Presi traverse January 24th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a link to Marc Chauvin's Website and his Presi traverse escape routes; the only thing that I would do differently is label the escape route bearings based on magnetic north (vs. true north) with a piece of tape on the back of one's compass.

http://chauvinguides.com/PresiTraverse/presiescapeguide.htm
A good reference.

You can convert the bearings to whatever reference you prefer in the warmth of your home before going out.

I have exchanged email with Chauvin about these pages: the lat-lon datum is NAD27. (The difference between NAD27 and WGS84 is ~220 meters in this region.)

If you have a GPS, you can pre-install the waypoints and the GPS will calculate the headings and distances from where ever you happen to be. (The notes, map, and compass would be complimentary with the GPS.)

Doug

Marcs escape routes are awesome! They made our winter traverse last year much easier when we got stuck in a whiteout. Bring them with you, you won't be dissapointed. We used crampons almost the whole way above treeline. The snow was really deep at Pierce and we had trouble finding the trail. The snow actually covered the trees and we were sinking in up to our waists when we stepped on top of a buried tree. If we weren't trying to beat the incoming storm we would have put on our snowshoes and probably had an easier time. We got below treeline just as things got really ugly. It was a very fun traverse! TR and pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfolcik/sets/72157604158225873/
As for the summer traverse my friend and I did it last July in a day. We started at 7am, summitted Washington, took a half hour break and then finished at 8:30pm. We summitted all the peaks including Madison, Webster, and Jackson. It was super fun! TR and pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfolcik/sets/72157606143189727/

Good luck and have fun this weekend! It sounds really fun!

Here is a link to Marc Chauvin's Website and his Presi traverse escape routes; the only thing that I would do differently is label the escape route bearings based on magnetic north (vs. true north) with a piece of tape on the back of one's compass.

http://chauvinguides.com/PresiTraverse/presiescapeguide.htm

Thanks for the information about the escape route. This summer I hike the presidential a lots and I use many different trail to been more familiar in winter.

Good luck Rejean . Its going to be a bit frosty for us all this weekend.
Climbing Stallion/BMT

It was too cold and windy for attempting the traverse. I went to
Crawford Notch saturday and sunday and I done Tom-Field-Willey and
Jackson-Pierce. Two easy day of 5 hours.

I am not sure about went I will attemp the traverse.

Good decision!
You had a good couple of days ay way

4 in my team got S Twin but they were beaten off the summit by the cold and wind.
I do not like to climb remote peaks when the forecast calls for falling temperatures thruout the day all the way down to 20 below......with wind .
Ill go back soon and get it.
Warmest wishes,
John

Good call

Good decision!
You had a good couple of days ay way

4 in my team got S Twin but they were beaten off the summit by the cold and wind.
I do not like to climb remote peaks when the forecast calls for falling temperatures thruout the day all the way down to 20 below......with wind .
Ill go back soon and get it.
Warmest wishes,
John

The National Weather Service (forecast.weather.gov) for Twin Mountain called for even temperatures during the day of 1/24/2009 - 14^F at 7am and 13^F at 5pm, and then falling into Sunday. I checked it at 4am prior to leaving for the Twins / Galehead traverse. It was clearly colder up high than 14^F.

Also, at least on Mt. Washington, the actual temp did drop from 0^F at 7am to -20^F at 7pm, and from 20^F to -20^F in the 24-hour period bounded by 10pm Friday to 10pm Saturday:

From http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2009/conditions-archive/20090124222147conditions.html:
20090124_222147_conditions-vi.jpg

We wondered if you guys had attempted the traverse and if and where you might have bailed.

Tim

Last edited:
It was unfortunate that is was so cold and windy because the visibility was unbelievable! We bailed on our trip too. We got up to Bondcliff and it was so darn cold and windy that we turned back. The forecast called for even colder temps the next day and I was not looking forward to a day on Franconia ridge in bitter cold windy condtions.
We ended up hiking Chocora and had a blast! Glad you were able to find fun things to do as well! Glad you are safe! :)

I was thinking of your pemi trip while we were on Galehead.
I bailed on S Twin as I didnt want to suffer unecessarily .
Climb onward

On saturday february 14th I will attemp the presi traverse. I hope that
this time the weather will be good. The last 3 weekend was very cold
and windy on the presidential. I plan a very early start to been at
the HC for dinner before 7:00 pm. After a good dinner I will return
to Appalachia or sleep in my bivybag if too tired.

Some one know if it is safe to return to Appalachia using Clinton road
and jefferson road (snowshoes) during the night?

I just read that the CLinton road is packed with snow machine travel .
My guess is the Jefferson Notch road is also
as the machines are all over up there .
Ill be rooting for you Rejean