Jay Range

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your refering to Jay Peak and Big Jay, there are really two ways up, both on the Long Trail. Shortest way is from RT 242. The LT isn't marked from the road, it's at the crest of highest point in the road, there is a pulloff on the right (as your heading towards the resort). It's about 2 miles from the Ski parking lot, you can't miss it. From there it's 1.7 miles to the summit which is completely open, again, you can't miss it.

You can hit it also from RT 105, and take the LT south, it's about 7 miles to the summit that way.

Trail is marked, blazed in White (as the rest of the LT is).

Big Jay has a canister marking the summit, it's officially trailess, but a herdpath over to it is about 100 feet on the LT North as you drop back into the woods from the summit of Jay Peak.

Let me know if you need any more information, here is a small report and some pictures to help you:
http://www.forthoseabouttorock.net/climb/NE/jayridge/jayridge.html

Last edited:
If you are talking about the Adirondack Jay Range the trail is not marked but is easy to follow. There is a big cairn on top. Great hike.

The NY Jay Range

Directions to the Jay Range Trailhead:

As you enter the village of Keene on Rt. 73 (not to be confused with Keene Valley where the Noon Mark Diner is located), Rt. 9N branches to the right (north) at the famous Elm Tree Tavern. From that "Y" it is exactly 3.0 miles north on 9N to Styles Brook Road on the right. Follow Styles Brook Road east and up a hill. You will top out at a most magnificent cobble stone barn (part of the Highlands Farm) on the right and shortly after that the pavement ends and turns into an excellent graded dirt road. Continue on this dirt road until you reach the triangular junction of Glen Road (still dirt) and bear left (north) on Glen Road. Continue on Glen Road and it will return to a blacktop surface and begin to descend to another "V" junction with Luke Glen Road. Turn right on Luke Glen Road at the "V" and go about 50 feet from the point of the "V". The "hole" in the forest for the start of the herd pathis on the left (fairly easy to spot) up a short and steep bank marked by a NYS DEC Wilderness sign. There is also a bright yellow 2" diameter pipe sticking up about a foot above the ground. The herd path begins at this point. There are clear road signs at all the turns and intersections.

Although this route is not marked (there are some faded paint blazes on trees), it is easily discernable. In fact, if you can find the start of the route (which isn't that difficult), this “trailless” gem is a pleasure to walk and offers one of the most scenic, open ridge walks in the Adirondack Park. It is a mini-version of the East Trail from New Russia to Rocky Peak Ridge. The RT distance (to Jay Peak) is around six miles and the vertical ascent is about 2100 feet. It is a rugged, remote wilderness that rewards those who reach the ridge with a panorama of High Peaks that extends from Rocky Peak Ridge and Giant Mountain through Whiteface Mountain and Esther (and most everything in between). If you enjoy the Nun-da-ga-o Ridge, this trip is as good or better! There are cairns that increase in size and architectural beauty all the way to the summit of Jay Peak. I highly recommend late September for hiking this route as the surrounding panorama of fall colors is breathtaking from the ridge.

The High Peaks Region Guide refers to this hike as, "minimum maintenance and marking". It would be wonderful to keep this path the way it is as a reminder of "the good old days of paths less traveled". It is also a fine example and valuable (albeit limited) experience in route finding (an essential hiking skill on the endangered list). There is something to be said for the adventure of venturing off the beaten paths of the High Peaks. It would be wonderful to be able to return here in the future and feel the same remote, wilderness experience once so available in the Adirondacks.

I have mixed feelings about posting this for fear that by increasing public awareness, these "remote" places will meet the same fate that many others now share. You might want to hike it soon before it goes away.

We (Rik, I & others) were there last month. I'm almost certain the trail is now marked pretty well. It certainly is easy to follow and up high, on the long rocky ridge, there are paint blazes to guide you.

The trailhead is not marked, but Pete's directions are pretty accurate. One note to remember though; The trail was re-routed years ago (10 maybe) and the trail shown on many maps IS NOT ACCURATE. The trail no longer goes anywhere near Merriam Swamp. The approximate location of the trailhead is -HERE-

I'd take the opposite stance as Pete and encourage others to this trail for a few reasons. 1) It's a great hike. 2) the last 3/4 mile (it's only about 2-3 miles all told to the summit) is over bare rock, so the trail would hold up well to traffic. and 3) ANYTHING that might draw traffic out of the High Peaks and relieve the tremendous pressure there cannot hurt. That said, I can certainly understand where Pete is coming from ;) (this is a true gem).

As for Saddleback (another large peak in the Jay Range nearby). It's totally trailess and we bushwhacked up it and then over to Jay from there. It's not the most difficult b-whack out there, but I wouldn't attempt it unless you are very comfortable off trail with a compass and/or GPS (it's not a straight line). It has a great summit area as well.

Last edited:
I was with this group, and I concur re Jay Range trail. It appeared to be quite a straightforward, clear path all the way.

Dick

mavs00 said:
We (Rik, I & others) were there last month. I'm almost certain the trail is now marked pretty well. It certainly is easy to follow and up high, on the long rocky ridge, there are paint blazes to guide you.

The trailhead is not marks. Pete's directions are pretty accurate. One note to remember though; The trail was re-routed years ago (10 maybe) and the trail shown on many maps IS NOT ACCURATE. The trail no longer goes anywhere near Merriam Swamp. The approximate location of the trailhead is -HERE-

I'd take the opposite stance as Pete and encourage others to this trail for a few reasons. 1) It's a great hike. 2) the last 3/4 mile (it's only about 2 miles all told to the summit) is over bare rock, so the trail would hold up well to traffic. and 3) ANYTHING that might draw traffic out of the High Peaks and relieve the tremendous pressure there cannot hurt. That said, I can certainly understand where Pete is coming from ;) (this is a true gem).

As for Saddleback (another large peak in the Jay Range nearby). It's totally trailess and we bushwhacked up it and then over to Jay from there. It's not the most difficult b-whack out there, but I wouldn't attempt it unless you are very comfortable off trail with a compass and/or GPS (it's not a straight line). It has a great summit area as well.

Jay (NY) Range

A friend mentioned to me, recently, that he saw an ADK member wheeling the trail. The ADK member told him that the distance from the road to the first overlook (not the slide; the one above it) is two miles and the main summit is one mile beyond.

The last time I was on the true summit of Jay, the summit cairn was smaller than the previous summit. I may ascend, today to ascertain the cairn...and also to enjoy the hike and view.

The road names have changed -- "Glen" and "Luke Glen" have been replaced with "Prestonia Rd" and "Jay Mtn Rd"

Moose

Jay (NY) Range

Often I hear people worrying about certain area in the High Peaks receiveg too much traffic, about pristine trailheads being over visited. While it may be true on a major three day weekend, such as July 4 or Columbus Day, the rest of the year it's generally not the case.

Most people who hike the area of the High Peaks tend to stay there. Very few people venture out and past the "comfort zones" of marked trail and 46'er hedpaths.

Also note that while there are many online groups, such as VFTT, ADK-forums and Yahoo Groups, about 90% of the hikers don't know of the existance of any of these sites. How do I know? Because often in conversations with hikers, I ask them:
"Where did you hear of this hike?"
"I was at the Loj and I purchased this book at the Center [HPIC]."
"Did you read about it on VFTT?"
"What's VFTT......?"

So be it! We're safe.

Moose

Last year Jay was the most crowded hike I did all year. Peak foliage and impeccable weather brought out a big crowd. So, the word is definitely out.

And yes, the second bump cairn is a beauty. It reminded me of mini version of the one near the summit of Jefferson.

Parking

Great info in this thread. I have not done this gem yet, but I am planning - perhaps during fall foliage on a weekday.

One part of the original question that hasn't been addressed yet is parking. If somebody has more up to date info please add. The new 13th edition of the ADK High Peaks Region guidebook has a good path description and the following on parking.
The new approach is on Glen Road at its jct. with Lake Glen Rd. ... The DEC hopes eventually to create a small parking area at this access point, but parking is not a problem on this lightly travelled back road.
But do notice the road names mentioned by moose mckenzie in a post above which apparently were after the publication date of the new guidebook..

Mark Schaefer said:
One part of the original question that hasn't been addressed yet is parking. If somebody has more up to date info please add.

Parking is right along the road side. By the telephone pole you'll see the obvious trail heading into the woods. Once above treeline, just keep heading toward the next higher bump. I believe the fourth one is Jay. You'll love this one in the fall. Lots of brilliant red maples along the way, giving way to the goldens as you climb higher. With the clean air you can follow the Long Trail from the "other" Jays down to Stratton. Enjoy.

I waited a day before posting to get information from those who have recently been up in the Jay Range area. It is indeed a spectacular one with many open vistas, and not a bad area for bushwhacking either. At least that's the way it was when we were there about 10 years ago. The current trail that "mavs00" describes the location of wasn't there for us. A request to private landowners to follow the trail that shows on the map about a mile south of the current trailhead was denied. With car spotting, I think a good one way day hike is: use the present day trail to the summit, then bushwhack south over to Saddlback. There's a completely open 180* view just south of the Saddleback summit that's not to be missed! Another open vista nearby peak worth visiting sometime is Slip Mtn, to the east. REF: Topozone Map. Continue your bushwhack south to your second vehicle you left along the road east of Frenyes Mtn. Be aware that the condition of the road there is questionable, and 4WD is advisable. REF: Map 2

Great info Dennis. We did the route in the exact opposite as you did. One thing to note AND IT"S VERY IMPORTANT............. Make sure that if you b-whack, you drive to the height of land near Frenyea Mt. Right about at the -RED X-. Below thatn along the road, is private property. The guy who owns it is a nice guy, BUT HIKERS ARE NOT WELCOME WITHOUT PERMISSION. If, your going for both, I'd suggest starting here and going over to Jay, that way, you know you'll avoid the private land.

As Dennis states it's a real nice b-whack up (i.e. mostly open), Just take care between the two peaks. It's easy to get turned around and there are lots of cliffs and such to negociate.

Thanks for the great info everybody. We were there this past weekend and I wanted to make one little update. The left turn off of Styles Brook Road is actually labeled "Upland Meadows" now. At the stop sign at the bottom of this road it does say "Prestonia".

By the time we got to the trailhead it was raining pretty hard, so we actually didn't do the hike. Next time!