A Big Resolution plus a Little Resolution (27-Aug-2009)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
The “Big Resolution” in the title refers to the traditional hike to Mt. Resolution. Whereas, the “Little Resolution” refers to South Resolution which is located about 0.7 mile from the traditional Mt. Resolution.

This is a unique area of the Whites. I even find it interesting how the name “Resolution” came to be. It was bestowed by Dr. Samuel Bemis in recognition of the determination shown by Nathaniel Davis to complete his trail (now known as the Davis Path) to Mt. Washington. Davis had become discouraged and had stopped his project. But with new “resolve” he eventually resumed his work where he’d left off, i.e. at the base of the mountain now called Mt. Resolution.

So anyway, here’s some brief info about my trip. It's presented in 2 parts.

PART 1: “BIG RESOLUTION”
As everyone who has been there knows, the views from “Big Resolution” are pretty darn good. Albeit, the vistas are scattered here & there, and so you can’t just sit in one spot and get the full picture.

I won’t bore you with photos of every view. And besides, many of you have been there and have your own snapshots. So, shown below are some of the views that I particularly like.

Crawford Notch View
100_2845.JPG

Close-Up View of Stairs Mountain
100_2851.JPG

View toward the Mt. Washington with Stairs Mountain in the foreground
100_2864.JPG

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
PART 2: “LITTLE RESOLUTION” (a.k.a. South Resolution)
After taking in the views from Big Resolution, I headed south on the Mt. Parker Trail to visit South Resolution. Let me say that in my humble opinion, this little peak is well worth the small amount of extra effort it takes to go there. However, judging from the condition of the heavily overgrown side path, it appears that not very many folks take the time to pay a visit to this place.

Finding the little side path isn’t easy. About the only clue I can provide is that after about 15 minutes of leaving “Big Resolution”, start looking for a large blowdown which is located high overhead and is perpendicular to the trail. The side path is then just a few feet away on the right hand side.

Even if you find the side path, then it’s still basically a bushwhack! However, it’s short (about a tenth of a mile) and well worth it. You’ll be rewarded with a 360 degree view atop a broad flat summit. It’s a wonderful place to hang out. On future trips, I’ll likely blow past “Big Resolution” and head straight for “Little Resolution”.:)

The views are plentiful. Here just a small sample of a few of my favorites.

View Toward Crawford Notch & Surrounding Mountains to the West
100_2879.JPG

South View Toward Chocorua
100_2876.JPG

North View Toward Presidentials Plus Wildcat & Carter Range
100_2883.JPG

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
John, we were there in May and you are correct, the southern peak is the place to go: great views and very few people go there.

South Resolution is now on my 'to do' list! The photos are spectacular, and thanks for including the captions to describe the direction of the shot.

Great TR.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Tom: It’s good to hear that someone else has been to South Resolution during this calendar year!

Chris: I agree. Stairs Mountain is quite a unique geographic feature. It can be easily picked out from so many different locations and used as a point of reference to identify other surrounding peaks.

Jabberwalk: Great to hear that you’ve put South Resolution on your list. That little peak is lonely out there and needs a few more visitors (but not too many:D)!

Brian: Yup! That whole area surrounding the Montalban Ridge is really nice. And, places like Resolution provide some degree of remoteness, but yet are easily done as a day-hike with plenty of time left over to sit and enjoy without feeling rushed.

Another great report, and it's been far too long since I have been on that ridge! South Resolution looks like a great spot to relax and enjoy the views!