Hybrid Moonlight/Sunlight Presi Traverse 6.17.11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombadil

Reaction score

Long story short on Thursday afternoon, still nicely tired out from the Bruins victory the night before, we decided to take advantage of the (nearly) full moon for a hybrid moonlight/sunlight presi traverse. A moonlight traverse was a hike Sean and I have been meaning to try out. We met up for the carspot and were heading up Valley Way a little after 11 pm with the full moon poking out through the trees every now and then. We made good time heading up to Madison Hut and when we came out above treeline the full moon out to the south (between Madison and Adams over the Great Gulf) was a sight that stopped us both in our tracks to appropriately take in. I experimented with some camera settings on my antiquated camera but unfortunately most of my time spent taking photos during the moonlit portion of the hike was spent in vain but I did manage a few mediocre shots:
DSCN9971.JPG

Shot of the moon as we ascend Madison. The Washington summit lights are center.

DSCN9980.JPG

DSCN9995.JPG

I’d say what struck me the most about the hike was the unique mix of calm, quiet air mixed with stunning scenery. All we could hear was the occasional gentle breeze and the crickets. Seeing the bright full moon above Washington, lighting up the range, beckoned us to slow down and observe all there was to see—definitely not a PR type of hike. Knowing the sparse cairns and blazes on the upper Airline would be tough to follow under headlamp we nonetheless elected to take the direct approach up Adams. It was a little comical how the full moon was just over the summit of Adams as we headed up, the bright light in your eyes making it a wasted effort to look for cairns and blazes which even if illuminated by headlamp would still seem dark in comparison. However once we got off the north slopes as we headed to Jefferson (moon was to the south), the landscape was nicely lit up so that we could put the headlamps away. The sun rose as we were ascending Jefferson and we spent some time taking photos in all directions. I wish the pictures of the first light hitting the cliffs of Clay and the Great Gulf side of Washington did it some justice—surely something to see.
DSCN0017.JPG

DSCN0042.JPG

Monticello Lawn

DSCN0058.JPG

Sphinx Col

DSCN0083.JPG

Sean working his way up Washington

We made good time heading up Washington as we enjoyed the cool morning air and I must say one of the best things about getting up to Washington so early in the morning is we had the whole summit to ourselves since I presume the auto road wasn’t open yet.
DSCN0092.JPG

Hmm where's the line of people waiting to get their picture taken at the summit??

Heading down towards lakes of the clouds some black flies were out since the air was so calm but they weren’t too bad…yet. Shortly after going over Monroe we passed a girl in a sports bra with blood dripping down from her shoulders, chest, and stomach. Apparently the black flies ahead were fairly hungry. Unfortunately with such a calm, warm morning on a relatively sheltered hike there was zero moving air to keep them at bay but they were out in such force that there were always swarms about you even if you never stopped. They were marginally better by the time we hit Eisenhower and Pierce but the damage was done.
DSCN0130.JPG

Having trouble smiling on Pierce with black flies having me for breakfast.

DSCN0133.JPG

The black flies apparently like Sean...A LOT.

The flies were more than an annoyance but it comes with doing above treeline hikes this time of year, especially on the good calm, sunny days. We both agreed we’d definitely be game to do a moonlit traverse again, perhaps only changing the start time so we could enjoy more of the full moon and possibly catch both sunset and sunrise. All in all it was great hike to finish off my Spring 48 and it was awesome to have the whole range to ourselves, seeing it all in a different light (pun intended)!

Pat
pcushing21 at yahoo dot com

Last edited:
What a fantastic idea; I'm putting this on my to-do list. With the exception of the blackflies (that photo -- wow!), it looks like you had a wonderful time up there. Congrats!

Splendid effort! I really like the first shot with the lights on Da Rock Pile in the distance. The last shot of Sean's legs reminds of my itchy neck from multiple black fly bites from hike on Friday. Is it just me, or are the black flies worse this year than in the previous few years?

What a fantastic idea; I'm putting this on my to-do list. With the exception of the blackflies (that photo -- wow!), it looks like you had a wonderful time up there. Congrats!

Thanks, it was a great hike and was quite different than doing it in mid-day as we saw only a handful of hikers in total and zero in the first 9 hours or so of the hike. I saw a posting here a year or two ago and I liked the novelty factor--highly recommend it!

Thanks Dr. D, it was a fun one. The bugs on the southerns were the worst I've ever been out in, and was surprised at how ferocious they were because my selective memory had them pegged at starting to get better by mid-June. Sean ended up in the ER on Saturday due an allergic reaction to the mass # of bites and bacterial infection from his legs effectively being an open sore. He's doing better now but crazy nonetheless.
DSCN0132.JPG

Awesome trip and photos! When I first glanced at the photos, I thought the spackling on the legs was mud! I didn't realize it was blood! Sweet Moses! That's hard livin'

Petch

We made good time heading up Washington as we enjoyed the cool morning air and I must say one of the best things about getting up to Washington so early in the morning is we had the whole summit to ourselves since I presume the auto road wasn’t open yet.
It seems more likely that you photo-shopped this picture than that you really had the summit to yourself! :p ;)

It seems more likely that you photo-shopped this picture than that you really had the summit to yourself! :p ;)

It seems hard to believe, no? Our only company was the black cat basking in the morning sun. I've seen bigger crowds there in the middle of winter!

Out of curiosity, was he wearing deet (or reapplying)? If so that is frightening! I usually swell up half a limb from one blackfly bite, so I would probably suffer a similar fate.

Horrible bug aftermath aside, well done and great hike, must be especially surreal on a moonlit night up there.

Out of curiosity, was he wearing deet (or reapplying)? If so that is frightening! I usually swell up half a limb from one blackfly bite, so I would probably suffer a similar fate.

Horrible bug aftermath aside, well done and great hike, must be especially surreal on a moonlit night up there.

Admittedly neither of us brought any bug dope, we knew we'd only have a few hours in the sun so the thought of carrying bug spray never crossed our minds. The old plunge and pray strategy doesn't always work ;)

It sounds like you're as allergic to black flies as I am to bee stings--scary stuff if you get caught out in something real nasty. A few more weeks of them at their peak, hopefully...

Thanks John, it was a surreal hike; in the past I've been partial to sunset hikes but overnight/dawn hikes now have a bit more appeal. I just gotta figure a way to do em without forgoing sleep for 36 hours. Thank goodness for coffee and redbull!

very nice!

I like the idea of sunset to sunrise, with full moon hike for a prezzi t.:cool:
BTW I thought I had won the award for getting chewed and screwed by the blackflies on my last day ridin (snowboarding, tux 6-7-11) however, by the looks of those legs!:eek: