Presi traverse January 24th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rejean

Reaction score
I plan a presi traverse from Appalachia to Crawford Notch and I will
try to reach all the summit including Jackson.

I will be very happy to have one or more partner in very good shape
for this tought hike.

The traverse will only be attempt on good weather and calm wind.

PM me if interested.:)

rejean.

presi traverse

if you had said the 16th I would have been right there with ya. maybe next time! sounds like a lot of fun though.

You are a machine.

I can't wait to read your trip report, cuz I know you are going to make it. :)

Thanks, you should had seen Pin Pin in action last saturday and sunday on
the Seward range... and he is the machine.:)

I just want to continued on my personnal list of 5k in the 12 month of
the year. Still need to traverse from Madison-Munroe for January and
February....

I echo una_doggers thoughts;)

Wishing you great weather and no wind!!!

Hope to cross paths again someday. Had a great weekend and bagged Cup Snow, White Cap & NKD! I feel truly blessed!

Hike on:D

I'll be the one to say it, I think attempting a winter presidential traverse alone is foolish. In the summer, over the solstice, we started at 5:30 and finished at Pierce, coming down the Crawford Path at just before 9pm. Admittedly, it was a large group, but we were also able to stop at Washington to refill water.

You need to carry a foam pad, a stove, a -20 bag, and all the water you are going to drink. You'll have to hike at least two hours in the dark at the start, and at least four, but really more likely over five, at the end, basically from Monroe on.

There are ample spots where you won't have cell phone coverage, and to do that distance in a day, you would have to go without gear or clothing you should never be on the ridge without.

At the very least you need two hikers, and you need gear to allow you to survive being benighted.

The question is not whether you can do it under ideal conditions. The question is not even whether you can do it under less-than-ideal conditions. The question is what happens if something goes wrong. If you fall and break your arm, which is easy enough to conceive happening, are you going to have a bag to climb into and a stove to start, and are you going to be able to open said bag and start said stove with one arm only?

Just my two cents.

Brian

I believe that there was a thread two winters ago by someone who soloed the Presi traverse during January in about 10 hours (maybe skipped Jackson, but did all the rest).

...to do that distance in a day, you would have to go without gear or clothing you should never be on the ridge without.

That's simply not true.

People have been doing Winter Presi Traverses, with plenty enough gear, in one day, for years. Solo, and in groups. 10 to 14 hours is typical for a fit person or group. It's not something that inexperienced winter hikers should try, but there are quite a few of people who know the range well enough to do this as a dayhike with an adequate safety margin, IMHO.

In many ways, a one day Presidential Traverse planned around an ideal weather day is actually much safer and easier than a multi-day traverse, given the typical winter weather variables involved over a 3 or 4 day span of time, and the loads involved in carrying serious arctic camping gear. I've done it both ways a number of times, and definitely prefer the one day version, hands down.

All of these are good points, also, you could consider starting your hike anywhere between 12 and 2 AM (alpine start) and then at least if anything was to happen you would probably have enough daylight to figure it out or at least get below treeline. Having ideal weather conditions is the ultimate factor though and seeing as Rejean said thats the only way he'd do it, I don't think he is foolish at all. There is always some risk involved but if you're in good shape who are we to know your capabilities?

Thanks to every one of you. I know the range very whell and been on it
11 times this year. And I would have enough gear to been able to spend
the night outside if necessary, but in case I have to I will go down the
ridge to avoid the high wind.

I prefer the one day traverse than the multiday because of the size
of the pack. I bigger pack and heavier one is not very good in the
high wind.

On good weather the traverse is faster in winter than in the summer,
all the big rocks are cover by lots of hard pack snow. I plan to start
at around 3 am for been on the ridge just before daylight start.

People have been doing Winter Presi Traverses, with plenty enough gear, in one day, for years.

Or, one NIGHT Presi traverses, such as the lunar eclipse south-north Presi traverse that three of us made in late January 1972 (although we skipped Adams and Madison).....a memory brought back by the full moon and the beautiful photos of your Presi traverse with UFCM this past weekend.....:)

The presi traverse is postponed to January 24th since my two kids
will be with me on the coming weekend. And the weather preview
is very cold for the 17th....

Presi Traverse. In favor of a winter traverse

Rejean,
Several years ago we were planning the winter presi traverse and one of our BMT has done the summer traverse. A lightning storm scared the bejesus out of him but he made it.

What we considered in our winter planning:

1.The heaviest item is fluid. Dont skimp on fluid. But NO WATER It only flushes out what you are trying to retain

Accelerade sports drink (Lance Armstrong's choice)will get you thru it. Weve been using it for years and the stuff makes a huge difference.
26 oz per hour (of uphill climbing) is the max your body can absorb.. Pre hydrate with electrolyte drinks.I use 20 oz widemouth vitamin water bottles which I add the Accelerade to.
They keep you on your hydration schedule and are much lighter than Nalgene bottles and dont spill and fit in a water parka with room for a cookie or 2

2.Footing is easier in winter and you can fly without worrying about boulders and crooked rocks.

3 There are several glissade opportunities which eat up down vertical and save your knees and energy

4.New technology (Denalis) means no crampons and no ice axe. Denalis level out our playing field and make the steps we take reasonable level and less tiring.

5. No crampons means instant ability to glissade.
Poles are by far the new choice for general mountaineering.

6 We would leave at midnight with a fair forecast and winds under 20 unless they were from the north or northwest.

7.We were going to have a friend meet us at the Eisenhower col with fluid and soup.
8. The trail between Mizpah and jackson is always questionable right at the time when you are most tired

Love your plan, cant wait to see your succesful trip report.
Ill be on the Twins that day (Jan 24th) so give a wave!

Warm wishes,
Climbing Stallion/BMT

[QUOTE=pks4000;259126]Rejean,
Several years ago we were planning the winter presi traverse and one of our BMT has done the summer traverse. A lightning storm scared the bejesus out of him but he made it.

What we considered in our winter planning:

1.4.New technology (Denalis) means no crampons and no ice axe. Denalis level out our playing field and make the steps we take reasonable level and less tiring.

5. No crampons means instant ability to glissade.
Poles are by far the new choice for general mountaineering.

Warm wishes,
Climbing Stallion/BMT[/QUOTE]

I would never go on the Presi without my crampons and ice axe.

The snow is soo hard pack that it could be very slippery for snowshoes
even Denali. And many times the ridge is very icy so the crampons are
very safe to cary or use.

I would never go on the Presi without my crampons and ice axe.

The snow is soo hard pack that it could be very slippery for snowshoes
even Denali. And many times the ridge is very icy so the crampons are
very safe to cary or use.
Agreed.
Conditions can also change very rapidly.

Doug

[QUOTE=Paradox;259154]This is good! I am in the Dacks this weekend. I will try to make the 24th! I also have a pair of boots:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

It will be fun to hike with you again. Our last April traverse was
one of my greatest hike of 2008....:)

Presi traverse update January 24th

We are 4 interested in the traverse:

Rejean,Unfrozencavemen,Farmer,Paradox

Here the plan for the traverse:

we meet saturday morning at 3:00 am in the Crawford Path
parking lots
From there we will take 2 cars, leave one at the Cog rail station
(if we have to bail out)
Drive to Appalachia with the other car

I plan to do Madison-Adams-Jefferson-Clay-Washington-Munroe-Eisein-Pierce