and the experience would be enhanced by relocating them.
Do the Wilderness rules prohibit new trails and platform areas?
Forever freezing these trail routes and platform locations doesn't seem the best way to provide a wilderness experience. Cutting clean new trails and letting old trails grow over (this is happening with the Ethan Pond Trail) seems like better stewardship.

>> I viewed LNT as a litter issue but it appears something more. <<

Here's a link to the 7 principles of LNT:

http://www.lnt.org/programs/lnt7/

Minimizing *litter* IS a component of LNT, but minimzing our *overall* impact on the environment is really the more comprehensive objective of LNT.

I went to official LNT training. The instructors were definitely not preachy, they would bring out all human waste, ashes from a fire, etc. but if you chose to do only some of it you were not a bad person but were starting to get the idea and with time you might on your own decide to get better.

LNT actually allows you to leave some permanent traces such as rock steps if it will save the surrounding area. At the ATC meeting a few years ago, there was a session of bigwigs who were starting to think that some trail facilities were getting too obtrusive, however.

philosophizing about LNT

I like the idea of LNT being a discipline of minimizing human impact on wilderness areas. But for me, it goes beyond that.

In the Hebrew scriptures, there is an admonition - "Thou shalt not seethe a kid in its mother's milk." Ok, not too many people I know would boil a baby goat in its mother's milk. But religious scholars, over the years, have expanded on that admonition and today's observant Jews won't eat ANY meat with ANY dairy, in order to be as far as possible from transgressing that original admonition. I like to think of LNT the same way. Sure, it doesn't REALLY matter if we take a stone from a summit or pick a wildflower here or there - the mountain won't shrink and the meadow won't turn to hardscrabble from our lone act. But what does that lone act mean to the person who commits it? For me, personally, it would be a violation of the discipline that I have imposed on myself - and only on myself. I feel better if I "take only pictures and leave only footprints." Do I care if others practice LNT? I fervently hope they do. I instruct first-timers in its concepts, but I don't expect others to live by my rules. Rules of the land management or other responsible agency? I expect everyone to obey those. Beyond that, it's a matter of personal conscience. Mine leads me to observe LNT principles as closely as I can.

Is humankind part of nature? In my opinion, yes. But we have the ability to make more choices in our behavior than our fellow occupants of the planet.

jjmcgo said:
The old Boy Scout way was to bury it but that wouldn't work nowadays either. There's probably a lot of burned beef stew cans a foot below the surface in the Whites, along with empty Sterno cans.

Hmm, and is the wilderness any worse off because of it? I am sure someone would argue something ridiculous about soil alkalinity but seriously...

I am sure we will hear from AFKA_bob at some point here...

Last edited:
Wow...Rivet.

I both love and hate that reference. Love it b/c it brings back memories and pretty much sums up LNT for me.

Hate it b/c that jingle and weird looking owl will be in my head all day. :eek:

Also isn't the last line.

"Help keep America....please keep America...looking good...hoot/hoot"

Peace.

Jasonst said:
Hmm, and is the wilderness any worse off because of it? I am sure someone would argue something ridiculous about soil alkalinity but seriously...

Well, considering that if you carry out your trash and then dispose of it properly - it ends up burried anyway (in a landfill).
:rolleyes:

I think JJ's mention of the Boy Scouts former practice of burying their garbage rings so true. However, the Scouts now have their own LNT policy, which they promote through training of adult leaders and the boys themselves. Years ago, Scouts left alot of traces; litter, feces, noise pollution, and graffitti. I think that has improved over the years (not eliminated), through the LNT principle.

As has already been stated, LNT means more than proper garbage disposal. It means trying to keep the noise pollution to a minimum, so that others can enjoy the peace and solitude of the outdoors. It means keeping one path to the top of a mountain, with as little erosion as possible, instead of many paths that wash out. I can't speak for the Whites, but in the ADK's, the small cadre of bushwackers who climb the non-46 highest, make a very conscious effort to not all walk in the same tread path. They spread themselves out to minimize impact.

And lets face it, there is no such thing as LNT, perhaps it should be called Leave A Minimum Of Trace. Mother Nature should be able to hide our signs of passage within a day or two. Hopefully.

good thread

linehant said:
Here's a link to the 7 principles of LNT:

http://www.lnt.org/programs/lnt7/

Minimizing *litter* IS a component of LNT, but minimzing our *overall* impact on the environment is really the more comprehensive objective of LNT.

I agree 100% with the basic principles. When it comes to actual practice is where opions differ. Some of my opinions on points I do not agree 100% with:

"Schedule your trip to avoid times of high use. & Visit in small groups. Split larger parties into groups of 4-6."

It does not make a whole lot of difference to the environment on which day an individual or group decides to go or if a group of 10 or 2 groups of 5 travel the same route. The experience may be more enjoyable to go on a less crowed day, but if it is a known high usage time it needs to be expected that other people will be seen. As long as everybody is respectful of each other there should not be a problem. I dislike the idea that some elitist have that the wilderness is there for them, but if others use an area it is ruining the wilderness. It is only truely wilderness if NO ONE is or ever has been there.

"Repackage food to minimize waste." This is just a matter of practicallity. Since the packaging is (presumably) going to be carried out, repacking creates more overall waste. (The original packaging plus the repackaging materials both end up in the waste stream.)

"Use a map and compass to eliminate the use of marking paint, rock cairns or flagging" Personally rock cairins do not bother me.
On a slightly diffrent note, Initials being carved in rocks is noted as an historical point of interest in some trail guides for areas that were used many of years ago. So what about if someone carves the rocks today. hundreds of years from now this may be of interest to others. (I would not carve any thing into rocks, this is just a item for thought.)

"Pack out toilet paper" This is a little too extreme for me in most cases. Burring it below the surfaces well off the trail is sufficient, but I am discusted by seeing toilet paper (and human feces) on the trail or just off to the side.

"Be Considerate of Other Visitors" This is the key. The only problem is what is harmless to some is offensive to others.