Loving Bird Story

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motabobo

Reaction score
Hi there.

Something really strange happened to me and my friends about a month ago. It was a beautiful day so we decided to do South Hale for the views…(joke) and for myself, I would continue to bag West Field afterwards. So I was kind of on a tight schedule but what happened made me delay my trip for well above an hour…

Now look at the picture….

I don't know the bird's name…I'll refer to it as HE, the partridge. Here's the story :

So we see first him along the way and he's kinda afraid at first, just like every bird. We are just unable to get close to him. Then one of my friend starts "speaking" to him, trying to imitate his own language:
Friend:"kkrrrr-kkrrr-krrkkkrr".
Me:"Damn it's only a partridge, let's move on, ok the bird did not fly away but get over it, come on !"
Friend:"kkrrrr-kkrrr-krrkkkrr".
Bird: "krrr-rrr-krkkrr".
Me:"What the f*** ! The bird's answering you !"

I then see this bird coming right at my friend, walking fast in circles around him. After 10 mins of this circus, we decided to move on but to our surprise, the bird is following us ! When we distance him, he just fly back at us to catch up…We stop again. He's just walking with us, between our legs ! Well guess what…he just walked something like 500 yards right to the summit canister with us (this is where this shot's been taken) !!! The first peakbagging bird I'd guess.

But that's not all. It first looked like the bird liked my friend better because there were having this casual conversation but to my surprise, it flew on my knees at some point…where I was allowed to rub the back of his neck ! OK ok he bite me the first couple of times I tried but at end he didn't look to mind at all. It then started to move his head right to left looking at me and after a couple of seconds I said: "I bet he wants to go on my shoulder !". Guess what…he just did that, then moved onto my head !

After the first contact I made with him, we presented him our arms on which he gladly climbed for our amusement and for our most incredible pictures…He never accepted food from us, eating instead the mushrooms on the ground.

Now, I know everyone will say it was a tamed bird. My question is, how could he have ended up there ? South Hale is not particularly a popular summit and if it was that tamed, he wouldn't have survived in the wild I guess (and it look like a well-grown, healthy bird). He was also really shy at the beginning and hadn't any interest in our food or anything else. He just seeked friendship I guess. So it makes me wonder if it was a tamed pet or not…Maybe it's a well known fact already…

Your thoughts ?

Great story. I think they were called Fools Chicken or something because you could approach then quite easily. I've had them peck at my ankles but never sit on my lap! They may not be the smartest bird out there.

it's a male Spruce Grouse

This is a male Spruce Grouse. They are well-known to be quite tame, and will often feed near humans without seeming concern. Along with berries and insects, they eat the needles and buds of spruces --- I have heard that they taste like creosote as a result, and therefore have no natural predators. At this point I am not sure where I read or heard this, but it would make some sense. The bird is sometimes called the "fool hen" because they often get so close to humans.

Damn, I should get out more often then...(which I think is not really possible :D ). Is it the same bird that's scaring the sh** out of you when they fly away from you when you are consumed in your thoughts on a solo hike ?! They all look the same to me :eek:

Motabobo said:
Damn, I should get out more often then...(which I think is not really possible :D ). Is it the same bird that's scaring the sh** out of you when they fly away from you when you are consumed in your thoughts on a solo hike ?! They all look the same to me :eek:

Yep, I've been attacked a few times, usually just a peck at the ankles and some hissing. Sometimes people kick them as was the case with this poor guy

sprucegrouse.jpg

Typically the birds that are flushed out of the woods during an early hike or a quiet or solo hike would be this bird's cousin, the Ruffed Grouse, which look drabber and very similar to the Spruce Grouse hen.

A wonderful experience out there! Really nice!

If the other grouse was really kicked by a human, it's a really good thing that I didn't witness the act. :mad:

Old timers believed the gray jays are incarnations of dead woodsman. I wonder if such a belief is held for the spruce grouse.

Your photo should be on a calander

forestnome said:
A wonderful experience out there! Really nice!

If the other grouse was really kicked by a human, it's a really good thing that I didn't witness the act. :mad:

It was a teenager, he thought a hawk had attacked him. We came on the bird only minutes after he kicked it.

Similar story

well- not really.

I was once hiking in the Whites between S. Twin and Guyot and I saw a male spruce grouse close to the trail that seemed to be paralleling me as I backpacked along. For no particular reason, I imitated the movements and sounds it was making. I guess I did a good enough impression of a male grouse that I got a very hardy response- I was attacked! It came running up to me and started to peck my shuns and feet. Well, I managed to escape with my life (so did the grouse) but I have learned that my animal imitation skills are just too good and I have tried to leave the practice alone- at least in the woods.

What a sweet story. It's the simple things in life that really matter :)
thanks for sharing.
kmac

I had one follow me (actually ran after me) once in the woods when I was orienteering once. It scared the hell out of me at first until I figured out what it was that was charging me. :D

Keith

Thought that with my friend's permission I would actually post the ultimate shot....enjoy :D

Motabobo said:
Thought that with my friend's permission I would actually post the ultimate shot....enjoy :D

Awesome, it's just sitting there like a parrot. :cool: