11 types of people you meet on a hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha, awesome. We've all seen these people, and we are all the people too. It is nice to be able to make fun of ourselves.

Well I haven't seen a prison guy...that I know of? I bet you I've seen an ex con or three.

The unprepaired hiker. you know, the couple doing a high peak in sneakers and one water bottle.:eek:

Sour puss. Say how ya doing with a big smile and they walk by you like you wern't there:(

Don't forget the dog who takes people for a hike ... does three miles to their one and throws in some bushwhacking for good measure. And, is gracious enough to let them think they're taking the dog hiking.

The unprepaired hiker. you know, the couple doing a high peak in sneakers and one water bottle.:eek:

I met two of them on Washington, just above lions head in horrible conditions, dressed for north conway, eyeing the summit cone. One of the guys ask me if they could make the summit, he suggested that he could use his very big knife to ascend the icey cone as an ice axe, I smiled and said "hell yeah you can do it" just doing my part to promote Darwins theroy.:eek:

You may not know for sure if the escaped prison convict is escaped for sure, but you must have met at least one person who gave you those vibes. Or maybe that's just the AT.

I was almost at 13 falls once, bout 6 miles off the kanc. i caught up to the guy in a loincloth, bare feet, scrubby hair and beard, and had a pointed stick and a wineskin. he said the spear was for spearing fish. he also said he had been up on mt kancamagus for 3 days. mt kancamagus has no trail. this guy just LOOKED like someone who had gotten out of jail..hehe.

Lol, that's awesome :)
As trail maintainers in the Pemi Wilderness, FisherCat and I have seen it all and we shake our heads in humor or disbelief every time....

Last edited:
Need we forget

Hikers who carries a swords, "Flash back"

the para-military hiker dude

or the how far is it to....? guy

#26. The guy with the axe and bottle of Jim Beam.... Seen him many times...

-Dr. Wu

Introduce yourself next time and maybe I'll let you have a drink...

#40-something: Met a few kind enough to take backpackers into their homes on wicked cold nights for warmth, food, and some recovery. Trail Angels.

Last edited:
Oh dear, I am sure I have seen several of the prison escapees out there!

How about the former sevice guy who hasen't done anything physical since boot camp 25+ years before and hauls out all of his old gear and attempts to hike Washington with 50#s of 'who knows what' in his external frame pack?

;)

The Sweet Older Couple – Proof that you can be active at any age. Older hikers inspire the younger, out-of-breath chaps to strive for a life of health and fitness.

I always like seeing them for the reasons stated above.

I was almost at 13 falls once, bout 6 miles off the kanc. i caught up to the guy in a loincloth, bare feet, scrubby hair and beard, and had a pointed stick and a wineskin. he said the spear was for spearing fish. he also said he had been up on mt kancamagus for 3 days. mt kancamagus has no trail. this guy just LOOKED like someone who had gotten out of jail..hehe.

I'll bet he had a Capital One card.