Whitton Ledge and Foss Mountain (NH), 07/18/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket21

Reaction score
Whitton Ledge and Foss Mountain, NH, 07/18/09

Warning: This is a poor imitation of a 1HappyHiker trip report.

I believe the first time I noticed Whitton Ledge was on a Mt. Chocorua hike. I find obscure, smaller peaks to be quite interesting.

whittonledgeprofile.jpg

Whitton Ledge and Whitton Pond

No public roads reach Whitton Pond, so I decided to bushwhack in from the west. I followed a beautiful brook:
whittonfoss01.jpg

And soon arrived at the shore of Whitton Pond:
whittonfoss02.jpg

Other than a few kayakers and one or two cottages, the area is untouched:
whittonfoss03.jpg

The dock visible in this photo is in front of a cottage which has no vehicular access. The cove is a to-scale replica of the one on Gilligan's Island:
whittonfoss04.jpg

Soon after bypassing the cottage (which sits on its own peninsula of sorts), I bushwhacked up to the base of a large slab. While I wanted to go straight up the slab, the bottom was still wet from the earlier rain. I ended up bushwhacking around and going up the top 1/3rd or so:
whittonfoss05.jpg

Above this slab, I soon came to a sharp cliff. Looking more closely, I observed a bunch of metal stuff - cable, clamps, etc. - an old quarry!
whittonfoss06.jpg

Above this, I found a marked trail and followed it east to some nice views of Whitton Pond, the Ossipees, and Mt. Israel:
whittonfoss07.jpg

I'm not sure where the trail ends up east of this point, but I backtracked west and followed it along the top of the ridge. Chocorua, of course, dominates the views:
whittonfoss08.jpg

The trail continued along some more slabs, before ending on a subpeak. From there, I bushwhacked back to the pond and then down.
whittonfoss09.jpg

Continued...

Last edited:
...continued

The second hike of the day was nearby Foss Mountain. I wanted some blueberries to fill store-bought shortcake cups. I had been e-mailing with Amicus about some 'whacky adventure he was planning for the following day. Since Foss is a very short and rewarding hike, it seemed to fit into both of our Saturday pre-dinner schedules.

The wood lilies were on full display near the Foss Mountain Trail:
whittonfoss10.jpg

Near the north peak of Foss, we had a welcome breeze:
whittonfoss11.jpg

Since we were picking blueberries, Amicus made sure he wore appropriate colours:
whittonfoss12.jpg

Though hazy, the views from Foss were still great. Kearsarge North can be seen, though the Presidentials were obscured by clouds. A few blueberry pickers can be seen as well:
whittonfoss13.jpg

While Amicus had an appetite for views, I had a hunger for blueberries, so I left him at the summit whilst I loaded up on some excellent wild low bush blueberries.
whittonfoss14.jpg

Warning: This is a poor imitation of a 1HappyHiker trip report.
There are some things that are not worth imitating!:rolleyes:
Now on the other hand, your Bill Cosby imitations are a worthy endeavor!:D

Nice report Jeremy . . . my kind of adventure!

Whitton Ledge looks well worth exploring. I like to learn about places like that in my general vicinity.

As to Foss, I've loved it since discovering it for myself 20 years ago. The path to the open summit ledges is less than half a mile, so it is a perfect finale to a day spent doing other things. The skies were too hazy for really good views Sat., but this profile of the Ossipees may give you an idea:

595703711_egvQR-M-3.jpg

As to the blueberries, there are acres of them there - more than any other place I know. rocket21 once worked in the blueberry biz, so I had the sense to follow him to a choice patch, where I gorged (in moderation):

595704071_k3Ysq-M-4.jpg