Wildflowers, Moose, and Views (Pond of Safety: 24-Apr-2009)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Finally, I did a hike that’s been on my list for a quite awhile. I went to the Pond of Safety using the following trails: Vyron D. Lowe; Crescent Ridge; Four Soldiers Path. This hike exceeded my expectations. Along the way, I got some terrific views, plus saw my first wildflowers of the season, and I saw a moose!

This hike was quite a study of contrasts. The south facing Vyron D. Lowe Trail was 99% free of snow/ice, and it had in bloom what I think are Round Leaf Yellow Violets. Whereas, the north-facing portion of the Four Soldiers Path still had plenty of winter with lots of snow still around.

Round Leaf Yellow Violets?
100_1511.JPG

Still Lots of Snow on North-Facing Portion of Four Soldiers Path
100_1530.JPG

The south-facing portion of the Four Soldiers Path has a very nice view of the Northern Presidentials.
100_1542.JPG

There is a unique view of the Northern Presidentials looking across the Pond of Safety.
100_1534.JPG

Oh! Below is the photo of the moose that I saw. It’s certainly not of Forestgnome quality. Nonetheless, it was great just to get a photo.
(Just as an “FYI”, the north-facing portion of the Four Soldiers Path has a LOT of moose sign!!)
100_1529.JPG

Just as one final footnote, I thought it was interesting to read in the WMG how the Pond of Safety got its name. The complete text is on page 546 of the 28th edition of the WMG, but in summary the pond got its name from an incident that happened during the American Revolutionary War. Four local men who had joined the Continental Army were captured by the British and were paroled on the condition that they not participate further in the conflict. But because they feared punishment if they were recaptured by the British, they went to an isolated area (now known as Pond of Safety) in order to remain out of reach until there was no further danger that they might be apprehended.

1HappyHiker

That shot of the Presis across the pond is awesome! I think that would be an amazing place for a photo come fall, if/when you have (foreground to background) the blue water, evergreens, fall folliage, and white Presis.

Nice!!! Thanks for the pics and TR. I'm planning on that area this summer.

Your bull has huge antlers! Those are massive beams. Most bulls have only little buds right now.

happy trails :)

Nice TR and great shots! Thanks!
. . . and thank you for the compliments!!

Great pictures, and a nice history lesson!
Glad that it was of interest to you to read the little excerpt that I extracted from the WMG about the history of Pond of Safety. It’s not everyone’s “cup of tea”, but my hiking experience is enhanced when I know some of the history about the areas that I visit.

That shot of the Presis across the pond is awesome! I think that would be an amazing place for a photo come fall, if/when you have (foreground to background) the blue water, evergreens, fall folliage, and white Presis.
Jeremy, I also thought that might be a good location for an autumn photo op.
Maybe someone will post a photo taken from that location during foliage season.

Your bull has huge antlers! Those are massive beams. Most bulls have only little buds right now.
Maybe things happen a bit more quickly on the north-facing side of the Crescent Range?!:confused:

Just an addendum to the history lesson: There are a goodly number of the descendants of two of those soldiers still living and active in the community of Jefferson. Those being the Hicks and Holmes families. Went all the way through the school years with their descendants. Danforth and Ryder were the other two soldiers. Their families are still in the area too.

Last edited:
Just an addendum to the history lesson: There are a goodly number of the descendants of two of those soldiers still living and active in the community of Jefferson. Those being the Hicks and Holmes families. Went all the way through the school years with their descendants. Danforth and Ryder were the other two soldiers. Their families are still in the area too.
Thanks Scott for that additional info about the living descendants of the soldiers for whom the Four Soldiers Trail is named. Very interesting!

Me likey the views, me no likey the snow! :D
Brian . . . know what you mean . . . I’m so “done already” with the left-over rotting snow for this season. Once we get beyond this (and the black-fly season), then we’ll be perfectly aligned for many, many fantastic months of summer, fall & winter hiking! Bring it on!!