Study: Beer beats water for (post activity) hydration

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder to what extent beer companies, like Corona, contributed to the 'study'? ;)

Now we just need a 'study' underwritten by Jack Daniels ...

my8431.jpg

Last edited:
Kevin Rooney said:
I wonder to what extent beer companies, like Corona, contributed to the 'study'? ;)

Now we just need a 'study' underwritten by Jack Daniels ...

Real beer drink'rs know that if that's the way you get your Vit-C, Scruvy can't be that bad.

Life is TOOOooo short to drink Bad beer

double_bag.jpg

Yeah... but who drinks water by the six-pack?

"(hic!) Thorry Ossifer... I'm not drunk... I'm jush really... REALLY... hydrated!"

As long as one does not reach the point of intoxication, it seems obvious that beer is a good source of clean water, calories, and even some nutrients. This study only gave the subjects a pint, which seems just about right. Human beings have been drinking beer as part of a healthy diet for millenia. The whole drinking beer to get smashed thing seems to be a more recent phenomena.

Some of my current favorites for "re-hydration" include Brooklyn Lager, Pilsner Urquell, and just about any good Pale Ale-Sierra Nevada,Wolavers, Magic Hat, Saranac, etc. And of course the fine brews of Keegans Ales, brewed in Kingston, NY. Support your local brewer! Or, better yet, brew it yourself!

Matt

griffin said:
Is it safe to mix beer with chocolate milk?
Probably, as long as you mix it in your stomach... :)

Actually, I use chocolate [skim] milk at home and plain water or electrolyte drink at the trailhead as recovery drinks. I've never tried beer as a post-exercise drink.

I would like to note that the study did not appear to include any reaction-time measurements as a function of the post-exercise drink. And the report did not say who funded the study...

Doug

Last edited:
Beer is the tastiest thing going during the post-hike endorphin rush, but it has one instant disqualifier for me while on the trail: it messes with fine balance. It also renders me purty darn sleepy if there's more than one involved, given the level of depletion my reserves have usually hit by then. While there's still work to be done (i.e. any time until the point at which a SAR fine would not be levied for the involvement of alcohol), I hold off.

But that's just me.

I think the WWW's caveat emptor clause should pretty much be assumed. Anyone who falls off of the North Slide while drunk because they read it was fun is probably already familiar with emergency services.

Last edited:
--M. said:
Beer is the tastiest thing going during the post-hike endorphin rush, but it has one instant disqualifier for me while on the trail: it messes with fine balance. It also renders me purty darn sleepy if there's more than one involved, given the level of depletion my reserves have usually hit by then. While there's still work to be done (i.e. any time until the point at which a SAR fine would not be levied for the involvement of alcohol), I hold off.

Sounds like a good, common sense approach.

Matt

<mod hat>
Let's not bring up old wounds, OK? Everyone have a beverage of your choice and relax.
</mh>

David Metsky said:
<mod hat>
Let's not bring up old wounds, OK? Everyone have a beverage of your choice and relax.</mh>

Thanks. I'll have another beer. :D