A learned skill put to good use.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carole

Reaction score
It really began as a safety practice for me many years ago, as I often hike solo, I made it a practice to check activity in the parking lots and to note the tracks on the trail. Though in snow it is much easier, even in mud or wet areas, tracks often show the direction and number of people on the trail. It then progressed more as a game to observe prints, how fresh they were, etc. Then one cold winter day my game became serious.

I began my hike noting my surroundings and then set off up the well-traveled trail enjoying the tranquility that winter trails bring. Though several routes leave from the parking lot I knew that a few people were ahead of me. After a bit I encountered them – an older gentleman and a young couple. The older gentleman was clearly upset. He lost his hiking companion and thought maybe he had hiked back to the parking lot. “No, I passed no one, and no one was in the parking lot.” This made him more concerned. As I got the details I assured him I would help.

They were hiking together and at one tricky spot one went up and over and the other went around. This is when they became separated. He (I’ll call him S) called and called and then began looking around and there was no sign of his friend (I’ll call D). While in his panic the young couple came upon him and also began looking around thinking maybe he’d fallen or worse. Although they also were coming up the trail they started to accompany him back to the parking lot. Then I met them. “Could he have continued to the summit?” They hike together regularly and S couldn’t understand D going on ahead or going back without him. No fresh tracks had come down the trail so I felt either he was lost or had continued up. We all now continued back up the trail to where he was last seen. Tracks were going in every direction where they had fanned out and looked around. I asked each of them to make a fresh print in the snow. They looked at me funny but complied.

I looked at all three prints and said, “Now let’s look for a print that is different.” We slowly worked our way up the trail a bit and then I saw the print I wanted. It came back into the trail from the same side he had detoured. It was now the only fresh print heading up the trail. I knew he had continued up. S was now visibly relieved as he felt his friend just disappeared. Now he knew he was okay and still walking but why had he gone ahead was still a question. I asked if they carried whistles. “No, but that would be a good idea” was a response from all three. I had mine and blew loudly then we were still and listened. Nothing. I asked a few more questions as to D’s gear and clothing. We all continued upwards but my pace was quick and they were tiring so the couple agreed to continue up with S and I would go on ahead to see if I could find D. I would blow my whistle two times if I found him.

I picked up my pace, blew one time my whistle occasionally, listened and continued to watch the prints ahead of me as I worked my way toward the summit. Then I saw some movement and called out his name. He called back. As I reached him he was very concerned. He’d lost his hiking companion.

D had gone all the way to the summit thinking that S was ahead of him and when he wasn’t there he started back looking for him. I explained that S was behind me coming up the trail looking for him. I asked if he heard my whistle. He had not! I blew my whistle two times to alert the others that I had found him. Then we waited and talked. He described how they got separated but when he got back on the trail S wasn’t around and since S was the faster one (because S is younger, 70’s whereas D is in his 80’s!!) he thought S was ahead of him and tried to catch up not understanding why his friend didn’t wait for him as he always did.

By now the others joined us. It was touching to see these two older men hug each other with joy and then start arguing about what happened. I shared their joy and was glad I had helped. Apparently the episode began as S when up and over the tricky area and D went around, S looked back down the trail and called D while D got back on the trail a bit further up without seeing or hearing S call him. He then hurried himself to catch up but they then got further and further apart.

We all continued to the summit and had a snack, talked with the younger couple for a bit and then I continued to hike down another trail with S and D…a very enjoyable pair who had plenty of tales to share of their hikes together.

You did a really nice thing :) That's classic mountain hiker spirit. It's always great to hear of it. Thanks!

May the good Karma you created visit you when you most need it.

Happy Trails :)

Very good. A good illustration of staying calm allowing one to gain a better understanding of what might have happened. Well done.

A wonderful story! Satisfaction and happiness will come to those who practice random acts of kindness. Nicely done. Sherlock Holmes could not have figured it out any better.

JohnL

carole said:
It was touching to see these two older men hug each other with joy and then start arguing about what happened.

They sound like brothers. Great story.

Excellent story!

Carole , I too often hike alone and love to watch the tracks on the trail - attempting to guess how many and who I will catch. Who'd have thought that it would be such a helpful tool?!

On another note (!), I am wondering if anyone has ever had any success w/ whistles - especially in the winter. In a group on time, we decided to give them a test since many folks were getting separated w/ the struggles through spruce traps. We were w/in about 30yds and couldn't hear the spruce-hugged whistler. The snow was dense on the trees and the wind was blowing, but we were quite suprised w/ it's ineffectiveness. Needless to say we reverted to eye-contact and left the whistling for warmer summer days.

There are an amazing number of ways that someone you think is behind can get ahead. One time we both thought I was behind so I was hurrying trying to catch up at the same time my companion was killing time waiting. This was fall so no obvious tracks, but just before the summit I hit a massive cobweb that I knew had been there for hours.

iceNsnow - what kind of whistle were you using? They are not created equal. If you don't have one, pick up a two tone marine whistle. Even the cheap plastic ones seem to carry farther that a normal one tone whistle.

- darren

forestgnome said:
That's classic mountain hiker spirit.

Well said.

Way to play Mr. Spock, Carole, and clear-think your way to helping a fellow traveller. Thanks for putting one on the positive side of the ledger!

Interesting beta on the whistles, by the way: popped a myth for me.

--M.

A red LoopdeDoo one?!

:D Darren - sorry I don't know what kind it was. One of the guys had just bought it and spent quite a bit for a whistle, so we were expecting big things.
I will look into getting a two tone for myself.
Thanks!

iceNsnow said:
:D Darren - sorry I don't know what kind it was. One of the guys had just bought it and spent quite a bit for a whistle, so we were expecting big things.
I will look into getting a two tone for myself.
Thanks!

While I wouldn't hesitate to get the best whistle that you can get, unfortunetly snow and blowing wind will really decrease the effectivness of even the best whistles. The best thing they have going for them in those conditions is that natural sounds don't operate on those frequencies and the other is that you will not tire or loose your voice blowing a whistle. Your far less effective yelling.

Keith

Thanks for all the nice comments. I somehow happen to be in the right place to help out as I have on several other occasions helped others that I fear may have been a SAR otherwise.

As to the whistle, I almost always carry one, but I only recall one or two other times I've needed to use it. And the one I recall the most it didn't help either - but then he's hard of hearing also - but that's another tale. ;)

Stupid question time -- The built-in whistles on your sternum strap of your backpack -- are they useful or useless? Better then nothing I suppose.

Presumably, this is the "cheap plastic two tone" to which Darren refers:

$3.75 from EMS... pretty cheap.

Tim

bikehikeskifish said:
Stupid question time -- The built-in whistles on your sternum strap of your backpack -- are they useful or useless? Better then nothing I suppose.
Potentially worse than nothing if they lull you into not carrying a decent one...

Doug

bikehikeskifish said:

Presumably, this is the "cheap plastic two tone" to which Darren refers:

$3.75 from EMS... pretty cheap.

Tim
The one I have on an REI UL 45 pack is useless - our tea kettle is significantly louder.

darren said:
iceNsnow - what kind of whistle were you using? They are not created equal. If you don't have one, pick up a two tone marine whistle. Even the cheap plastic ones seem to carry farther that a normal one tone whistle.

- darren

I put a whistlein my pack that my daughter's college handed out for the student's to use in case of trouble. The one time I used it is when I became separated from my friends--no one heard it. My guess is that it is only good in the city, and is not a good whistle for the woods. Thanks for the information on the two tone whistles,I'll be sure to pick one up.