Dont' toss your old Leki poles!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jade

I've had a papir of Makalu Leki poles for about 8 years now...the spring shocks just don't work anymore.....Stopped in at Ragged Mountain to look at a new pair....I liked the Black Diamond 'clip stop' poles but they didn't have the shock absorbers I require...The same pair of Leki's were about $120...in speaking with the fix-it wizard there, I learned that I could just replace the middle section that included the spring and a new tension unit for $22 each. So I left the store spending $44 for what felt like new poles, learned something about the quality of Leki poles.....not bad! :p

...Jade

Last edited:
Good tip!! For folks who 'need it now' and are not in close proximity to a store that carries Leki, the online option is a good one. That being said, the product is sold online at the suggested retail price which is $10 per pair more and that doesn't inlcude shipping.

post'r boy said:
99% of the time,leki will fix the problem for free! :eek:

Dont ya love companies that stand behind their products? I LOVE it personally. Hard to find these days, so when you find one, keep buying their products...and STAY OUTTA WALMART... ;)

M

i agree with ospreyboya here fo' sho'! the leki folks hooked me up when i needed the mid-section replaced licketysplit! one was even bent and they didn't even get mad. just replaced it for free. all dap to leki poles!!!! :)

Not that I'm flush with cash but...I've put a lot of miles on my Leki poles (8 years) and the problem I experienced was from wear and tear not defect...I would rather give my business to the store where I originally purchased them...Ragged Mountain did offer to read the warranty to see if the replacement should be at no charge. I declined the offer and spent my hard earned money to a business that I respect....it certainly is good to know that Leki does offer an excellent warranty program!!

I DO SUPPORT THRU HIKERS TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE FREEBIE OFFER ;)

...jADE

Last edited:
Jade,glad you had a good experience at Ragged Mountain. FYI they also carry many other replacement parts for poles not just Leki. I usually carry a backup expansion barrel which is the critical part with alot of the older non fliplock poles. Ragged has a fine assortment of those also. Ragged does mail order and does have a Website.

jade said:
Not that I'm flush with cash but...I've put a lot of miles on my Leki poles (8 years) and the problem I experienced was from wear and tear not defect...I would rather give my business to the store where I originally purchased them...Ragged Mountain did offer to read the warranty to see if the replacement should be at no charge. I declined the offer and spent my hard earned money to a business that I respect....it certainly is good to know that Leki does offer an excellent warranty program!!

I DO SUPPORT THRU HIKERS TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE FREEBIE OFFER ;)

...jADE

Supporting the local business is the main point you bring up, and I think thats great...and all in all, it hardly cost you anything really...

M

I broke a lower section of my Leki Makalu's glissading off of Allen Mtn. last February. E-mailed Leki directly and they sent me a new section, no questions asked, no charge.

That's good to know. I spent a bunch of time repairing one of my Leki's, and can tell you they're well built. I have a few sets of Komperdells, and while they're not as well built with their locking system, they have earned my trust over the years.

I was amazed when I took a spill into a river and fell onto one of the new carbon ones pretty hard. It held and really impressed me. I have deflected the aluminum ones many times to the point I didn't think they'd return, but was glad they did.

It's good to know Ragged Mountain carries stuff for them, I usually just get clothing and backpack repair gear there. Come to think of it, I need to make another trip for some zippers...

Lawn Sale said:
It's good to know Ragged Mountain carries stuff for them, I usually just get clothing and backpack repair gear there. Come to think of it, I need to make another trip for some zippers...

Tried, True, and Tested...Ragged usually has what you need that nobody else has;otherwise they can usually get it.

Trail Days

At Trail Days in Damascus, there were several manufactures on hand for equipment repairs. The hardest working reps were the Leki pole guys. They earned my respect that weekend.