The official 2010 Spring wildflowers thread...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w7xman

Reaction score
Flowers have been coming out in my area a little over a week earlier than last year, and people in southern areas should be on the lookout for Colt's foot, hepatica and early violets after the next warm spell, whenever that may be...

The past few years, these threads have been incredibly helpful in highlighting flower identification, chronology, and locations. To help brush up the skills until we get some fresh flowers...enjoy the last few years!

Happy hunting...and happy spring!

From 2009
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29309

From 2008
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21925

From 2007
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16638

1193817647_bce90db949.jpg

Not long now...

Last edited:
I hesitate to start this while people are still collecting their March grid peaks (and jn316 and I were carrying our snowshoes), but the flowers were out!

Hepatica, Bald Knob, Ossipees, 3-26
232323232%7Ffp63279%3Enu%3D3339%3E78%3A%3E478%3EWSNRCG%3D34543%3A7257337nu0mrj

Coltsfoot, Newcastle, 3-25
You can see why I didn't get a close-up...
232323232%7Ffp63276%3Enu%3D3339%3E78%3A%3E478%3EWSNRCG%3D34543%3A7256337nu0mrj

Last edited:
Pawtuckaway is awake!

Kevin and I hiked through Pawtuckaway this morning. Lots of hepatica is now in bloom, but little else. Found some trillium still in the stalk phase. No bloodroot or anything else in bloom. Found one big Blanding's turtle.

Here's the hepatica:
4486991691_f31b010941.jpg

Flower?

The Hepatica was beautiful in Pawtuckaway today, but the real find as Jim mentioned was the Blanding's Turtle. If I name her Flower can she be in this thread?
-1298.jpg

KDT

I always look forward to this thread! :)
I have seen coltsfoot, and lungwort in the Upper Valley. Also some places where bloodroot will bloom in a couple days.
I wonder how long until I see Trout lilies and spring beauties?
Last year, I saw my first trout lily on 4/23. I'm pretty sure we'll beat that!:rolleyes: I think we're about 2 weeks ahead of last year....

Not just flowers, wildlife too!

Oh, I am so bummed! Pat took Leo out for a walk at Arlington Great Meadows this a.m., and they ran into a huge snapping turtle which was strolling across the Lexington Christian Academy playing fields. It did not welcome Leo's "let's play" overtures. Pat forgot to take the camera in spite of my usual reminder, "you never know what you might see!"

I hesitate to start this while people are still collecting their March grid peaks

March grid peaks? What is that? Sounds like yet another list. Whatever...

Cool pics ;) I have yet to see Colt's foot or hepatica. I'm determined to score both of these this spring. I did see some yellow violets today along a stream on the SW flank of Wildcat Mtn. I took the lift to the top and bushwacked off the Wildcat Valley Trail.

Any tips on finding either of these much appreciated.

happy spring :) Go Sox

March grid peaks? What is that? Sounds like yet another list. Whatever...

Cool pics ;) I have yet to see Colt's foot or hepatica. I'm determined to score both of these this spring. I did see some yellow violets today along a stream on the SW flank of Wildcat Mtn. I took the lift to the top and bushwacked off the Wildcat Valley Trail.

Colt's foot is very common, shouldn't be too hard. I found some early last year in the wet areas on the side of the road between N.C and the entrance to hurricane mountain road.

Hepatica...that's a bit tougher...not common as far as location, but abundant where it grows. I've had poor luck in the whites, but some south facing slopes in the ossipees and the areas around squam are a bit more prevalent. Check the string of threads from the last few years too...

Colt's foot you can often find along dirt roads. I think it likes the gravelly soil. I first thought it was dandelion from a distance. I know where there is some hepatica near me, but that's likely too far :) I see it around here in rich hardwoods.

Good Luck!

jason