Ideas for family hike?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trainwreck

Reaction score
Hi to all.. This weekend we will be in N. Conway. I know that snow has fallen, but still want to hike. We have done late spring/ early fall hikes before, and have crampons and ice tools, though I'd like to avoid using the axe, if possible, will still carry it. We do not have snowshoes, but are open to renting if necessary. We want to stay in the N.Conway area, and hike low.
I'd like to know if there are any nice 2-5 mile hikes that we could do. The kids are 11 and 12. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Hi bruised,

You might want to consider Kearsarge off the Hurricain Mountain Rd. I think the milage is a little more than your looking for though but there are nice views from the ledges just below the summit and there is a cool fire tower on the summit.

-MEB

If you want to hike low and will be in North Conway consider hitting the Boulder Loop Trail on the Kanc. Some nice views of the Swift River and the Passaconaway Valley. A good trail to do with kids and it's about 3 miles so it's in your range for mileage. I've done this trail a few times and found it most enjoyable. Give it a shot.

:)

There's plenty of nice low-level family hiking in the N. Conway region. Here's a sample, there's more:

Mountain Pond is low, easy and scenic. Make the turn onto Town Hall Rd. off Rt. 16 in Intervale (near the model railroad place) and follow it about 6 1/2 miles to the parking area on the right. Somewhere along the way, it changes name to Slippery Brook Rd. and turns to dirt. This is a popular area with snowmobilers if there's a good amount of snow on the ground.

If the previously recommended Kearsarge N. seems too challenging, continue on Hurricane Mountain Rd. to a substantial parking area near the height-of-land for the extremely popular Black Cap hike. Spectacular views. Significant snow accumulation will close Hurricane Mt. Rd.

A favorite of mine is Peaked Mt., which is a little more challenging. Artist Falls Rd. connects with Rt. 16 near the 1768 Inn. Take it past North-South Rd. and under the big railroad trestle. Make the right on Thompson Rd. and park in the small Pudding Pond parking area. Maps are available at the kiosk about 1/4 mile up the trail. Look for the snow fence or you'll be on the wrong trail.

Steve

Last edited:
I took my Mom and dad up Mt.Stanton a few years back, It might be easy for you but the trails nice and the views from the top of Whites ledge are fantastic.
Mt Avalon in Crawfords is very nice as is Mt Crawford, Mt crawford has really interesting views into the davis range area that are breathtaking. Mt Tremont near sawyer rock is also a great route to a nice summit with views into the pemi.

Mt. Potash offers outstanding views and a reasonable effort through beautiful forest. There is a brook crossing 5 minutes into the hike that shouldn't be a problem by the weekend. This has a nice mountain hike feel. You'll hike through gorgeous beech/birch which is orange and gold now, then enter a sharp transition into hemlock forest. In about 60-70 minutes you'll reach a nice ledge with a close-up view of Mt. Passaconaway, which will be frosty at the top. Then hike another 20 minutes to the summit with excellent views of about 300 degrees, including Mt. Washington.

Even the drive up the Kancamagus is pretty. The weather should be really nice for Saturday.

Happy Trails!

Thanks for all of your ideas. I'll check the WMguide and will probably do 2 of your suggestions, one tomorrow and one Sat.
bruised