Marcy by bicycle

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete_Hickey

Reaction score
Hull, Quebec. Avatar: Wanna come out and play?
I was scheduled for a climb of Marcy with the head ADK trails guy, and head summit steward at 9:00 AM Friday morning, but had to work Thursday. Supposed to meet them at ADK Loj at 9:00 am. Normally it would be easy, but my car was already at the Loj without me. Fortunately I had a bicycle.

So, 4:00PM thursday, and 160 miles to do in the next 17 hours. FOrtunately, I was able to hitch a ride in a car for about 50 miles, so by 5:30PM, I just had 110 miles to cycle to get to the base of Marcy.

Border crossing is always fun on a bicycle. "Any Alcohol, Tobacco, or firearms?" "No, sir, just granola & gorp.... And no beef." And I was in the US of A, at the Akwasasne reservation, with the cheap gas, although it didn't do me much good.

Kind of hot and humid as I headed toward St Regis Falls. I was figuring on doing 60 miles Thursday night, then getting up at 3:45 and doing another 50 miles. I had planned on sleeping near the St Regis River where it crossed the 495. I got there as it was getting dark, stopped, and noticed that the area was filled with fisherpeople. Wouldn'T be a great place for sleeping, so I refilled my water bottles with St. Regis. River water, and continued on down the raod.

Several more miles, and I stopped, carried the bike up a hill, sat down smoked a cigarette, and thought about cooking my supper. All of the sudden, zillions of mosquitos came out, poking their probosci in me and sucking my blood. Know how it is when you're hot and sweaty and the mosquitos just love you. So bad, that I gave up on having supper, set up my tent and went to sleep.

Now, I have to tell you about my alarm clock. I have no problem waking up at 5:00AM, but 3:45 is a bit tough without something to help. Usually I use the alarm on my watch, but as luck would have it, the battery was running low, and it didn't beep. Before leaving, I looked around, and the only alarm clock I could find, was an 8" high wooden mantle clock, so I brought that along.

Unfortunately, I'm not used to analog clocks, and I missed setting the alarm by an hour. I woke up at 4:45, realized I was late, and hopped on the bicycle to do the 50 miles to the Loj. It would be a bit slower than the day before, because there were a lot more hills.

By 6:00AM it was fairly hot, and when I got to the loj at 9:00AM, and went in to ask for Wes, they wondered why I was so wet. Most people don't look all sweaty until quite a bit later in the day.

So hear I was, already dehydrated, and just starting to climb Marcy. And the climb would be with two very fast hikers.

A beautiful hot day as we did a slow run to Marcy Dam, stopped for a bit of foot taping, then set a steady fast pace, and went non-stop until the plateau, where I refilled my water bottles.

Another 15-20 minutes and we were on the summit, where we met Len, who had come over from Gray. I sat down, and drank half my bottle, before I noticed that there were a few critters still kicking and swimming in the water. Either I didn't put enough iodine, or these larger things were imune.

After a bit of rest, Wes, Krista, Len & I walked several routes toward Gray, mapping out the alpine vegitation, trying to decide on a route that would do the least amount of damage to the fragile plants. There sure were a lot of them, all in bloom. I wish I knew more about them, but that's why we had Krista along with us.

So, after talking, walking, and planning, we were back on the summit of Marcy, where we watched a state helicopter below us, as it flew through the pass between Skylight & Marcy, then over the FLowed Lands, then through Avalanche Pass.

A bunch more photos of plants were taken, then we headed down, at a moderate clip, making it down in 2.5 hours.

Interesting to me was the effect of a 50 mile bike ride before the climb. Granted, Marcy isn't that tough of a climb, but it was still a decent workout. The starting off dehydrated was one of the tougher parts. That and then, when I was on the summit, coming to the realization that my lunch was back in my bicycle.

Last edited:
I always enjoy your "trip reports", Pete, and quite a trip many of them turn out to be. You've got to be the most dedicated trail worker in the entire northeast and hands down the most entertaining.

Thanks Pete, for the entertainment value and the forced humility...just when I start to get full of myself and think I've done something impressive, you remind me of what real "fun" is! And by the way, thanks so much for all the work you do in the mountains. It is truly appreciated.

Mantle clock on a bike???? I can't wait to run into you (and your chain saw) on a trail some day. I'll then have my own adventure to post! :) :)

TMax said:
Mantle clock on a bike????

Yeah. Kind of weird with a less than 5 pound tent sleeping bag pad, then carrying a several pound clock. Here it is:

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/tmp/clock.jpg

I should have carried it up Marcy with me. Then when someone would ask me if I knew what time it was, I could just pull out my clock.

Unbelievable. I especially like the border crossing tidbit. I also second T-Max's thanks for all the trail work. I've only been to the High Peaks a mere twice and I believe I've already been through areas that have known your famous chainsaw.

Matt

Pete_Hickey said:
Yeah. Kind of weird with a less than 5 pound tent sleeping bag pad, then carrying a several pound clock.

I guess buying a watch battery in Ottawa is harder then biking a big clock over the border.

You ever cross at Ogdensburg? That's been my route of choice. I don't think they let pedestrians over that bridge though.

Pulling the clock out on top of Marcy would have been SO funny.

Good job,
Shayne

Can I have some of your energy....just a piece I think will do!!!! And you wanted us to hike with you. My kids have energy but not that much! You are an inspiration to all. I'm glad you have all that energy and can put it to good use!

spaddock said:
I guess buying a watch battery in Ottawa is harder then biking a big clock over the border.

You ever cross at Ogdensburg? That's been my route of choice. I don't think they let pedestrians over that bridge though.

Matter of timing for the battery. I was really pressed for time before leaving.

Odgensburg is longer, except for maybe Santanoni and Seward trailhead. A bike is a vehicule. It can cross that bridge.

sli74 said:
Did you ride back home also?

No. I have a deal with my son. He works down at the Loj. I let him take my car to get down there, then the week after, I cycle down for trailwork and to pick up my bike. (our schedules never match). Wen he has a week off, I drive down, and cycle back. This was the third bike ride this summer, but the first where I was really pressed for time.

The Sikes said:
And you wanted us to hike with you. My kids have energy but not that much!

Offer still stands. One of these times you're around this way. I'm not particularly fast, I just can keep going a long time.

every once in a while I start to think I do pretty good for a soon to be 48 year old . Then I read your reports and realize I got to go workout some more :eek:

"stopped for a cigarette" on a 160 mile bike ride and Marcy Climb - hilarious irony!

:D

KZ

Clearly we need to incorporate hiking into the Tour de France; Pete would kick everyone's ... tires!
:)

Pete, you are a gem, a diamond in the rough.
SherpaKroto is so right, you need to write a book! Think of all the laughter you would bring to people. The clock bit really is a killer.

I can't wait to meet you someday on the trails, just please , please don't swing a machete, double bitted axe or running Husqavarna at my head as your greeting. But if you do, then I'll know it is truly the one and only Pete.

Golly, my son was all worried about me saying I would bike the 35 miles to pick up my car today if I couldn't get a ride. He really has to read this thread.

Obviously, Marcy is too easy when one remembers a lunch, and without a strenuous workout immediately beforehand. :eek:

Awesome, Pete! I'll be interested in checking out the route via Gray sometime.

Last edited: